TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audio: Status of rear speaker diminished sound issue?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ddruz, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ddruz

ddruz Member

There were a flurry of posts about this a few weeks ago but nothing much recently so I'm wondering if this issue been resolved for those who encountered it, possibly in software update 4.0 or 4.1?

If not, what has Tesla's response been to you about it? Are they working on a fix or is this simply the way the sound system creates the surround affect from a two channel source?

Is this an issue at all with folks who have received the standard sound system?
    Thanks for your replies.

2. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

The response to me is that most all cars are the same in this regard. I'll bring up again when I get my spoiler though.

3. ClearwaterBchSteve

ClearwaterBchSteve P445 / VIN 1794

I've spent a lot of time tinkering with the stereo (Sound Studio) with FM, Slacker, USB FLAC files, iPhone, etc. There is no question that the physical speaker layout is oriented to the front of the car. I'm not sure this is a problem, but simply by design. Most sedans have the bulk of the speakers in the rear deck behind the rear seats - a Model S has no such deck and it does not appear to have significant (if any) speakers in the rear hatchback area. When putting the fader all the way to the back, the sound is definitely deminished and there is very little bass. The sound is great in the front two seats and with previous cars, I usually found myself moving the fader forward when I had rear seat passengers to avoid deafening them and allowing for better conversation. This is not necessary in the S because the sound is lower overall in the back.

I've been running with Dolby Surround OFF which seems to give the music more punch and clarity. So far, I am happy with the system and it was definitely one of my concerns before I got the car. I keep the fader set to 4 or 5 to the rear.

4. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

I've posted this before and I hear its in the FAQ. (although I can't figure out how to use the FAQ much :) )

SHOULD get more base from rear since the sub is in the hatch area.

SoundStudioSpeakers.jpg

5. ClearwaterBchSteve

ClearwaterBchSteve P445 / VIN 1794

Wow, then there should be no issue with back sound. In my car, when the fader is all the way back, the sound is very diminished as compared to front or center fader settings. I'm going to do some more listening tonight and "find" all those speakers. Thanks for the post.

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I'm running my fader at 5.5 to the rear, where it makes the car sound "balanced" to me.

7. derekt75

derekt75 Member

The bass might come from the rear of the car, but that might be independent of the fader setting. In other words, they might have chosen to have that subwoofer in the back play all low frequency sounds regardless of what channel the low frequency would have gone to. At least that's the common way to do things in home theater. In that case, it would still make sense that moving the fader forward would have more capacity for bass since then you'd have 3 200 mm speakers firing rather than 2 160 mm speakers and 1 200 mm speaker.

Personally, I don't like the sound with the fader moved toward the back, so I left it at 0. (I have the Sound Studio Package).
    I left the EQ rather flat, too. I wouldn't mind more low bass, but I don't want more mid-bass, so a 3 channel EQ can't help me there.

8. dtich

dtich #P708

my guess is that they supply the subwoofer from the front speaker outputs, and that's why when fading all the way to the rear the sound gets noticeably un-bassy.... not totally figured out, but i have to say, from the driver's seat, i like the sound very much.