Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Testing audio formats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My plan is to purchase a large USB thumbdrive, copy my music to it (just once), plug it into the Model S (just once), and never touch it again.
Hopefully I can use FLAC. If not FLAC then WAV. If not WAV then MP3.

Do you think the largest USB thumbdrive it will deal with is 32GB? Or do you think it can handle larger ones?

Different hardware controller, so it becomes a software issue. I would not be surprised if it can handle a USB drives over 32GB.

Must be. Any $20 generic MP3 player has playlist support.

Hi Andrew,

Speaking of MP3 players, I have no experience with portable digital media players. Can you or others please explain whether an MP3 player whould be superior to a flashdrive in playing files on the Model S's sound system? For example, say the Model S can't recognize Flac files, could an appropriate MP3 player that does recognize Flac files do the decoding and route it to the Model S's sound system?

Thanks.

Larry

What about multi-channel audio formats?

The Sound Studio Package has a 12 speaker Dolby ProLogic 7.1 system. Is a Dolby decoder simply upmixing stereo to 7.1, or does the system actually accept 5.1 or 7.1 discrete audio? If it does accept multi-channel audio, I wonder which muli-channel audio formats it supports?

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but how does one go about feeding multi-channel music to the system? Via a flashdrive or MP3 player? I have a few Blu-ray concerts. I imagine there would be some hurdles to overcome in feeding them to the system.

Larry

Reactions: SuperOmega
Sounds like there are a lot of audio options. Ideally I would like to play from Spotify - which shouldn't be a problem since it is Internet based...I just wonder if Spotify would charge you. When you use Spotify on your desktop it is free but on mobile device it's a subscription fee.

I too would love a Bluetooth option to link my iPhone to the car with an interface.

Sounds like there are a lot of audio options. Ideally I would like to play from Spotify - which shouldn't be a problem since it is Internet based...I just wonder if Spotify would charge you. When you use Spotify on your desktop it is free but on mobile device it's a subscription fee.

I too would love a Bluetooth option to link my iPhone to the car with an interface.

Recommended reading: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/interior

Typically when formats are rejected by devices I've tried in the past, there's at least a few seconds where it tries and then aborts. I didn't see signs of that. Not definitive, but optimistic.

I've never used a system like this, so it's interesting to hear how they usually work. If I wrote one, I'd have a list of well-known extensions that I knew I couldn't handle, and skip those without trying (e.g., why try a .wma file if as the developer you know you can't handle it); I'd only "try" files that had (a) known good filename extensions (blah.mp3, blah.aac, blah.wav, etc.), (b) completely unknown ones (like "blah.abc"), or (c) no extension (like "blah").

Sorry, back seat programmer here...well, front seat, really. ;-)

Anyway thanks for testing and reporting back! I love these nuggets of info.

So, most of my audio files are mp3's from the late 90's, and are fine with my crappy laptop speakers, headphones, etc; I am planning on re-ripping my CD collection in lossless for the Model S. I have a MacBook Pro but I also can boot Windows if necessary. Should I use iTunes for ALAC, or is should I go with FLAC (and what ripping program is best)? At this point I may just wait until I hear about whether ALAC will be supported, unless FLAC is better in some way (they are both open-source now, as I understand it). Some of you are talking about multichannel files; since I haven't encoded anything yet, are there certain settings I need to be aware of? I actually am a big music-lover (and a multitude of genres, including classical - I teach music part-time and perform, in addition to my various other occupations), but just haven't chosen to spend the $$ for a good system (since my wife doesn't care that much). Now that I will have a nice setup, I plan on taking full advantage of my personal "studio". :)

I use WindowsAudio Lossless (.WMA) for all of my CD rips. I have used FLAC in the past but I my digital audio player wouldn't play nice at the time.

I did have a program that would convert one format to another in bulk sets pretty quickly. I don't have any idea what it was called though. It was a Linux application. You should be fine picking any lossless format. As you should be able to use those as a base to convert to whatever you want from there on out.

I believe that Zune software was kind enough to convert all my FLAC lossless to WMA lossless. I am almost positive that it wouldn't be kind enough to convert them back. But that was about 5 years ago so I may be misremembering some things.

Last edited:
Not to be an Apple 'fanboy' but you can purchase the iTunes Match service (which grants you rights to Apple's full quality version of all your songs, even those you rip'd from CDs), then re-download everything as AAC, high bit-rate MP3 or whatever you want. With a google search you can find out how to 'delete' then 're-download' all your songs in the new higher quality format. Something to consider. I did it with my large collection of CDs that I had only in medium quality MP3 and now have everything in AAC.

So, most of my audio files are mp3's from the late 90's, and are fine with my crappy laptop speakers, headphones, etc; I am planning on re-ripping my CD collection in lossless for the Model S. I have a MacBook Pro but I also can boot Windows if necessary. Should I use iTunes for ALAC, or is should I go with FLAC (and what ripping program is best)? At this point I may just wait until I hear about whether ALAC will be supported, unless FLAC is better in some way (they are both open-source now, as I understand it). Some of you are talking about multichannel files; since I haven't encoded anything yet, are there certain settings I need to be aware of? I actually am a big music-lover (and a multitude of genres, including classical - I teach music part-time and perform, in addition to my various other occupations), but just haven't chosen to spend the $$ for a good system (since my wife doesn't care that much). Now that I will have a nice setup, I plan on taking full advantage of my personal "studio". :)

Just received from my Tesla rep:

Sounds like he didn't get my question.

Is this a small victory? (yes on FLAC, but a blank stare on discreet)

I just learned that my favorite group got permission to re-release their music in FLAC and just made it available for download. But it is discreet, of course.

Should I assume it will not play properly based on that response and pass on it? I already paid for hard copies in DVDa 5.1 and BluRay but they are copy protected.
I just can't see spending money on mp3 due to the quality.

Some of us have tested FLAC format. For two-channel, it works well. ALAC might work too, but I haven't tested them on the cars in Tesla's demo inventory yet (others on the forum may have, and my memory sucks today). The majority of your CDs are very likely two-channel. You'd know it for sure if they weren't: they wouldn't play on cheap equipment like a discman.

If you choose to rip into either format, it's very likely to play well in Model S without a problem. If it doesn't, you have "gold masters" to encode later to lossy formats that are known to work. And that can be automated so you don't have to swap discs for days. If you start ripping now, you might be done by the time your model S is delivered. :)

If your hearing is less-than-a-perfectionsist's, like mine, you probably can choose a lossy format. Unless you have a reference studio close at hand, you would have to be really good to pick out the lossless from lossy-format audio playback. I personally can't. There will be others who say they can. It's a personal choice. MP3 or AAC at 320 kbps or better, will likely make you very happy. The iTunes Match idea from pilotSteve intrigues me... It sounds like a GREAT way to fetch high-bit versions of music without breaking open a single CD case.

Not to be an Apple 'fanboy' but you can purchase the iTunes Match service (which grants you rights to Apple's full quality version of all your songs, even those you rip'd from CDs), then re-download everything as AAC, high bit-rate MP3 or whatever you want. With a google search you can find out how to 'delete' then 're-download' all your songs in the new higher quality format. Something to consider. I did it with my large collection of CDs that I had only in medium quality MP3 and now have everything in AAC.

That sounds intriguing. I'll check it out. After researching and some tests, I'm guessing AAC should be doable for me (although the real test will be in my S) . I have a few really good CD's I'll use a lossless format just for posterity's sake.

Some of us have tested FLAC format. For two-channel, it works well. ALAC might work too, but I haven't tested them on the cars in Tesla's demo inventory yet (others on the forum may have, and my memory sucks today). The majority of your CDs are very likely two-channel. You'd know it for sure if they weren't: they wouldn't play on cheap equipment like a discman.

If you choose to rip into either format, it's very likely to play well in Model S without a problem. If it doesn't, you have "gold masters" to encode later to lossy formats that are known to work. And that can be automated so you don't have to swap discs for days. If you start ripping now, you might be done by the time your model S is delivered. :)

If your hearing is less-than-a-perfectionsist's, like mine, you probably can choose a lossy format. Unless you have a reference studio close at hand, you would have to be really good to pick out the lossless from lossy-format audio playback. I personally can't. There will be others who say they can. It's a personal choice. MP3 or AAC at 320 kbps or better, will likely make you very happy. The iTunes Match idea from pilotSteve intrigues me... It sounds like a GREAT way to fetch high-bit versions of music without breaking open a single CD case.

Can someone with a production car test if Apple Lossless format is supported? Sadly, to me the difference between 320 AAC and lossless is like night and day -- even (or especially) through a pair of noise-cancelling headphones on an airplane.

Which is why Apple Match is a complete waste for me: Apple Match music is encoded in 256 kbps AAC. I'm thrilled if it works for you but unfortunately, it's not a solution that is workable for me.

Thanks!!

Can someone with a production car test if Apple Lossless format is supported? Sadly, to me the difference between 320 AAC and lossless is like night and day -- even (or especially) through a pair of noise-cancelling headphones on an airplane.

Which is why Apple Match is a complete waste for me: Apple Match music is encoded in 256 kbps AAC. I'm thrilled if it works for you but unfortunately, it's not a solution that is workable for me.

Thanks!!

I tried converting a FLAC file I found online to a .m4a file and it didn't seem to play on my Model S.

I guess this is one time when being around jets my whole military career is going to pay off. I am good with 192 and even up to 320 (which most of my music is). But above that, I really can't tell the difference. I mean, sorry that the highs aren't any crisper anymore, but that's the deal that comes with grey hair and teenagers. But that doesn't preclude the fact that I have a 32GB micro SD card in a micro reader all ready to plug in.