TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audio: Slacker Radio - Premium or Basic

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Jrhodesmd, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Jrhodesmd

Jrhodesmd S Sig #371, X Prod #1143

Evidently I had the basic version of slacker radio. Model S says not compatible with Basic service slacker. Do I have to upgrade to full service?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They should have given you the login info on delivery but I'm not sure which version of Slacker radio that is. Are you able to log in at all or it just tells you that an upgrade to full service is needed?

3. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

You are correct that Sigs get a year of slacker at no cost (they provide login details, or contact them if they didn't). I had previously logged into Slacker using my (basic) account details. I noticed that I had to log OUT and then log IN to get "upgraded". Also I've noticed that playlists and such don't update... I suspect that if I logged out/in it would update. Clearly a bit buggy. That said Slacker is AWESOME!

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

So, what do you need to upgrade to? There is a "Radio Plus" upgrade and a "Premium" upgrade.

5. joepruitt

joepruitt Seattle Sig Red #497

The account Tesla setup for me was a "Radio Plus", not "Premium".

6. contaygious

contaygious Member

Thinking about switching from pandora to slacker plus. Can someone tell me the bitrate for mobile/tesla? I can't find it anywhere. Is the audio quality better than pandora one 192?

7. William3

William3 Member

I was wondering the same thing. Everything I've been reading indicates that the bitrate is a pathetic 128kbps.

8. contaygious

contaygious Member

Found this

Mobile Bitrate Quality: Both on the desktop and mobile sides of things, Slacker has the lowest quality audio if you look at purely bitrate. For mobile users, Slacker uses what they call 40kbps AAC Pro V2. In comparison listening, we noticed that the sound quality was not bad, but we did notice a slight difference between Slacker and the other music services. We're not sure we would have noticed if we hadn't really been listening for it, but there was definitely a difference. For most users on the go, this will not be a real world problem.

9. elatable

elatable Member

Is there a means of getting the Slacker login credentials that my Tesla is using, and/or logging in with my own Slacker account? Or does this require a call back to the Tesla "home office?"

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Yes. My DS showed me and I believe it's under settings or apps. Look around and you should find it. (It's a little too late at night for to go check here....yawn).

11. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Controls | Settings | Apps | Media... login info for Slacker and the other thing (I forget what). The car came with an account just for the car.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My DS showed me where the UI was but was very explicit (when I asked) that the password associated with the account he already set up cannot be released to customers. In other words, if you change your login/password combo to something else Tesla will have to change it back for you if you change your mind.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Apparently he reads the forums...

My DS informed me via email that he originally misspoke. I have the password for my login in that email. :)

14. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

updating this thread. Any R or P sequence folks manage to get onto Slacker in their S? I created an online account today assuming that's what I'd need to login to the Tesla, but it won't work at all. Is that something my DES is supposed to give me (I meet with him tomorrow)?

15. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Your DS has to set up the account and provide you with the info .... email him if you can as a reminder. When they set mine up, I got an email and went out to the car - somehow the account info was already added by the DS.

16. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

That seems odd, what if we're already paid slacker (radio plus) users?

17. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Just my experience .... even though I have ... I have a hard time paying for radio anyhow ...

18. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

"We're funded by listeners, like you! Your contribution in any amount will help us continue to bring the high-quality, ad-free radio you've come to expect...."

19. steve841

steve841 Active Member

LMAO.... That's funny. XM ...commercial free!

20. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

You clearly didn't hear my dulcet, plaintive tone, trademark NPR. ;-)