Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audiophiles, what gives better sound quality? Apple Music via bluetooth or the built-in Apple Music app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told that this version of Apple Music won't play content from the USB storage; haven't been able to test that because I can't get past the first step since I don't have (and don't want) an Apple Music streaming account. (on all my other devices Apple Music works fine with no account). I'd (very grudgingly) consider an account if it let me play my stored music with a decent interface, as long as it didn't also require premium connectivity, which I'm also not about to buy.
I doubt Tesla is going to add iphone USB compatibility especially seeing we only have the lone data port in the glove box that is used for dashcam.

I doubt Tesla is going to add iphone USB compatibility especially seeing we only have the lone data port in the glove box that is used for dashcam.
Isn't that the port people use to plug in either SSDs or USB sticks with their USB music on them? Apparently you need to partition the drive-- I haven't done it successfully yet, but have been reading descriptions of the process. Without a decent player though there's little incentive.

After a software update last week, I started using Apple Music in my Tesla. The sound is decent and definitely not worse than spotify, but the artists from my library do not sync correctly. Out of several dozen performers on my iPhone, only seven got into the Tesla and nothing has changed for several days. Does anyone have a similar problem?

I don't have the update yet so I can't confirm, but I've heard that Apple Music app on Tesla does not sync songs you have manually downloaded and uploaded to your Apple Music account

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
Another factor here is the phone being used. Different phones use different DSPs and different codecs. This would affect SQ. Quite likely there's an SQ difference using BT Apple Music streaming from a budget no-name phone vs the latest iPhone Pro.

I don't have the update yet so I can't confirm, but I've heard that Apple Music app on Tesla does not sync songs you have manually downloaded and uploaded to your Apple Music account
It syncs with the artists, albums, and playlists on my iPhone. At the moment it does not have the ability to download songs like Tidal which is unfortunate. It does have the ability shuffle songs which is something Tidal lacked. It's like Tesla doesn't want to give you everything. Each app has to have it's compromises.

Reactions: CDrury
Best quality by far will be something lossless (FLAC, etc) from local USB.

After that- Tidal HQ if you're on Wifi or downloaded locally

After that- Likely bluetooth at 256kb/s because to my knowledge all in-car non-wifi streaming happens at 128kb/s or worse.

That said, I don't think anyone has definitively measured the streaming quality from Apple Music since it was added- but I'd be fairly surprised if Tesla decided to allow them higher bandwidth than they do Spotify, Tidal, or Slacker over LTE, which again has always been 128k or worse in the 3/Y.

I guess that answers the question. I'll stick with Tidal Lossless.

As for being able to tell the difference, it isn't that on any individual track I can say with certainty which is the lossless but that compressed music leads to listening fatigue. That one song will come on and all you can hear is how bad it sounds. I have many times forgotten to turn on the hotspot (it doesn't automatically connect with an iPhone for security reasons) and at some point will stop the music because it wasn't enjoyable. Sometimes that is because I don't like the song, but all too frequently the sound was just getting grating and when that happens it is almost always the compression. And again, is isn't that I can easily pick out compressed vs. lossless.

The car is quiet enough that it doesn't mask the music, I don't understand how anybody can say the noise makes it not matter. Don't you turn it up to 11 anyway? And there is another point, the louder you play compressed music the worse it sounds. I've also replaced the speakers in my car with the forum recommended Focal and Infinity drivers. They sound much better than the originals without being too much trouble to install.

I have played the exact same song streaming back to back Tidal and Apple Music in my M3P and Apple Music sounds better streamed but downloaded Tidal songs sound best. Would be nice if Tesla afforded users the ability to store Apple Music files but I sense that may not come for some time according to the article.

I have Tesla premium connectivity that will play pretty much anything I ask for through the car. Not sure what the native music service is that Tesla uses.

That said, if I open Amazon Premium Music on my Samsung and Bluetooth that, the sound quality is MUCH better.

I wish Tesla would add Amazon Music as one of the streaming options, but given that Musk and Bezos are in a space war, I doubt Tesla would add anything Amazon related.

I have many times forgotten to turn on the hotspot (it doesn't automatically connect with an iPhone for security reasons)
FYI Apple recently enabled turning on hotspot from the Shortcuts app. I set up an automation thru Shortcuts to enable hotspot when I get in the car, it triggers when my phone connects to the car’s Bluetooth

FYI Apple recently enabled turning on hotspot from the Shortcuts app. I set up an automation thru Shortcuts to enable hotspot when I get in the car, it triggers when my phone connects to the car’s Bluetooth
I tried to automate that but instead of just running the macro it would prompt and ask if I wanted to run it, defeating the whole purpose of the automation.

How did you get this to work? I have the latest and greatest 14 Pro phone.

I tried to automate that but instead of just running the macro it would prompt and ask if I wanted to run it, defeating the whole purpose of the automation.

How did you get this to work? I have the latest and greatest 14 Pro phone.
I believe the OP will have to answer the prompt each time. Bluetooth class triggers in Personal Automations can’t be automatically triggered due to an Apple restriction.

I believe the OP will have to answer the prompt each time. Bluetooth class triggers in Personal Automations can’t be automatically triggered due to an Apple restriction.

However there seems another way to do this, but I haven’t tested it yet.

Configure the “Driving” Focus to automatically enable when connected to Car Bluetooth, then create a Personal Shortcut to turn on the Personal Hotspot when the “Driving Focus” turns on.

You can then toggle the “Ask Before Running” option off on the Shortcut page, and that combination may well be a good solution.

I shall test it tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2EE5A015-B9CA-41E2-8965-7973B92DA550.png
    2EE5A015-B9CA-41E2-8965-7973B92DA550.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 138
Thanks for the update, that makes sense now, what a bummer!!! Maybe a future update might fix this. Will have to keep the none purchased stuff on my split usb drive for now and play via that. At least playing through the usb is more convenient that bluetooth.

I've been using Apple Music on my phone and via bluetooth playing it on my Tesla.

With the recent software update, Tesla added a built-in Apple Music app.

Which way should I be playing the music if I want to get the best sound quality, bluetooth or the Tesla app? Or are they the same sound quality wise?
You really want to avoid BT if possible .. sure they try to use a decent codec but the music has already had one round of lossy compression by Apple .. you dont want to have your phone unwrap it and then compress it AGAIN on its way to the car.

OTOH, tbh the car is NOT a good environment for sound .. even when stationary. The Tesla sound system is pretty good, but at the end of the day it's a car, with traffic noise and road noise etc. So while you might JUST be able to hear a difference, the environment is hardly conducive to picking out the subtleties of codecs. My attitude is to enjoy the music no matter when has been mangled on the way to my ears .. when I want to do critical listening I'll do it at home :)

Also moving the media to the bottom left of the screen covers up the Homelink controls so they don't pop up anymore when you get close to home.
Homelink isn't just covered up, it's been moved back to the top of the screen. Now when we get close to home it appears near the temperature display, where we can press an "Activate"/"Cancel" button or open the full menu.

I actually preferred the media where it was before below the map as my right hand obstructs the view of the artist/song information when I'm driving.

Agreed, it's harder for the driver to see now, unless we're already reaching for it. Also, it's harder for passengers to reach. Maybe Tesla moved it because drivers were poking at the music controls in an unsafe way, but now this affects how we hold the steering wheel so I don't see how it is better.