TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audio system upgrades in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by doctorwho, Aug 19, 2015.

1. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I thought that I'd start a thread on this as the standard audio system in the Model S is rather 'meh'. It lacks both dynamics and resolution and although the 3 band equaliser allows the frequency response to be tailored to sound more 'exciting', that isn't exactly the same as having good sound and does nothing for the resolution.

I know that there is a whole sub forum full of posts on audio upgrades but not all these products are readily available here. I think that the main issues in an upgrade path for both the standard and the upgraded OEM system are the original system's use of 2 ohm drivers. i know that rated impedance is nominal and actually varies across the frequency range, and that other specs like driver efficiency are also important but there seem to be few quality options that I can find for the simplest of upgrades - a 'like for like' exchange. The other option is more complex, taking the outputs from the 'virtual head unit' and using an external power amp that opens the choice to include most quality 4 ohm drivers. Has anyone looked into the options?

2. timpoo

timpoo Member

Hi Michael I have no idea what you're talking about but I would also love an audio upgrade option :D

3. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I haven't looked into the options, but I'm worried I'll regret taking the UHF audio option based on the opinions I've read on the U.S. Forums. I'm a bit of an audiofool so I do like good sound- I hope the fact that my car is STILL in production means it will have the latest and best available????
    the use of the inbuilt system as a "virtual head unit" sounds fascinating- do you have a link for an article on this?
    Are you using a USB stick? I've read suggestions that there are some ultra-low profile sticks available that people leave plugged in all the time, so as to avoid the alleged bandwidth-limitations of Bluetooth as implemented in the car.
    Can't wait till mine arrives so I can check it out. I wonder if some UHF owners will meet up with standard system owners to compare???

4. danielp

danielp Member

I'm interested in this too. I've been looking at an nxp boost subwoofer to fill in the low end, but wouldn't mind some nicer speakers especially in the rear.

5. Mark E

Mark E Member

The UHF system is quite good, but not the best that I've had in a car. There is a marked difference between using lossless via USB and anything via bluetooth. There is also a noticeable difference between Mp3 and flac lossless, even with 320kbs.

6. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

whereas the standard system has such poor resolution that it's hard to hear the difference

7. mhh

mhh Member

#7 mhh, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  8. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

2 loaner cars I've had came with the premium system and really it sounded substantially the same as the basic system with slightly more bass extension but poor resolution. I've following the Light Harmonic developments for an upgrade system, ATM only for the premium system or also looking at an after market replacement system with a class D amp and Morel drivers

9. mhh

mhh Member

I've since been in touch with NVX by email and they can ship to Australia. I'll have a price on Monday or Tuesday for shipping and will post it up. If it's reasonable, I'll get it.

10. danielp

danielp Member

Thanks. I'm interested too (though I have the basic system)

11. Mark E

Mark E Member

What source are you using? It makes a huge difference. I was unimpressed until I used a flac source or an aiff one from ripping a cd.

12. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

flac, although resolution is so poor with the standard system that its hard to pick lossy formats from flac. I've been spoilt by my home stereo I think

13. mhh

mhh Member

My sub and amp have arrived. The retailer kindly declared the value at $US100 each part, so no phone call from the freight company to extort extra $ for the government. I'll report on the unit once my installer has done his job.

14. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Thanks mhh- the amp is just for the sub? And it goes into the same space as the current sub or uses the left side of the boot space??

15. mhh

mhh Member

I haven't opened the boxes but I imagine the amp is just for the sub. The sub goes on the left side of the boot.

16. danielp

danielp Member

That's great mhh. When are you planning on getting it done?

17. mhh

mhh Member

As soon as my guy can get on to it.

18. mhh

mhh Member

I got my sub installed today. Got some bass at last. My installer charged $450 which included installing USB ports (another purchase) at the same time. I'll live with it for a bit before I pronounce it a total success. The sub comes with a volume switch so it'll be easy to compare.

Attached Files:

19. danielp

danielp Member

20. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

How's it sound,mhh??