Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Sound System Quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me also note that I brought a variety of formats on the USB stick. The car is already known to support AAC, MP3 and WAV (this is on the specs page, I think). I can report that it also supports AIFF (Apple's variant of WAV, which supports embedded metadata tags and cover art, unlike WAV). I'm sorry to say that it does not appear to support Apple Lossless at this time, although we know that it does support FLAC. I pointed out to the nice Tesla person who endured my audio test that ALAC is now open source, so hopefully this situation will change in a future update.

Aerial Acoustics Model 9 are outstanding speakers. Assuming backed by a worthy amp, etc, you'd have an amazingly nice system. So that would be very hard to do with a car.

You'd hafta go to in ear custom fit with isolation amp to get close, I think.

Anyway, MikeK's test sounds like an audiophile test. Such a system maybe isn't for everybody (audiophiles tend to say Bose has only one good speaker system).

I pointed out to the nice Tesla person who endured my audio test that ALAC is now open source, so hopefully this situation will change in a future update.

That would be good. I have all my music (about 200 albums) in ALAC. :)

(some in 24-bit/96 kHz, but while a 24-bit system might be bit much for a car, a good car sound system should definitely benefit from ALAC quality.)

Thanks! :) Not to get too far OT, but for those who care, the Aerials are fed by a Classé CT-SSP and a Sunfire Cinema Seven. I'm in the process of adding a Trinnov processor, a fully-treated listening room, etc.

Hi Mike,

Speaking of room correction, and returning to the Model S sound system, I would like to eventually see an option to add Audyssey processing for the car.

Home Theater Sound to Go

Larry

Thanks for the Apple Lossless info. I frankly can't imagine they won't support that format eventually but now I know to bring WAV files on my thumbdrive instead of Apple Lossless when I next go to the Tesla store.

I was able to spend a little time listening to the premium sound system and it sounded quite good. But the listening conditions were far from ideal: music I didn't know and couldn't roll the windows up to shut out the event noise. But even in those conditions, the system sounded cleaner, more accurate and just significantly better than what I have in my BMW with it's factory-upgraded Harmon/Kardon system.

I plan on taking a thumb drive with some demo tracks I really know sometime to the local Tesla store and will report when that happens.

I wonder why Tesla would not update their spec page to indicate they support FLAC, WAV, and other formats that have been shown to work by all the good forum members who have tested them? (Spec page only states they support MP3, AAC, and MP4 music formats.)

Here's some reasons I can think of so far..

(1) The specs page only shows the base configuration and standard options. Maybe the ability to play additional formats is only available with the audio upgrade package? or,

(2) Tesla is still in the process of writing the software, and will be continuously adding audio formats, and the spec page has just not been updated yet with where they are in that process? or,

(3) They didn't want to indicate all of the formats in the small space they have for the bullet point on the audio system. So they just indicated what they think are the most popular ones they support to give us an idea of the capability, not "the only ones" they support. I'm hoping this is the real reason, but you'd think they would have added at least one lossless format in the list as they are getting more popular these days.

I wonder why Tesla would not update their spec page to indicate they support FLAC, WAV, and other formats that have been shown to work by all the good forum members who have tested them? (Spec page only states they support MP3, AAC, and MP4 music formats.)

(2) Tesla is still in the process of writing the software, and will be continuously adding audio formats, and the spec page has just not been updated yet with where they are in that process? or,

I vote for this one. Reps in the store have told me this, almost verbatim.

I was able to spend a little time listening to the premium sound system and it sounded quite good. But the listening conditions were far from ideal: music I didn't know and couldn't roll the windows up to shut out the event noise.

Indeed. I had the same experience initially, so I stood and waited for about 20 minutes until I could get into the other car (the Sunset Red), which had the windows closed. I closed the trunk too (from the touch screen -- love that), and with that the car was pretty quiet. I think the showroom is the right move, though. Pick a quiet (as in not busy) time, though. Last time I went, there were multiple families looking at the one car and there was a long wait to sit inside.

One thing of interest is a Tesla Rep assured me the amp and the sub can be upgraded with aftermarket. It's so easy to get great sound these days, I'm surprised at Tesla. Also a good honest 10 Watt's would be more than ample with a little forethought. (580W)

Hopefully its not literally burning anything close to that much power to produce reasonable levels.

I would say the Bose system in my Volt plays louder and clearer and it was specifically designed to use minimal power.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to speak with one of Tesla's software guys last week. I worked with him before he went to Tesla. It was my "time to build" and he gave me his opinion on the various options.

He said the best two "bang for your buck" options were the air suspension and the premium sound. It's true that the entire system was designed in-house. The speakers (at least the ones in the doors) are neodymium magnet-based, which supposedly provide big sound in a small, lightweight form factor. Supposedly the price of raw materials for these went up pretty high, but Tesla isn't increasing the option price.

After how excited he was about the studio system, I can't wait to plug in some great source material and jam.

Random thoughts.

First, it's worth confirming that the amp and sub can be easily replaced with aftermarket equipment. If so, that likely means that they're using standard audio signalling to the speakers. Aftermarket audio equipment uses the same signalling that home stereo equipment uses. Whereas most if not all factory systems use some form of differential signalling which means if you can't upgrade the amps or speakers without upgrading both.

And yes, neodymium magnets are stronger which means you lets you get a better sounding speaker in a small package. But they do cost. And if you use those magnets, you're going to want power to drive them. Which is why 10W isn't nearly enough. 10W average power is plenty. But one key to tight clean controlled sound the ability of the amp to put out high peak power and amperage. That's where having 580W of power (hopefully with a high current amp) is really nice.

Since finalizing on August 7th without the Sound Studio package, I've been wondering if I missed out on a must-have option (given the "most bang for the buck options" mentions in a few posts) and if I needed to revisit my MVPA.

So, sought some clarity on this from a senior person at the Santana Row store today; he apparently has heard or knows enough about the standard system and gave me an unequivocal answer - he simply said "Skip it!" and elaborated that only audiophiles and folks who'd like really loud music, super-strong bass and 'oomph' would really notice the difference. The standard system does have a sub and will work very well for most people. The rep did say that, in theory, resale value may be a factor in going for the sound studio. And, if you need XM radio.

Am happy with my $950 savings now...

...he apparently has heard or knows enough about the standard system and gave me an unequivocal answer - he simply said "Skip it!" and elaborated that only audiophiles and folks who'd like really loud music, super-strong bass and 'oomph' would really notice the difference...Am happy with my $950 savings now...

Oh, goody!!!! :)

I am an NPR man and an occasional radio listener....but I do like my music....and would hardly call myself an audiophile.....so, that's another grand I could knock off the final price!!!

So we now have two answers:

1. The premium sound system is really good value for money.

2. Skip it. Only critical listeners will notice the difference.

I think there is some more input needed.

So we now have two answers:

1. The premium sound system is really good value for money.

2. Skip it. Only critical listeners will notice the difference.

I think there is some more input needed.

Very true. These things are so subjective. For me, I sometimes listen to music quite loud, and in my current car (A5 with B&O sound) the speakers don't tend the struggle, but some of the interior door panels start to resonate in a bad way. But, for the sake of $950, which is between 1/50 and 1/100 of the total price, I'll be getting it, if nothing else as a 'regret prevention measure'!

There's an old adage "it's better to be looking at it, than looking for it" that I think applies to the sound system. Listening to fm/am radio on the standard system, maybe the sound benefits won't be readily apparent, however a better quality sound source and I think most people will notice the difference given the speaker/subs/amps difference between the two systems. The question really is if that difference matters to you the car owner. To do an aftermarket upgrade if it turns out you wish you had gotten the upgrade once you have had time listening in earnest, will be well in excess of the $950 Tesla charges. That's the quandary I wanted to avoid an opted to forgo the $950 savings and get the upgrade.