Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio playback issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My audio playback will not automatically restart when I get in my car after an extended time. I have to select the audio that I want to play basically every time I get in the car now. If it’s shortly after I leave the car like when I run into the store or something, it works but not otherwise. This has happened ever since the last firmware update. Am I the only one experiencing this? I’ve tried restarting the car, but that hasn’t helped. Not the end of the world, but it’s a nuisance.

Mine does that all the time, too. If the car goes to sleep, you get to start over. Fun with Musk.
Even after a short time, it reverts to streaming constantly. I'll play from the USB, get out of the car to pop into a store, and when I return, it has reverted to streaming. No doubt it's annoying. Just one of a myriad of interface issues with the audio system.

Mine worked fine until the latest software update. Now it reverts to a Tidal screen showing a QR code if I leave the car for more than a few minutes, and I have to start over to find what I was playing from USB. I would like the option of turning off all the audio services except USB, since I never use them. Now only three can be killed in setup.

This is now my greatest annoyance with the Model Y, since the unpleasantly harsh, noisy ride isn't apparent on typical low speed trips near home.

Mine worked fine until the latest software update. Now it reverts to a Tidal screen showing a QR code if I leave the car for more than a few minutes, and I have to start over to find what I was playing from USB. I would like the option of turning off all the audio services except USB, since I never use them. Now only three can be killed in setup.

This is now my greatest annoyance with the Model Y, since the unpleasantly harsh, noisy ride isn't apparent on typical low speed trips near home.
Did you ever figure out how to change the start up screen to not always go to the screen for Tidal sign-up with the QR code. I'm not interested in Tidal and having to change the screen every time I get in the car is a pain. Is there a way to set the info-entertainment system for the desired start up screen?

Did you ever figure out how to change the start up screen to not always go to the screen for Tidal sign-up with the QR code. I'm not interested in Tidal and having to change the screen every time I get in the car is a pain. Is there a way to set the info-entertainment system for the desired start up screen?
No. The start screen is always the Tidal QR code. I use the voice command "Switch to USB" to change it to USB and resume playing where it left off. Every few days, "Switch to USB" doesn't work, and I have to unplug the SD drive from the USB port and plug it back in, then use the voice command to resume playing.

I'm aware that you can turn it off, but you can't turn off all the services. If Tidal is off, something worse with pictures of pop entertainers appears. I would rather look at a QR code while I switch to my USB of early opera recordings.

Hmm. I haven't experienced "worse things" showing up since I turned off Tidal. My screen simply goes to the last source that was playing, most of the time. It will still sometimes revert back to Tesla's Slacker Streaming service as a default, but even that's not as bad as it used to be. I turned off everything as a source that I don't use.
What are you experiencing, specifically?

Last edited:
It is a little hidden. Tesla says go to Media Settings (where you would adjust tone and balance) then select "Sources". Once you find it then it's pretty easy to find it again.
Thanks - I figured out how to get to the audio settings screen (while displaying my USB song list) and then go to sources and turn off Tidal. Thanks

Reactions: BitJam
Hmm. I haven't experienced "worse things" showing up since I turned off Tidal. My screen simply goes to the last source that was playing, most of the time. It will still sometimes revert back to Tesla's Slacker Streaming service as a default, but even that's not as bad as it used to be. I turned off everything as a source that I don't use.
What are you experiencing, specifically?
It doesn't go back to USB. That's the whole point. On startup, USB audio continued playing from where it stopped when I shut off the car throughout 2020 and 2021 until an update in December 2021 broke this functionality. Thus far Tesla have failed to fix it. It's a major annoyance, mitigated in part by the ability to use voice to "Switch to USB" most but not all of the time. When "Switch to USB" doesn't work, it's necessary to unplug the SD card reader from the USB drive and plug back in, usually once, but sometimes twice. Then USB audio resumes from where it stopped after the last drive. I'm still on firmware version 2022.12.3.6, since I haven't received the version 16 update yet.

Ok. Yes, that's been an ongoing problem. 16 has MOSTLY fixed it. It will still revert to streaming (or whatever the first source you have active is) occasionally, usually after a long deep sleep. But it holds on USB for me far more often now, on 16. Best of all, even when it DOES happen, the USB symbol is still there, so it's an easy switch. My USB symbol would just disappear altogether.

Last edited: