Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being kind of an audiophile audio quality is a big deal for me and I always buy WAV/AIFF files instead of the standard MP3 files. However I've had problems with audio systems not supporting WAV and AIFF and I'm concerned that the Model X audio system doesn't support those files.
So has anyone tried playing uncompressed music files in the Model X? And if so, does it work or should I convert the files to MP3?

Being kind of an audiophile audio quality is a big deal for me and I always buy WAV/AIFF files instead of the standard MP3 files. However I've had problems with audio systems not supporting WAV and AIFF and I'm concerned that the Model X audio system doesn't support those files.
So has anyone tried playing uncompressed music files in the Model X? And if so, does it work or should I convert the files to MP3?

From the article below:
"Tesla supports a broad range of music formats from the more common MP3, MP4 and AAC (without DRM), as well as formats such as FLAC, AIFF, WAV, WMA and lossless WMA. The sound system will attempt to play these formats and download its album art whenever possible.
Read more at Playing Music from a USB Drive in the Tesla Model S"

Playing Music from a USB Drive in the Tesla Model S

I know I've read this somewhere but what is the recommended method for making this conversion? FWIW all my digital music on a Mac using iTunes. I have made sure all my hard copies have been downloaded as AIFF but I also have some downloaded AAC content as well. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 128GB Scandisk low profile thumb drive.

I'll dig into the other threads on this too. ;)

When I converted my files to FLAC, the Model X couldn't organize the files into Albums, Artists, etc. All I had was a long list of tracks from which to choose. And no album artwork.

So I instead converted to 320 mp3 which the car can organize just fine. My 20-year-old ears could probably have discerned the different in sound quality, but my older ears probably can't...

• Helpful
Reactions: goneskiian
I know I've read this somewhere but what is the recommended method for making this conversion? FWIW all my digital music on a Mac using iTunes. I have made sure all my hard copies have been downloaded as AIFF but I also have some downloaded AAC content as well. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 128GB Scandisk low profile thumb drive.

I'll dig into the other threads on this too. ;)

There's many free MAC apps that can do this. Just make sure it allows you to keep your file structure (folder, artist, album, etc) otherwise it's a mess.

• Helpful
Reactions: goneskiian
When I converted my files to FLAC, the Model X couldn't organize the files into Albums, Artists, etc. All I had was a long list of tracks from which to choose. And no album artwork.

So I instead converted to 320 mp3 which the car can organize just fine. My 20-year-old ears could probably have discerned the different in sound quality, but my older ears probably can't...

It takes a little work but I found that placing artwork as a pdf within album music files is what’s needed to get X to properly group music plus show artwork. This works for both my ‘CD’ quality FLAC plus “hi-res (192) FLAC files. Also, re: music after leaving and re-starting vehicle, same song plays where I left off when using Flacker.