Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio upgrade? Anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have standard sound too and it sounds kind of mediocre compared to our other car (ICE sedan).

I would probably do the upgrade next time, but I hope it includes some sound insulation in the doors because right now just as much low freq sound goes outside the car as inside.

I have standard sound and Love it! I don't hear any bottoming or warping of the cones in the low end and the highs are tuned very well, mid-range fills the midspectrum completely without sounding hollow. I usually run the volume between 4-6 with the fade set slightly toward the rear and stream Spotify from phone at extreme quality (320 kbit/s). My playlist is videogame music exclusive such as Deus Ex, Sid Meier's ..., Halo, Witcher, Far Cry, etc. so I get a wide range of music type through the speakers. All that said, I wish there was a subwoofer because I love the sound and feel of sub harmonics. If Tesla comes up with a way to make it possible I'd add a small one.

I agree, standard audio needs help!
I had an upgraded Model X loaner for a couple weeks and the sound was better but still wasn't close to my 2015 GTI with upgraded sound! I plan on adding a quality amp to help out the front speakers. Hopefully that will be enough and I won't have to replace them. Sub also was lacking for my taste in the upgraded audio so I'm glad we didn't waste our money there. Plenty of room under the front seats for one or two nice subs.
Not sure where the tiny amp is in the X. Anyone know?

I agree, standard audio needs help!
I had an upgraded Model X loaner for a couple weeks and the sound was better but still wasn't close to my 2015 GTI with upgraded sound! I plan on adding a quality amp to help out the front speakers. Hopefully that will be enough and I won't have to replace them. Sub also was lacking for my taste in the upgraded audio so I'm glad we didn't waste our money there. Plenty of room under the front seats for one or two nice subs.
Not sure where the tiny amp is in the X. Anyone know?
At one point I think it was in the trunk side-wall on the passenger side. Not sure if they moved it with the new AP2.0 design.

--Update--
I was mistaken. It's the sub-woofer that is in that location (in PUP vehicles). There are 2 amps (again with PUP) in the front of the vehicle. The one by the main display is common to both PUP and standard audio. The amp on the driver's side is added with PUP. Check out this article for more info.
Model-X-6-seats-top-trimmed-7303.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta love how instead of answering your question or providing insight, majority of people here just state their option and how they are satisfied....

There's another post where someone got a quote and it came out to around 2K. I believe they were in Florida but don't remember.

With how new/uncommon these vehicles are, I'd assume a lot of places will charge a premium. I can tell you thought that as of my phone call with my SC about two months ago, Tesla won't upgrade or even provide parts. It requires some cutting of the interior apparently and I'd assume is the same for aftermarket.

After some time, maybe some softening of the speakers or something, I feel that the standard sound package is more than enough for my liking. Anymore bass, and I think I would get a headache. Plus the road noise and wind noise of the Model X doesn't make it exactly a great listening experience.. its as good as it can get.
Mo

• Disagree
Reactions: goldenmastiff