Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio system upgrades in Australia

I thought that I'd start a thread on this as the standard audio system in the Model S is rather 'meh'. It lacks both dynamics and resolution and although the 3 band equaliser allows the frequency response to be tailored to sound more 'exciting', that isn't exactly the same as having good sound and does nothing for the resolution.

I know that there is a whole sub forum full of posts on audio upgrades but not all these products are readily available here. I think that the main issues in an upgrade path for both the standard and the upgraded OEM system are the original system's use of 2 ohm drivers. i know that rated impedance is nominal and actually varies across the frequency range, and that other specs like driver efficiency are also important but there seem to be few quality options that I can find for the simplest of upgrades - a 'like for like' exchange. The other option is more complex, taking the outputs from the 'virtual head unit' and using an external power amp that opens the choice to include most quality 4 ohm drivers. Has anyone looked into the options?

ICUDoc

May 19, 2015
Sydney NSW
the standard audio system in the Model S is rather 'meh'. It lacks...resolution
main issues in an upgrade path for both the standard and the upgraded OEM system are the original system's use of 2 ohm drivers... Has anyone looked into the options?
I haven't looked into the options, but I'm worried I'll regret taking the UHF audio option based on the opinions I've read on the U.S. Forums. I'm a bit of an audiofool so I do like good sound- I hope the fact that my car is STILL in production means it will have the latest and best available????
the use of the inbuilt system as a "virtual head unit" sounds fascinating- do you have a link for an article on this?
Are you using a USB stick? I've read suggestions that there are some ultra-low profile sticks available that people leave plugged in all the time, so as to avoid the alleged bandwidth-limitations of Bluetooth as implemented in the car.
Can't wait till mine arrives so I can check it out. I wonder if some UHF owners will meet up with standard system owners to compare???

Mark E

Jun 27, 2012
Sydney NSW
I haven't looked into the options, but I'm worried I'll regret taking the UHF audio option based on the opinions I've read on the U.S. Forums. I'm a bit of an audiofool so I do like good sound- I hope the fact that my car is STILL in production means it will have the latest and best available????
the use of the inbuilt system as a "virtual head unit" sounds fascinating- do you have a link for an article on this?
Are you using a USB stick? I've read suggestions that there are some ultra-low profile sticks available that people leave plugged in all the time, so as to avoid the alleged bandwidth-limitations of Bluetooth as implemented in the car.
Can't wait till mine arrives so I can check it out. I wonder if some UHF owners will meet up with standard system owners to compare???

The UHF system is quite good, but not the best that I've had in a car. There is a marked difference between using lossless via USB and anything via bluetooth. There is also a noticeable difference between Mp3 and flac lossless, even with 320kbs.

The UHF system is quite good, but not the best that I've had in a car. There is a marked difference between using lossless via USB and anything via bluetooth. There is also a noticeable difference between Mp3 and flac lossless, even with 320kbs.
whereas the standard system has such poor resolution that it's hard to hear the difference

2 loaner cars I've had came with the premium system and really it sounded substantially the same as the basic system with slightly more bass extension but poor resolution. I've following the Light Harmonic developments for an upgrade system, ATM only for the premium system or also looking at an after market replacement system with a class D amp and Morel drivers

Mark E

Jun 27, 2012
Sydney NSW
2 loaner cars I've had came with the premium system and really it sounded substantially the same as the basic system with slightly more bass extension but poor resolution. I've following the Light Harmonic developments for an upgrade system, ATM only for the premium system or also looking at an after market replacement system with a class D amp and Morel drivers

What source are you using? It makes a huge difference. I was unimpressed until I used a flac source or an aiff one from ripping a cd.

mhh

Jul 24, 2014
Adelaide
I got my sub installed today. Got some bass at last. My installer charged $450 which included installing USB ports (another purchase) at the same time. I'll live with it for a bit before I pronounce it a total success. The sub comes with a volume switch so it'll be easy to compare.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC