Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Testing audio formats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.m4v? Really? I would expect .m4a (MPEG-4 Audio), but I thought .m4v was "MPEG-4 Video"

Also, .m4a does not uniquely describe the codec of the file. Both AAC and ALAC (Apple Lossless) files are .m4a. AAC plays, ALAC does not, so far as I know.

MPEG-4 is a container format, not an audio CODEC, to be precise. The Model S will correctly handle MPEG-4 containers, and the support for the audio inside those containers is going to be a separate list. I can't wait to get my car to spend a few hours putting this debate to rest. :)

If someone can provide samples of the various audio formats we still don't know about then I or someone else can put them on a USB drive and try them out. I tried the ALAC and that didn't work.

If someone can provide samples of the various audio formats we still don't know about then I or someone else can put them on a USB drive and try them out. I tried the ALAC and that didn't work.

Making the sample files - at least collecting them - is what takes the longest amount of time. Unless a pro audio engineer around here has some reference files they'd be willing to "loan"...

The sheet says WAV multichannel is a Yes. Is this true??? After it failed to play my FLAC multichannel I assumed any multichannel was a no go. I can't find a reference to this in the thread.

Now I just need to figure out how to make a WAV multichannel and I'm giving this a shot!

Hi Jason,

Try this for a start:

Multichannel 7.1 and 5.1 Wav Test Files

Larry

ARGH! It plays but only channels 1 and 2 play. The other channels are simply missed. Had you or someone else tried this with a different result?

So bummed. Was really excited there for a minute.

Hi Jason,

Like everyone else I've been following the threads that said someone had tested this during a Tesla test drive, but I was a little skeptical. If they were playing music they may have been listening to matrixed surrounds without realizing it. I think this test with voiced channels would provide more definitive results.

I won't be getting my car for about 3 - 5 weeks. I'll give it a try then, but I'm not expecting much.

Larry

ARGH! It plays but only channels 1 and 2 play. The other channels are simply missed. Had you or someone else tried this with a different result?

So bummed. Was really excited there for a minute.

I was temporarily thrilled, yet skeptical, regarding the discreet multichannel news as well.

I am concerned about George Blankenships response regarding the sound system though. I got the impression that he thought that the premium system is adequate as it stands.
I hope they plan to continue working on it so that it will play discreet multichannel music formats.

Last edited:
has anyone hooked up a bus powered hard drive to their USB to see if:

(a) it will power up and read the mp3/aac/wav/etc. files

and

(b) if all the files are represented? (I had a Ford Sync in my truck that only allowed about 22,000 of the 80k songs to be read - sure, why do you need that many? I know, I know).

Thanks
WJ

WJ, I haven't tried. But was thinking of it myself. I might try next weekend.

Has anyone tried playing a DTS surround file? I'm not even sure what kind of audio container I can put that in or what program to do it in. I might play around but thought someone might know. This in the never ending pursuit of the sliver of hope that we might be able to get discrete surround to work.

Maybe going slightly off topic, but I'm also confused about something with Dolby Pro-Logic. I can't find anyway to find out if a CD or song actually has a Pro-logic matrix. And it's hard for me to even tell by ear (which may cause some to argue it's a moot question, but I feel like if I actually knew I was getting what I'm supposed to then I could figure it out.) I also can't figure out how to create a Dolby ProLogic matrix when converting a discrete surround file (Flac or WAV) to stereo. Anyone here know or can point to a website that explains? In theory I'd think this is a problem others would have addressed. But I suppose anyone who cares enough has equipment that can play discrete surround, so no one tried to make Prologic surround anymore. (Except us with the Tesla surround problem.)