Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio system changed to 13 speakers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rob968

Jul 12, 2018
NJ
It looks like the specs for the Y on Tesla's website changed from 14 speakers to 13. Did anyone else notice this? I wonder what changed, if anything.

1639748443543.png

...and 30 days premium connectivity? When I took delivery of my MYP (August 2015) the premium connectivity was 12 months :-O

That's what I thought. I'd better check it

It took a while, but I found it, and yes, mine is 12 months

Go to tesla dot com
Go to Account (to get to the Dashboard)
Click on Manage
Then expand Manage Upgrades

1639840464231.png

Last edited:
3 FL, 1 center, 3 FR, 3 RR, 3 RL, 1 subwoofer = 14 speakers
But previously it said "14 speakers, 1 subwoofer..." now it says "13 speakers, 1 subwoofer..."

I don't know the previous layout of the cabin speakers, but I'd assume if there were 2 close together somewhere in the centerline of the car, they might have replaced that with a single speaker. That's pure guessing, though.

Edit:
Found this speaker layout. Almost certain that the center dash tweeter/midrange units were switched to a single unit:

1639847231280.png

But previously it said "14 speakers, 1 subwoofer..." now it says "13 speakers, 1 subwoofer..."

I don't know the previous layout of the cabin speakers, but I'd assume if there were 2 close together somewhere in the centerline of the car, they might have replaced that with a single speaker. That's pure guessing, though.

Edit:
Found this speaker layout. Almost certain that the center dash tweeter/midrange units were switched to a single unit:

View attachment 745619

Makes sense.

They keep running into supply chain issues. When you have a choice of de-contenting the car or delaying production by months you de-content the car... inflation plays a part as well, the price of the speakers (and every other component) has gone up so you can either de-content or raise the price if you want to maintain the same profit margin... in our case both.

Keith

Reactions: Deutsch100
1 year premium is tied to order date. Not delivery date. If you ordered before they changed it to 30 days you’re golden.

yes and no I suppose

I mean if you ordered before Date D, then you'll get 12 months, but on or after it and you'll get 30 days

The 12 months or 30 days starts on delivery though ... at least mine does

(just as well considering the EDD time lag)

...I think we're saying the same thing

Reactions: NJEV-Don
Right. But whether you get 30 days or 1 year is based on your order date. If you ordered before Tesla announced the change to 30 days you get 1 year. Obviously It doesn’t take affect until you take delivery.
Correct. The cutoff order date is October 15, 2021. Orders placed on that day or after, get 30 days. If you ordered before October 15, 2021, you get 1 year.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung