Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio system crashes when making call over bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding another data point, using an iPhone 8 and the latest iOS, on 2020.20.12. I haven't experienced it placing my own calls over Bluetooth, but on two occasions after receiving a call and disconnecting. Both times weren't with the native iOS phone app, but with the Cisco Jabber app for work VoIP calls.

I wasn't sure if it was an issue with the third-party app causing some kind of disconnect with the car, but this thread points pretty strongly to it being on the car's end.

I had the same issue once, while driving. The pop was pretty extreme and I thought I legit blew some speakers. Since then, my bluetooth connection randomly drops. I will also make a call sometimes and the phone won't play on car speakers. It's really annoying.

Update...

Dropped my car off at the service center and reproduced the issue I noted before with both devices. They then attempted with a Galaxy S10+ (Android 10) and it worked fine. I gave them time stamps of when I had issues so they could look through error logs and left with a loaner.

A few hours later I got a text stating:
"Upon further diagnostics technician determined that the car computer on your Tesla needs to be replaced."​

I then received an email stating the following part had been ordered:
TLA,CAR.COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 - PROVISIONED
Part #: 1462554-S0-I​

I'm hoping this will fix the issue for me but also hoping this isn't a major issue that will plague everyone else.

My phone, galaxy s20, just got a software update earlier today. Not sure what they changed but didn't have any issues when making or receiving calls in the car while I was out today. I'll keep an eye on it but fingers crossed that maybe the update helped. Makes me think tesla changed something in how the car is connecting to phones via Bluetooth.

I'm going to support some kind of overload / audio feedback loop theory.

Today I has having a play,initiated a bluetooth phonecall whilst listening to spotify (my usual use scenario) and then hang up immediately, before hearing a ringtone or connecting - when the call dropped the volume on spotify was immense - I mean I Literally jumped it was that loud - upon spinning the volume down - it was actually only where I normally have it - about a third.

Feedback overload is probably very bad, potential for actual hardware damage, however it's good that the overload protection seems so be working. Incidentally, after the above scenario, the audio continued to work, and I was able to make a call as normal that lasted 45mins or so. I've noticed the problem only occurs for the first call I make, but, that can be 40 minutes into a journey, so its not a warm-up phenomenon....

• Informative
Reactions: StarHunter and KG2V
TraumaDoc,

What kind of phone do you have? I don't know about iphones, but with android phones the car will adjust the media volume as well as the audio system's volume so maybe it was just a glitch when switching between the two volume levels? I've had similar experiences with large volume swings when the car switches between a phone call and starting the media playback again. It is annoying but it hasn't been startling for me.

I don't see why they need to fiddle with the media volume on the phone. My other cars don't do this and they switch back and forth seamlessly. In android there is a way to disable the remote volume control but it is a bit of a hack.

Update...

Dropped my car off at the service center and reproduced the issue I noted before with both devices. They then attempted with a Galaxy S10+ (Android 10) and it worked fine. I gave them time stamps of when I had issues so they could look through error logs and left with a loaner.

A few hours later I got a text stating:
"Upon further diagnostics technician determined that the car computer on your Tesla needs to be replaced."​

I then received an email stating the following part had been ordered:
TLA,CAR.COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 - PROVISIONED
Part #: 1462554-S0-I​

I'm hoping this will fix the issue for me but also hoping this isn't a major issue that will plague everyone else.
Curious to see the results of this..

I have the exact same problem audio cuts when the issue begins

I have removed all the bluetooth transfering of contacts/txt messages and even removed the phone key to make sure that it's only phone audio communicating over bluetooth.

I noticed that this issue consistently happens when i use the touch screen to make phones calls. When I receive phone calls the issue seems to be less and random. I also learned that if I use voice assistant on my phone( not the car) I can make phone calls half the time with no issues.

Phone is a Pixel 3 android 10

Not sure if it is “fixed” but I haven’t noticed this issue in the last few days. Have made and received phone calls without a problem. Also wanted to mention I did previously have the issue someone else on this thread brought up about randomly losing messenger connectivity and having to re-establish in the menu. That lasted a week or two and hasn’t happened in at least several weeks. Now that I think about it, it seems when that issue went away this issue started. Can’t be sure though.

I have had this issue for about 4 weeks like most of you. A click sound during a call then all sound dead for a period of time.
I booked a service with Tesla and logged some times when it occurred. A tech called me 2 days ago for more info and I advised lots of people are complaining about this on the forums. He advised I'm the only one.
New tech called me today (not the halfwit) that called before. This guy was knowledgeable and said it was a software bug that appeared 2 versions ago and should be fixed in 2020.24.x. I asked if he could push the update to my car and he advised no. There's my 2 cents worth

I have had this issue for about 4 weeks like most of you. A click sound during a call then all sound dead for a period of time.
I booked a service with Tesla and logged some times when it occurred. A tech called me 2 days ago for more info and I advised lots of people are complaining about this on the forums. He advised I'm the only one.
New tech called me today (not the halfwit) that called before. This guy was knowledgeable and said it was a software bug that appeared 2 versions ago and should be fixed in 2020.24.x. I asked if he could push the update to my car and he advised no. There's my 2 cents worth

I sure hope he's right. Now I'm anxiously awaiting 2020.24. The dismissive tone of the first tech really would have irritated me.

Updated #2...

Picked up my car this morning and have not had any issues no matter how many different ways I've tried to replicate the issue. So it appears to be fixed. When talking with the service center they really had no idea what the issue was just that they were able to verify the issue and their next steps were to replace the computer.

The new computer was updated to the current 2020.20.12 software but with the previous version of navigation data.

Not sure if that is good news or bad news for everyone else having the issue.

Has anyone been experiencing this issue or seen that it has been fixed while on the new update (2020.24.6.1) that's rolling out?

Updated #2...

Picked up my car this morning and have not had any issues no matter how many different ways I've tried to replicate the issue. So it appears to be fixed. When talking with the service center they really had no idea what the issue was just that they were able to verify the issue and their next steps were to replace the computer.

The new computer was updated to the current 2020.20.12 software but with the previous version of navigation data.

Not sure if that is good news or bad news for everyone else having the issue.

Has anyone been experiencing this issue or seen that it has been fixed while on the new update (2020.24.6.1) that's rolling out?
My service center refuse to replace anything and claim it's FW issue.

Reactions: M109Rider
Do you guys experience this issue when listening to music over bluetooth? The audio isn't cutting out, but there is random popping that is very noticeable during songs and podcasts/audiobooks. The popping sounds like what is happening on this video at 1:17, except it happens more randomly. Tried another bluetooth device and it did the same thing. Wasn't able to reproduce on FM radio but I hardly use it.

Comparable issue here also. iPhone XS: when i try and make a call immediately upon getting into the car/within a few min of driving, there is no ring tone, and no audio even though person on receiving end of phone call can hear me. After most recent update, ring tone played, but then KEPT playing through the call after it had been answered. 2Finger reset fixes things for the duration of the drive only. LR RWD

Experienced again today with outgoing call so I decided to do a reset. After that incoming calls would work fine and even outgoing calls IF I selected the number from the recent call list. No ability to voice dial or conduct any voice commands, when I tried it said the mic was not ready (or something like that. After an hour or so I did a reset again and after that everything appears to work as normal. We’ll see for how long. Anyway I’m betting it’s a SW issue as stated above and the next update should correct it.