TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Audio system crashes when making call over bluetooth

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by [email protected], Jun 22, 2020.

1. M@dHatter

Starting about a month ago I started having this bug where when I make a call through Bluetooth the system freezes up a bit and then crashes. Once this happens the audio system will not play any sounds, music, blinker, Autopilot start/stop, Early warning collision, or beeping when parking. The problem persists until I do a scroll wheel reset. I've tried triggering a bug report but the microphone also stops working. I have a Galaxy Note 8 (Android 9) and an Iphone 8 (13.5.1).

To attempt to fix the issues I've removed all devices from the Bluetooth menu and forgot the car on my device and then tried to repair. Switching from my Note 8 to my Iphone 8 also didn't make a difference. Still getting the same result.

Anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

2. camalaio

camalaio Active Member

Sounds like a fairly unique issue to me. Don't bother with the Bug Report thing (it's kinda funny the number of bugs you can't submit with it - it doesn't work if you don't have cell signal either). That said, there's another recent thread with volume issues (but the various beeps and boops for car functions would still work if it was just the volume being set to zero).

It sounds like it's very reproducible. I would just file a request for Service with the app and show them the issue in person.

3. TraumaDoc

TraumaDoc Member

I've had exactly this, for about 3 weeks or so.

Only connected device is a Xiaomi Mi 9T.

Crashes when I try to make a call, but spontaneously recovers if I leave it for a bit and then change audio inputs i.e. radio --> spotify --> radio.

When its crashed, voice recognition can't hear me, and I can't hear anything, notably, turn signals.

• Like x 1
  4. riptor3076

riptor3076 Member

Same issue. Also started about 3-4 weeks ago. I'm currently on 2020.20.12 and it has happened on this software and the prior one I was on, don't remember the number on it. I have a Galaxy S20 that is on Android 10.

5. K_32

K_32 Member

Same issue here..20.12

6. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#6 SMAlset, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Given the similar timing you guys are experiencing this, if after a software update, have you rebooted the system (two scroll wheels). Surprisingly it has cleared up things for me on occasion when I didn’t think it would. I see OP has and said it cleared it but sounds like it keeps reappearing, maybe after you leave the car and it shuts down? OP since you’ve noticed more odd behavior than just audio, what about power cycling the car?

I’m on 20.12 and not experiencing any issues using my phone thru bluetooth and using the audio system but I’m using an iPhone so another variable.

7. smatthew

smatthew Active Member

I've had a variant on this. Listening to the radio, a loud click, and then audio is completely gone for 5 minutes. No turn signal noises or anything. It's like it blew the e-fuse, and waited to reset. Unsure why.

• Like x 1
  8. riptor3076

riptor3076 Member

To add more detail. Mine will make the loud click noise also and I also will have no sound, radio, turnsignal etc. I have tried the scroll wheel reset and that fixes it for a while. Mostly seems to happen if I have the radio on and some one calls me. Once I answer, a few seconds later, I get the loud click and all sound goes. If I click the right scroll to call back it says the microphone is unavailable. It fixes it if I do the soft reboot. I'm on hw2.5.

• Like x 1
  9. M@dHatter

I'm glad it's sounding like it not something I'm doing to cause this!

I don't have the same click as some of you have mentioned. And I have tried power cycling but it continues to come back. Just this afternoon I tried making a call, all sound cuts off, scroll wheel reset, everything fully loads up and get music playing again, then try making a call again, and it crashes again, full power cycle sitting in the driveway, everything comes up again, try making a call, and it crashes. I read through some of the comments here and it doesn't seem like it matters what I'm listening to (Spotify, FM radio, TuneIn) it crashes either way.

A few more details.. The earliest I remember noticing this was towards the end of April which is when I received 2020.12.6. I'm on HW3.0 with current software version of 2020.20.12.

I did get a service appointment set up for tomorrow afternoon, so I will let you all know what they find. To me it definitely sounds like a software bug. So with it hanging around for the past few updates and no real way to report bugs, this is about the only way I can think of getting into Tesla's system.

10. Rebel44

Rebel44 Member

I have been experiencing the same issues as OP at least since 2020.16 update.

11. EnrgyNDpndnce

EnrgyNDpndnce Member

Same issue over the last 3 to 4 weeks, hearing the click when placing or receiving a phone call then all audio gone for a few minutes. I find just waiting a few minutes and trying again works. I’m on software version 20.12 and connected with an iPhone 8.

12. beachsideev

beachsideev Member

Happened to me the first time last night. Heard a click and then nothing for a few minutes. Very annoying. 2020.20.12.with an android phone.

Another annoying issue I've had is it seems like I have to periodically re enable bt message support. This has been going on for a couple of releases now.

13. NOLADriver

NOLADriver Member

Same here. 3-4 weeks started. iPhone on latest iOS

14. UKNOWINVU2

UKNOWINVU2 Member

I am also experiencing this.

15. Sam1

Sam1 Member

same issue, started about the same time yours did. They need to fix it asap

16. Yragorn

Yragorn Member

Yup, getting the same problem here too

17. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Active Member

Same issue here.

18. riptor3076

riptor3076 Member

So that's 14 people so far on a thread that has been open not even 2 days. Short of all of us taking our cars in for service how do we make sure Tesla is aware of this and fixes it?

19. vickh

vickh Active Member

variant here no audio thru phone, radio/spotify fine but not slacker ( no slacker account but I don't see need to have 2 different accts.)

I will try reset again

20. Idkorcare

Idkorcare Member

had It happen a couple times. I want to say I had declined the call both times. Spotify was still showing like it was playing but what you could hear sounded like bluetooth trying to interrupt it and cycling on and off