Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio system upgrades in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mmm....I'm still not sure. It's probably in the setup but it's too bassy on some songs if I turn up the sub amp. I'll discuss it with my installer after I get home. I'm in Sydney CBD if you want to have a listen to it.

Interesting mhh…I was looking at the after-market add-ons. I guess you’ve tried adjusting the fader to get the best sound…and listening to some high fidelity sources :) Apparently the factory sub-woofer is linked to the front-speakers so presumably the after-market sub is linked to the rear?

Interesting mhh…I was looking at the after-market add-ons. I guess you’ve tried adjusting the fader to get the best sound…and listening to some high fidelity sources :) Apparently the factory sub-woofer is linked to the front-speakers so presumably the after-market sub is linked to the rear?

Adjusting the levels on the screen for one track isn't right for the next one. I think there's probably some adustment on the amp too. I'm no audiophile - it's just that I've heard factory systems with better mid-range response.

Funny I was also a bit underwhelmed and no real audiophile either…then I remembered the few high resolution (192 or 96 kHz 24-bit) albums I have, then converted them to FLAC and put them on a USB stick. Not underwhelmed any more.

L.A. Woman - The Doors
Let’s Get It On - Marvin Gaye
Spectrum - Billy Cobham
Tutu - Miles Davis
Supernatural - Santana

I need more now :smile:

Funny I was also a bit underwhelmed and no real audiophile either…then I remembered the few high resolution (192 or 96 kHz 24-bit) albums I have, then converted them to FLAC and put them on a USB stick. Not underwhelmed any more.

L.A. Woman - The Doors
Let’s Get It On - Marvin Gaye
Spectrum - Billy Cobham
Tutu - Miles Davis
Supernatural - Santana

I need more now :smile:

Improving the source will help just about any system. The question is how does Tesla's best effort compare with other factory car systems using the same source. The answer is OK, but a fair way off the best. At the car's price point, the the premium system is actually pretty competitive and decent value.

Last edited:
Improving the source will help just about any system. The question is how does Tesla's best effort compare with other factory car systems using the same source. The answer is OK, but a fair way off the best. At the car's price point, the the premium system is actually pretty competitive and decent value.

Right though I think a high fidelity source improves the Tesla UHFS more noticeably than what it would in supposedly the reference $12k Audi A7 B&O Advance Sound System because it doesn’t have to compete with a whacking great 60 or 70dB donk up front. There’s more musical detail to be heard. It also has a much more potent 85 kWh power source. It’s quite possible the B&O might sound better when they’re both parked in a garage.

Interesting that you'd say that - I took my S with upgraded sound into the guys at Metrosound while they were upgrading my wife's car. The verdict from them was that the system was up near the top of the heap for factory sound - and considerably better than most including very high end cars. These guys get things like new Bentleys in to upgrade the factory stereo. They felt that they could improve it, but that it wasn't a bad setup.

Interesting that you'd say that - I took my S with upgraded sound into the guys at Metrosound while they were upgrading my wife's car. The verdict from them was that the system was up near the top of the heap for factory sound - and considerably better than most including very high end cars. These guys get things like new Bentleys in to upgrade the factory stereo. They felt that they could improve it, but that it wasn't a bad setup.

i have to admit that I'm confused by all of this ... I too bought the upgraded sound system and I'm pretty much underwhelmed - my last car was an S5 with the B&O system and it had much greater bass, more overall fidelity and just was better to my ears ... same sound source (Bluetooth to the iPhone) ... so I figured it may have been the internal volume (Model S vs an S5 cab).

Prior to the S5 I had a Q7 with the upgraded sound system (I think it was just Bose but with God-knows-how-many speakers etc) and again, the bass etc seemed better than the Model S, even though the internal volume must have been similar.

I'm willing to conede that the problem maybe related to me using a Bluetooth connection vs. Internet radio or am USB etc, and possibly related to the codec of the files - ie. If I change either ther quality will improve - but comparing like for like it currently appears worse, so I'm very keen to understand how others experience it.

Anothef thing I'm looking at testing, is using a Sonos play:5 device inside the car and using Trueplay to see if the sound can be tuned for the internal architecture of the car. If that works better, then I might investigate replacing one or more components.

That is convincing to hear from an actual owner of both B&O Advance & Tesla UHFS and so you have convinced me. It might be interesting to have a listen to some high resolution FLAC recordings on USB to see if that improves your opinion like it did mine.

Apart from the Sonos, you may have seen these fairly costly options, or less costly, just replace some of the drivers.

Premium Audio for Tesla Model S by Light Harmonic

Tesla Model S aftermarket audio option UK specific article | Teslapedia

Thanks for the kinks @whitestar ... the second one is very informative and the first one with the system from Light Harmonic looks very interesting ... I will probably drop them a line to find out whether they can recommend an installer etc in Australia. I will also look at replacing the drivers, but my "spider sense" tells me that might it be enough :)

Obviously, first step is to play with the codecs and go via USB and the explore replacing components (Sonos, Light Harmonic or otherwise). Whatever I do, I don't want any additional knobs or controls for bass etc.

I will keep watching this thread and post anything that I find out.

I'd probably be happy to cough up another grand or a bit more to install a better sound system.
anyone want to join in so we can get a pro installer to do it right, and better prices on the hardware?
alternatively, our elite all the hardware and get together to do the install ourselves. I own LOTS of tools, maybe not the trim-removal types, 'though...

I'd probably be happy to cough up another grand or a bit more to install a better sound system.
anyone want to join in so we can get a pro installer to do it right, and better prices on the hardware?
alternatively, our elite all the hardware and get together to do the install ourselves. I own LOTS of tools, maybe not the trim-removal types, 'though...

If you can find an installer then count my in ... I'm keen on the Light Harmonic system with the replacement amp & woofer ... seems like a good drop in replacement .... I'm also going to see if there was something similar with a Bluetooth module that allowed it to be configured via an app or such like.

I am Melbourne based, but more than happy to trip up to Sydney if the installer is there.

If you can find an installer then count my in ... I'm keen on the Light Harmonic system with the replacement amp & woofer ... seems like a good drop in replacement .... I'm also going to see if there was something similar with a Bluetooth module that allowed it to be configured via an app or such like.

I am Melbourne based, but more than happy to trip up to Sydney if the installer is there.
I agree, they (Light Harmonic) look good and drop-in is the way to go. Anyone know a good installer?

I'd like to hear it first but that's probably not going to happen. The custom built drivers look pretty good...not sure if they'd be better than Morels though. I'm certainly interested...in the meantime I'm going to remove the rear shelf and read through this:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...y-Light-Harmonic/page13?p=1296174#post1296174

LH speaker explode.jpg