Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio volume misbehavior at low volume

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model 3 in October, VIN 93xxx. I'm no audiophile, but I do appreciate good quality audio, and am bothered by very low bitrates or other distortion. I really loved the premium audio in my Model S and expected the Model 3 to be similar to that. The audio system in the Model 3 has been praised by reviewers, and in general I like it, but when the volume is down around 10% or lower, such as when I have a passenger in the car and we're occasionally talking over the music, or when I am just trying to relax, the volume does something that I find unacceptably annoying. It seems to do what some TVs do when you enable "volume normalization". All audio is adjusted to be heard at the same volume, whether it's a whisper, a guitar solo, or a trumpet blast.

For example, if the volume is low and a song comes on that starts with only vocals, then after a while a loud drum section starts on top of the vocals, the volume drops so that the drums are the same volume as the vocals previously were, and the vocals are very quiet. Then when the drums stop and the vocals continue, the volume rises again and I can hear the vocals clearly. Of note, if the volume is high, say, 25% or more, this does not happen.

This behavior is tolerable when listening to a podcast where relative volume levels aren't that important, but for music it's an awful effect. I've never heard anyone else ever complain about this, so I wonder if it's some unique thing with my car. I've disabled the immersive audio options and tried different audio sources including FLAC files on a flash drive, but the issue persists. It's happened since Day 1, and the car has gone through several software updates since then. It's so nuanced that I hesitate to bring it up, but it really is one of the things I like least about my car and would love to find a solution!

I have a SR+. I have a Reus system installed which is a high-end system that uses the Tesla head unit (how could you replace it?). I assure you the sound quality is definitely not diminished in any way.

Some day I will do some testing to see which file formats work best.

so, you are saying that the car audio system adds *compression* to the music, effectively lowering its dynamic range?

I have not noticed but it could be possible.

it would not be hard to verify with standard .wav files and some mics (etc).

Like the topic starter also notes the "compression effect" is very noticeable on low volume (when travelling with the family). For my personal use, with volume more up, the system sounds excellent. I assume that this is specific problem with my car. I will contact a Service Center to investigate.

Like the topic starter also notes the "compression effect" is very noticeable on low volume (when travelling with the family). For my personal use, with volume more up, the system sounds excellent. I assume that this is specific problem with my car. I will contact a Service Center to investigate.
All of the streaming services compress the music. I can easily hear it at any volume.

Same problem here (VIN 239XXX, delivered March 2019). It is very annoying when traveling with the family. Did you find a solution?
I am curious if you finally found a solution or if provided by Tesla. I picked up my tesla in September 2020 and have the exact same problem, the solution provided by Tesla is to turn off the deep bass, but that does not improve. they tell me there is nothing wrong, but it is annoying.

I never found a solution, per se, but the issue seems to have gone away. I don't know if it's because I finally found the right equalization or if it was really fixed, or if I'm somehow gotten used to it. Honestly, I forgot that I created this thread until today when TMC sent me an email about 5Oaks's post above! So... sorry that this message is totally unhelpful. :)