Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Testing audio formats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fwiw, i've got a 256GB SSD playing great in the tesla. used an ocz vertex 4 in a 2.5" usb drive caddy, very fast, but requires two usb connections for enough power.. not a big deal as i don't really charge my phone in the car much anyway.

the ssd is actually 512GB but when i formatted in fat32 that's all it gave me. i thought the volume size limit was much higher, but maybe not.. my plan now is to copy off and repartition the ssd into two of 250 each and recopy back, that way i can get the rest of the library on there, about 300GBs in apple lossless (converted to flac in xld, took about 20 hours. no kidding.)

but sounds great. much better than ota radio or internet radio.

EDIT: i take it back, operator error, i thought i put the 512 in the caddy, but i actually did put the 256 in there. so.. no mystery why it's only 256 gigs. d'oh.

Last edited:
Tried lossless AAC today - car does NOT play them. It sees files, reads data and album art, but then says "Cannot play this song". Will try MP3s later. Also, car does not recognize 64GB stick formatted as exFAT. Only regular FAT works. Interestingly enough Mac can format stick as MS-DOS FAT, but Windows 8 only offered exFAT and NTFS formats...

Are you using WMA lossless? Or lossy WMA? If so what bitrate? I only tested a single WMA lossy file. I didn't notice, but was too busy grinning like mad. I havn't noticed the few times I used WMA Lossless files in my car. I don't have a big memory stick, so I have been using MP3s.

Was there ever a resolution on this issue? I also notice that my WMAs have hitches, pops, and cracks on playback (at several different bitrates). No problems with FLACs, or MP3s.

Ah damn... I have been sitting all night (on my old T61 with sloooooow USB ports) copying 28GB og FLAC to my Cruzer fit thumbdrive to prepare for my mid-september delivery..

I formatted it and thought to myself; lets do NTFS! I'm not a big fan of the FAT systems - and I've got all the NTFS permissions management stuff behind my ear every time I set up a partition.
Just NOW I read the car doesnt support NTFS. Bummer.

Well, time to set aside some extra disc space for my newly organized USB content...

Keep in mind, the car needs to index all the files on the drive before you will be able to use it, according to my service center rep. I have around 7k mp3s on a 64GB flash drive formatted as FAT32, and I still have not been able to use the drive after over a week. According to the SC person, the car restarts the indexing process every time the drive is removed and/or the car is turned off. I don't have a very long commute, so the car has never been able to complete indexing before I reach my destination.

i m playing the FLAC by using my USB 128gb. When i choose the song by folder no album pics were shown. The pics only shown up when i look up from album but i dont understand why the songs in same album were not at one album instead it separated one by one.

please help!

i am using mac and i tried metadata to tag all infos and album pics too.

thank you

i m playing the FLAC by using my USB 128gb. When i choose the song by folder no album pics were shown. The pics only shown up when i look up from album but i dont understand why the songs in same album were not at one album instead it separated one by one.

please help!

i am using mac and i tried metadata to tag all infos and album pics too.

thank you
I'm not sure I follow you entirely.
When I tested FLAC (tried both 24bit 196kHz from an SACD rip I did and normal 16bit 44kHz from a normal CD), it ignored any covers or photos. It obtains the covers of the album via the on board Internet, as long as you have the artist / album / track name metadata in the actual files.
However, from memory, it does not give you thumbnails when looking at the album list, only once you started playing a track.

Last edited by a moderator: