Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio system crashes when making call over bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting about a month ago I started having this bug where when I make a call through Bluetooth the system freezes up a bit and then crashes. Once this happens the audio system will not play any sounds, music, blinker, Autopilot start/stop, Early warning collision, or beeping when parking. The problem persists until I do a scroll wheel reset. I've tried triggering a bug report but the microphone also stops working. I have a Galaxy Note 8 (Android 9) and an Iphone 8 (13.5.1).

To attempt to fix the issues I've removed all devices from the Bluetooth menu and forgot the car on my device and then tried to repair. Switching from my Note 8 to my Iphone 8 also didn't make a difference. Still getting the same result.

Anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

Sounds like a fairly unique issue to me. Don't bother with the Bug Report thing (it's kinda funny the number of bugs you can't submit with it - it doesn't work if you don't have cell signal either). That said, there's another recent thread with volume issues (but the various beeps and boops for car functions would still work if it was just the volume being set to zero).

It sounds like it's very reproducible. I would just file a request for Service with the app and show them the issue in person.

I've had exactly this, for about 3 weeks or so.

Only connected device is a Xiaomi Mi 9T.

Crashes when I try to make a call, but spontaneously recovers if I leave it for a bit and then change audio inputs i.e. radio --> spotify --> radio.

When its crashed, voice recognition can't hear me, and I can't hear anything, notably, turn signals.

Reactions: KG2V
Given the similar timing you guys are experiencing this, if after a software update, have you rebooted the system (two scroll wheels). Surprisingly it has cleared up things for me on occasion when I didn’t think it would. I see OP has and said it cleared it but sounds like it keeps reappearing, maybe after you leave the car and it shuts down? OP since you’ve noticed more odd behavior than just audio, what about power cycling the car?

I’m on 20.12 and not experiencing any issues using my phone thru bluetooth and using the audio system but I’m using an iPhone so another variable.

Last edited:
To add more detail. Mine will make the loud click noise also and I also will have no sound, radio, turnsignal etc. I have tried the scroll wheel reset and that fixes it for a while. Mostly seems to happen if I have the radio on and some one calls me. Once I answer, a few seconds later, I get the loud click and all sound goes. If I click the right scroll to call back it says the microphone is unavailable. It fixes it if I do the soft reboot. I'm on hw2.5.

Reactions: StarHunter
I'm glad it's sounding like it not something I'm doing to cause this!

I don't have the same click as some of you have mentioned. And I have tried power cycling but it continues to come back. Just this afternoon I tried making a call, all sound cuts off, scroll wheel reset, everything fully loads up and get music playing again, then try making a call again, and it crashes again, full power cycle sitting in the driveway, everything comes up again, try making a call, and it crashes. I read through some of the comments here and it doesn't seem like it matters what I'm listening to (Spotify, FM radio, TuneIn) it crashes either way.

A few more details.. The earliest I remember noticing this was towards the end of April which is when I received 2020.12.6. I'm on HW3.0 with current software version of 2020.20.12.

I did get a service appointment set up for tomorrow afternoon, so I will let you all know what they find. To me it definitely sounds like a software bug. So with it hanging around for the past few updates and no real way to report bugs, this is about the only way I can think of getting into Tesla's system.

Happened to me the first time last night. Heard a click and then nothing for a few minutes. Very annoying. 2020.20.12.with an android phone.

Another annoying issue I've had is it seems like I have to periodically re enable bt message support. This has been going on for a couple of releases now.