Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: OCD Playlist solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PattyChuck

Model S P100D, Model X P90D
Jan 24, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
I've got a touch of OCD (my wife loves it because I always do the dishes). I was disappointed that the audio system doesn't yet support playlists or recognize my iPod Touch. I have a 2-year-old daughter that has some very strict musical requirements for our daily drive to day care (OCD, just like her old man!). Due to an intermittent Bluetooth connectivity problem (it's my phone that's squirrely, not the car) I have my music library loaded on a thumb drive. Originally, I had copied all of the music from playlists into folders on the USB drive, but as drivers of the car may know, if a song is played from the folder browser, the car doesn't display any ID3 tag information (Album, Artist, or Album Artwork). This bothered me more than it should have, but I found a cheesy yet workable solution. Since all of my music is copied to the thumb drive and thus wouldn't affect my original library, I figured I could edit the ID3 tags to my hearts content. I found that if I edited all the songs in a program capable of multi-file ID3 editing (like iTunes) to remove the Genre tag, I could then replace the Genre with my own custom name, like "Ellie's Car Songs" and "Music for Driving in Traffic". Clicking the Genre menu now only displays the pseudo-playlists I've created, and as an added bonus, all the other ID3 tag information is there, thus assuaging my OCD.

I'm 100% confident that Tesla will be introducing not only playlist support, but iPod-in-the-USB support in the coming months (and maybe even more basic functions like, oh, I don't know, shuffle) but for now, this seems to be working really well.