Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi's Latest EV Reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love these types of statements:

"With its 95 kWh battery, the e-tron quattro has an impressive range of 310 miles on a single charge. Tesla’s Model X SUV has a range of 240 miles on a single charge."

I see. Tesla's car on the road has 240 miles of range but Audi's car, that only exists as a prototype, and won't go into production until 2018, get's better range. Yet it can't even take me to the corner store and, of course, Tesla will have the same range in 2018 as it's current cars (sarcasm). Yes, that's really impressive range compared to Tesla.

Don't get me wrong. This is good news and the more EV's being made the better, but statements like that are really idiotic journalism.

I love these types of statements:

"With its 95 kWh battery, the e-tron quattro has an impressive range of 310 miles on a single charge. Tesla’s Model X SUV has a range of 240 miles on a single charge."

I see. Tesla's car on the road has 240 miles of range but Audi's car, that only exists as a prototype, and won't go into production until 2018, get's better range. Yet it can't even take me to the corner store and, of course, Tesla will have the same range in 2018 as it's current cars (sarcasm). Yes, that's really impressive range compared to Tesla.

Don't get me wrong. This is good news and the more EV's being made the better, but statements like that are really idiotic journalism.

Even worse, the Audi "range" is likely based on the European driving cycle, (NEDC), which is much easier than the EPA cycle. I believe the existing Model S can hit 310 on the NEDC

I suspect the S90D will go over 310 on the NEDC driving cycle.

AUDI is full of NOX, I mean hot air.

A relative of mine works for an Audi supplier near Ingolstadt. Apparently Audi has a "significant" number of EVs driving around. Some of them clearly conversions of existing models (he got to ride in an A6 station wagon EV a few weeks ago). They are definitely exploring what to do there. But I agree with the other people posting in this thread. Given their track record, until I can drive this car off a dealership lot (which I would LOVE to do, btw), this needs to be taken with a small grain of salt. Like one of these:

saltcrystalraw2.jpg

Doubt the 310 figure is NEDC. NEDC will have been phased out by 2018 so I think most manufacturers will be designing to the new WLTC cycle.
I can also confirm that Audi is active in designing and developing electric drive train component and spending real money on it. For the time being it looks like this project is ON.

I don't understand the glee of people. In order for the EV transformation to work we need many more vendors to build competitive EVs. There is no way that Tesla can serve the whole market.
So we all should cheer for major car makers to get into this market.

I don't understand the glee of people. In order for the EV transformation to work we need many more vendors to build competitive EVs. There is no way that Tesla can serve the whole market.
I think it's more cynicism after all the major car makers have done to forestall the advent of EVs, and when they do make EVs it's little more than a token effort, to do the bare minimum necessary to make compliance cars.

I think it's more cynicism after all the major car makers have done to forestall the advent of EVs, and when they do make EVs it's little more than a token effort, to do the bare minimum necessary to make compliance cars.
That I feel as well. I've been going from dealer to dealer over the past few months and have driven every single EV for sale in the US and most of the recent PHEVs.
Tesla has no competition. Absolutely nothing. Not even with a generous helping of goodwill and desire to buy a different car. It does indeed feel as if the other car makers are intentionally sabotaging the chances of their EVs.

That I feel as well. I've been going from dealer to dealer over the past few months and have driven every single EV for sale in the US and most of the recent PHEVs.
Tesla has no competition. Absolutely nothing. Not even with a generous helping of goodwill and desire to buy a different car. It does indeed feel as if the other car makers are intentionally sabotaging the chances of their EVs.
It feels that way because it's true. Although they may make something to sell to the committed EV enthusiast, it's not in their interest to make a car that will attract mainstream buyers and cannabilize their ICE sales. The legacy auto makers have too much invested in ICE to want EVs to become successful, and that's not even mentioning the interests of their dealers who need ICE dominance to continue in order to survive.

I don't understand the glee of people.

I think it has something to do with every other article proclaiming the next "TESLA KILLER", not to mention years of simply saying Tesla is a pipe dream doomed to fail. So forgive us our glee when the "TESLA KILLERS" have no teeth. Eventually they will, though by then I don't think they'll be capable of causing any serious damage to Tesla.

Yes, I cheer every auto manufacturer press release about the incredible EV they plan to make, someday, and every concept EV they show, many of which will likely never be seen again. So far, after over 7 years of Tesla actually manufacturing long range EVs, no other car company has put one into production.
I am expecting 2016 to be the year that changes, with the GM Bolt (and then GM has to persuade their dealers to seriously promote them, and good luck with that). And then maybe in 2017 we might see one or two more long range EVs. We hope...

It feels that way because it's true. Although they may make something to sell to the committed EV enthusiast, it's not in their interest to make a car that will attract mainstream buyers and cannabilize their ICE sales. The legacy auto makers have too much invested in ICE to want EVs to become successful, and that's not even mentioning the interests of their dealers who need ICE dominance to continue in order to survive.
So true. So sad and so true.
I think it has something to do with every other article proclaiming the next "TESLA KILLER", not to mention years of simply saying Tesla is a pipe dream doomed to fail. So forgive us our glee when the "TESLA KILLERS" have no teeth. Eventually they will, though by then I don't think they'll be capable of causing any serious damage to Tesla.
I completely agree. The "Tesla Killer" headlines are just too funny. And the strained comparisons (here, let's compare a fictitious, ideal range of a non existing future car with the actual realistic range of a Tesla shipping since last year).
Yes, I cheer every auto manufacturer press release about the incredible EV they plan to make, someday, and every concept EV they show, many of which will likely never be seen again. So far, after over 7 years of Tesla actually manufacturing long range EVs, no other car company has put one into production.
I am expecting 2016 to be the year that changes, with the GM Bolt (and then GM has to persuade their dealers to seriously promote them, and good luck with that). And then maybe in 2017 we might see one or two more long range EVs. We hope...
(my bold)
Oh my. As I mentioned, I drove all of the EVs I could get my hands on in the last few weeks. The GM dealers around here try not to have you drive the Spark. One that I drive by on my way home from work who has six or seven in their back lot, when I called, told me that I couldn't test drive one because there was no demand and he couldn't get one in - when I asked about the ones in the lot I was told they weren't there; I hung up. Another dealer admitted to having one and let me drive it (not a great car, btw). Then I went to the Mercedes dealership down the street to drive the B Class EV. The car had 26 miles of range (so maybe 30% SOC), the sales person knew absolutely nothing about it. "Range?" "Don't know." "Horse power?" "Don't know." "Is there a sport mode? It feels sluggish." "EVs aren't sporty cars, they are just for the eco crowd" - "YOU BLEEPING MORON I DROVE UP IN A TESLA P85D THAT IS DRIVING CIRCLES AROUND EVERY SINGLE CAR THAT MERCEDES OFFERS INCLUDING ALL YOUR AMGs".
Yeah, that didn't go so well...

So yes, the challenge is a) major vendors taking EVs seriously b) instead of just talking about an EV with decent design and decent range, actually making one and bringing it to market and c) then actually being able to sell it through their dealer network...

News regarding the planned Audi SUV EV:

Press Release

Audi production network: ready for electric mobility

- Premium manufacturer to produce large series of electric cars in Brussels as of 2018
- New models for Martorell (Spain) and Győr (Hungary)
- Audi CEO Rupert Stadler: "We are increasing our efficiency and bundling key competencies"

Audi is preparing its international production network for the mobility of the future. Large series production of the first purely electric driven SUV from Audi will begin at the site in Brussels in 2018. The plant will also produce its own batteries. The company will transfer production of the Audi A1 from Belgium to Martorell in Spain. The Audi Q3, which is currently produced in Spain, will be built in Győr (Hungary) in the future.

The model rotation will benefit all the sites of Audi's global production network. "The new model distribution will enhance our production efficiency and strengthen all of the sites involved," stated Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG. "It will allow us to utilize further synergies within the Volkswagen Group and to bundle key competencies." The model decisions protect jobs and promote the internationalization of the production network.

As of 2018, Audi Brussels will exclusively produce the first battery‑electric SUV from the brand with the Four Rings for the world market. The Audi e-tron quattro concept study that was presented at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2015 provides a clear indication of the final production version. The sporty SUV will fit between the Audi Q7 and the Audi Q5 in the product portfolio. Equipped with three electric motors and a high‑capacity battery, the Audi e-tron model will offer a maximum of sportiness, driving dynamics and efficiency. It will have full everyday practicality with a range of more than 500 kilometers and will feature quick battery charging.

The Brussels plant will also have its own battery production. The site in Belgium will thus become a key plant for electric mobility at the Volkswagen Group.

In the context of this restructuring, the Audi A1, which is currently produced in Brussels, will be built in Martorell in Spain in the future. The Audi Hungaria plant in Győr will take over production of the Audi Q3, which is currently built in Spain. The site in Hungary already produces four Audi models: the Audi A3 Sedan, the Audi A3 Cabriolet, the Audi TT and the Audi TT Roadster.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/20/audi-ev-suv-built-brussels/