Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: no possibility of usb drive (platter)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all. i know that it's been ascertained that at the moment a platter usb drive will not work in the system, but i'm unclear about whether this is an actual electronic limitation, or a software (somehow..?) limitation. is there any hope/thought that a platter drive (one that runs on usb bus power) might eventually work in the car? i mean why would it not? the usb ports must have standard bus power to charge phones and whatnot, correct? 5VDC i think it is.. what else would be the holdup here...?

i'd like to have my whole lib in there, but it's around 225GB now.. VERY expensive thumbdrive. i can downsize to a thumb, but that just requires maintenance, i.e., periodically selecting new music, copying, etc... rather than the simple update of copying the whole lib every now and again... much easier.

thanks for the thoughts..

is that what you use? does anyone use two usb thumbs? i think i saw that in someone's pic recently... does it work well, the browsing seamless alphabetically or do you have to switch devices to search? and, of course, you're taking up both ports... which is an unnecessary drag.

I have 2 small capacity thumb drives attached now; one for my music, one for son's; makes it easier for finding the right songs when driving to / from school (Christmas with the Chipmunks is going to drive me bonkers very soon) and another set for me when running errands.

There doesn't appear to be any way to combine the lists between the two devices, at least with the older firmware (not upgraded to 4.x yet)

Very cool! And you can switch back and forth? Can you post a picture of the screen showing the 2 USB drives????

Yeah, the two devices show up in the list of "My Music & Devices", although they don't use the volume name from the drives, just a generic "USB x" name.

TeslaMediaUSB.jpg

Yeah, the two devices show up in the list of "My Music & Devices", although they don't use the volume name from the drives, just a generic "USB x" name.

Thank you for the posting of the pics. I am waiting for my MS, so this is a close as I can get to living the dream!

How big a USB do you use? Do you know the limit for the USB drive? What file system? NTFS?

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm that using a platter drive does work. I have a 500G Hitachi drive that has my MP3's and it works as you can see below:

Another great post with pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the posting of the pics. I am waiting for my MS, so this is a close as I can get to living the dream!

How big a USB do you use? Do you know the limit for the USB drive? What file system? NTFS?

- - - Updated - - -

Another great post with pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a 500G drive, formatted to one entire 500G FAT partition. Format was done by my Macbook Pro.