Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audiophiles, what gives better sound quality? Apple Music via bluetooth or the built-in Apple Music app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You keep telling people this because it's 2023 and people don't want to have to fiddle with USB music (and Tesla's goofy file structure)

What goofy structure?

Use the folders view and it'll have exactly the structure you set up on the key when you put all the music there.

when they are used to AA and Carplay. These cars at the very least should have USB ipod connectivity like pretty well every other car since 2005.

Why?

It's much easier and cheaper to put the same music on a USB key and just leave it plugged in all the time. Then I don't have to worry about pulling my phone out, physically plugging it into the car, having a cable laying around, and having to put my phone someplace other than said pocket.

Been using a key since 2018 with 200+ GB of music, and it just flat out works without having to do ANYTHING but select USB as a source, and maybe a few times a year bring the key inside to add new music to it. Full 100% quality FLAC audio all the time, laid out exactly the way I set it up on my PC via folders.

It's not like I haven't used Carplay in rentals- it's a PITA every time in comparison.

All the Tidal tests seem to be on Wi-Fi or downloads. I suspect Tidal on LTE is 320 kbps or so. Still better than the others, but equivalent to high-quality MP3 not full CD quality FLAC. Many people can't hear the difference anyway; I'm jealous of them, lol.

I'd be pretty surprised if it's 320kbps on LTE, that'd be MUCH higher than any other streaming Tesla ever allowed that way, but would be curious if anyone has actually checked

Last edited:
Reactions: Lashlee
The results of Burkland’s tests state that Apple Music app still sucks, here’s the numbers

TIDAL ~1165 kbps.
Spotify ~157 kbps.
Apple Music ~118 kbps.

The Bluetooth Streaming of music.

Bluetooth 4.1 in Tesla Model 3 supports a lot up to 990 Kbps so it comes down to which codec your phone uses, if it is an iPhone 2017 or later release it uses AAC which gives us 256 kbps

Making Bluetooth music from iPhone superior to Apple Music app (if you’re using a recent iPhone)

Hope this info helps :) took me a bit of effort! But I was curious too!
I was actually surprised by how crappy Apple Music sounded. Now I see why. We already have much better sources than that, why did they even bother? That isn't any better than Slacker.

I'll stick with Tidal.

Reactions: Dinoraptor101
What goofy structure?

Use the folders view and it'll have exactly the structure you set up on the key when you put all the music there.

Why?

It's much easier and cheaper to put the same music on a USB key and just leave it plugged in all the time. Then I don't have to worry about pulling my phone out, physically plugging it into the car, having a cable laying around, and having to put my phone someplace other than said pocket.

Been using a key since 2018 with 200+ GB of music, and it just flat out works without having to do ANYTHING but select USB as a source, and maybe a few times a year bring the key inside to add new music to it. Full 100% quality FLAC audio all the time, laid out exactly the way I set it up on my PC via folders.

It's not like I haven't used Carplay in rentals- it's a PITA every time in comparison.

I'd be pretty surprised if it's 320kbps on LTE, that'd be MUCH higher than any other streaming Tesla ever allowed that way, but would be curious if anyone has actually checked
We are just going to have to agree to disagree. I get that organizing a USB library is dear to your heart but the masses largely don't want to have to fuss with having to rearrange their desktop USB library every time they add new music to their playlists. I can download a new lossless song right now on my phone with Apple music, add it to my collection and instantly play that song on Carplay or USB in any modern vehicle without having to resort to doing several steps on my desktop computer and removing and re-installing the USB memory in the glove compartment every single time I add a new song or album. It's 2023 not 2003.

Probably not, but I feel the same as @UncertainTimes said earlier in this thread:

I consider myself a home theater audiophile but for music, I basically dont care much. Especially since my car is fairly noisy. To my ears apple music sounds better in the car than spotify, but not sure that is saying much. It certainly is good enough for me, though.
Were we to have high quality active noise cancellation THEN such things will make big difference. I once had a very noisy transportation device which, once equipped with excellent noise cancellation suddenly needed higher quality audio.

In my home I do use lossless sources most of time, which becomes essential for understanding subtleties, I ignore anything like that in my Tesla because it is so noisy at speed. Tesla really should fix that, especially for S & X and for others as an option. When I bought my Plaid it was to have been included. NADA! Other people gripe about FSD, from it's the absence of the absence of noise. Some airplanes have it working well, most car solutions are dreadful, Tesla seems to ignore the subject, probably because most of the good solutions need heavy insulation too.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree. I get that organizing a USB library is dear to your heart but the masses largely don't want to have to fuss with having to rearrange their desktop USB library every time they add new music to their playlists. I can download a new lossless song right now on my phone with Apple music, add it to my collection and instantly play that song on Carplay or USB in any modern vehicle without having to resort to doing several steps on my desktop computer and removing and re-installing the USB memory in the glove compartment every single time I add a new song or album. It's 2023 not 2003.

I mean, if I aquire new music, I want a copy anywhere I listen-- so I'd HAVE TO update the home service music library anyway. Then I just clone that to the USB drive.

For folks using the same USB for music and dashcam they need to pull it out regularly anyway to clear off old dashcam footage (the "format key in car" thing risks nuking your music after all) so they can just update the library when they do that.

No it doesn't get you every new song in real time--but it gets you every song that's there in vastly higher quality than any other in-car option.

Agree. Definitely better than Spotify. I thought Apple was streaming at lesser quality compared to Tidal (not using Wi-Fi/download)? I suppose I’ll give Apple another try.
I believe Apple Music streams at a lower bitrate but possibly with a more capable codec.

I’m another one whose ears don’t generally tolerate Spotify, but does generally tolerate Apple Music.

Pratting about with other solutions doesn’t appeal for a myriad of reasons.