TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audio: Radio - RDS / Traffic Announcement

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by NielsChr, Jan 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

Does the radio in Model S have RDS or more specific TA (trafic announcement) ?

Radio Data System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every car I've owned have had this, and I have been very happy by this safety feature.
    I belive RDS is also used in the US, but don't know if it is commonly used. Here in europe it is commonly - even in a cheap cars.

anyone know anything about RDS is available now or in the future for the model S ?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

In the US at least the Traffic is displayed graphically on the NAV display. It is better than RDS IMO.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Yes, but... the traffic is from Google (which is good), but it relies on you having 3G access. RDS simply comes across an FM signal, so it would be available even if you chose not to pay for 3G access.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

We had that in the Toronto market quite a few years ago, but not any longer (we still have the song title display part of RDS). It would even stop a cassette (yep, that long ago) to play the traffic message as it came through.

5. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

does anyone know the answer to this? i don't think we have RDS...

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My Model S does not display any RDS data on the FM stations. In my recent experience, it seems only GM and a few other car brands handle RDS data any more. My previous Cadillac did.

7. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

It's a shame really... There is so much unused space on that audio screen. :) And it would be nice to know what I'm listening to (from the radio) sometimes without having to use Shazam. :)

Admittedly, I rarely listen to radio -- slacker and USB mostly.

Who knows, maybe this can come in a firmware upgrade...

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

All I can remember is seeing an annoying <TRAF> symbol appear. The car's documentation said nothing about it, and I never had anything special play through my speakers. Guess we didn't have any traffic problems, or it just never worked. :)

9. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

It definitely displays RDS from FM stations. That's what it uses to look-up album cover art.

10. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Ken,

Are you on an FM station that supports HD? We don't have HD radio in my neck of the woods...

11. ken830

Yes, but even without HD (HD reception cuts in and out, and not all stations have it), I can see the RDS text. I guess I can try to turn HD off when I get in my car later to test it out.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm getting absolutely no RDS text at all yet my previous Cadillac did on the same stations.

13. ken830

I was wrong. There doesn't seem to be RDS at all. What I was seeing was indeed from HD Radio reception.

14. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

This is all very sad. It's very strange that TM didn't decide to put RDS on our radios. I know FM is so antiquated, but still, every now and then, it's fun to listen to local stuff...

Don't know if this is firmware upgradeable...

15. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Use Tune-in for the same station.

Sent via Tapatalk

16. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I'll have to check that out! Not sure it's available in Canada. :) Thanks!

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yep, it is. I've saved a few stations that I sometimes like to listen to in TuneIn. It's great because you don't have to worry about driving out of the signal reception area. Another thing I discovered about TuneIn is that they have a lot of podcasts available for streaming. I used to load up my iPhone with podcasts and play over Bluetooth, but now I've just saved the ones I listen to as TuneIn favorites as well. The best way to manage TuneIn is to go on through their web interface, sign up for a free account and set up your lists. Then, in the Model S, go to the Apps options page and enter your login credentials. When you go back to TuneIn in the Media interface, your favorites and lists will show up right there.

18. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Wow, I'm blown away again by this car...

That is awesome! The quality is probably better than the FM reception too!

Thanks for the suggestion and instructions guys, I'll check it out as soon as I'm in there. I've already created my account and my favorites.