Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio Source Selection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before the 8.0 update I used the steering wheel right scroll button to choose my audio source. It was very easy and allowed me to keep my eyes on the road while switching from slacker to xm or whatever. That functionality appears to be gone. I could use the main touch screen, but that requires me to take my eyes off the road for longer than I would like.

What do you all do to switch audio source? Is there another shortcut somewhere that I could use? Thanks for your tips!

I guess this is meant to be the replacement, but I'm not sure it covers the same ground. I have many more favorites than I want to cycle through, and I couldn't get this feature to switch over to my phone.

img_4358-jpg.195530

• Informative
Reactions: Lu Ann
Another 8.0 disappointment. I used the switch-media-source setting via the steering wheel control all the time. Mainly when TuneIn conked out due to cellular signal drop, and I would switch to AM or FM radio and then later back to TuneIn.

I suppose that isn't a valid use case in the eyes of the great Tesla designers, so they've deleted the feature. Funny how over time I have to do more interactions with the UI (often involving taking my eyes off the road briefly) in order to achieve same result that took fewer interactions earlier in the life of the car. That's the definition of a bad design.

So far this is my only major disappointment in v8. Mostly I used this to switch quickly between, say, bluetooth and tunein or bluetooth and FM. Now the right-hand scroll wheel is just dead space to me: I've never felt the need for any of the other controls available.
I use it the exact same way... that's the only thing I really use it for- and it's much more handy to do it there than take my eyes off the road and reach for the IC

so if the right scroll wheel doesn't change sources any more - what does it do?

I am thinking that if they gave the scroll whell new functionality then it's going to be an uphill struggle to get them to restore it, but if the right scroll wheel has no functionality at the moment possibly they just missed it and it can be re-implemented without too much fuss.

Yet again I wonder if 8.0 was brought out early to get started with the new radar functionality learning and safety, and that a number of interface features remain unpolished and have others have been slipped to 8.1 which I think will probably have much more interesting interface changes including Tesla's answer to Carplay/Android Auto.

My bet for 8.1 is November. Just hope it delivers interface wise as Tesla is getting too much flak to be good for them on a subject where they should be leading the class by nearly a foot and a half.

In case anyone from Tesla reads this thread, I am VERY frustrated that they took this functionality away. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY.

Totally agree. And it's gratuitous: they could have easily left that option present. Removing it didn't somehow clear the way for something else.

And the new media player? It's incomprehensible. I spent about half an hour just trying to divine its behavior by repeating various experiments, and finally discovered the reason for my frustration: its behavior isn't repeatable! You feel like you're losing your mind, but you're not. It's just broken software.

I've decided for me this is the worst part about the v8 upgrade. I run nav on top and Waze in browser on bottom of the IC. I change media sources quite often to check traffic then flip back to music, or listen to talk radio then on commercial break listen to tunes. The V7 process was:
1) hit menu on right steering wheel control
2) select choice with right steering wheel dial

Now the v8 process is:
1) take eyes off the road and reach over to IC and tap nav to bring down hidden top icons
2) tap media
3) hit the source I want on MP app
4) tap and hold browser to drag it back to bottom screen where it was
5) eyes back on the road

Last edited:
2nd place annoyance is the left hand steering wheel controls with audio:

Before v8 these cycled through the source you were on. I like bouncing between FM stations just to hear what's on, especially in a new city when traveling when no favorites are set.

Now the v8 behavior is it cycles through all media player favorites, meaning it spans over different sources so if I press up or down and reach the end of FM stations instead of taking me back to the other side of the frequency range, it switches to a tune-in or slacker favorite. What the???

I feel like they just made the new media player, barely tested it and rushed it out. Too much time spent on auto pilot and not enough making sure the car experience was the best it could be. Auto pilot is great and seems like there was improvement with v8 but man, i wish they would spend more time working on the rest of the vehicle. The new media player is a huge let down. Using XM on it is awful. No more channel list, favorites are all funky and still cant cycle 1 channel at a time from the steering wheel. Why can't a long button press be assigned to that & and short press cycle favorites? Seems like common sense to me.

Asking to have a prieview of whats on other channels is probably absurd to them too. haha Thats been a feature on many cars for like 10 years now but why put it in the most technologically advanced car ever. haha

I try to avoid the touchscreen bc its obviously dangerous trying to use that and drive, i can't believe they took away media sources from the streering controls too. I switch back and forth way to much to be using the touch screen for that. Hate complaining b/c i love the car and company more than anything but man they have to fix some of these new features.

Tesla needs to hear from their current owners, when there are features & problems - so they can get these fixed.

It's very likely that the higher volume of potential customers for the Model 3 - who will spend less - and who will have the option of buying a Bolt instead of a Model 3 - will be less forgiving with Tesla over the lack of functionality or quality in the onboard software.

So - if there are problems - let Tesla know now - and hopefully they'll take this feedback and make the software better, before these problems start discouraging new purchases.

I second all your comments. Found another good one: I used to be able to get to switch to my USB music from the radio and it'd remember the song I was last listening to on the USB. It'd start the song again -- a software failure, but not a big one -- but it'd remember the song. It also remembered that I was playing the music on shuffle.

Now, I have to click the USB music folder name on the screen, click "songs" and then click choose a random song and then click random... every.. single...time. AND, it does the same shuffle order every time, so I have to fast forward to the end of the chain of songs I last listened to do get to the new one.

I've been in software for ~20 years and have NEVER seen such a palm slap-inducing failure in an "upgrade".

Just got the update to 8.0 today as my car (classic Model S) was in the service center and they did the upgrade while it was there. Holy Hell, removing the ability to switch audio sources with the right scroll wheel is a massive fail. I hope they are reading this and putting it back in 8.1 - that was the number one reason I used that scroll wheel.

Just got the update to 8.0 today as my car (classic Model S) was in the service center and they did the upgrade while it was there. Holy Hell, removing the ability to switch audio sources with the right scroll wheel is a massive fail. I hope they are reading this and putting it back in 8.1 - that was the number one reason I used that scroll wheel.
There is no guarantee Tesla reads these posts. I suggest you send your request to [email protected]. Please do.