Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aug 2015 P90D non-L owner test drive of P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

computerchuck

Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2017
Utah
Greetings fellow Model S owners. As the title states, I’m a Model S P90D (non-L) owner and I’ve enjoyed her for over two years. I’ve decided to sell her and later purchase a newer model Tesla. As part of my due diligence, I want to see how the 2019 Performance Model 3 compared. Also of note, I test drove the AWD Long Range M3 as well.

First, I must say that I enjoyed the Model 3 more than I thought I would. I was very comfortable {I’m 5’11”, 195lbs). The User Experience with the smaller, single, horizontal screen wasn’t bad. I really think I could get used to it and like it, even though I thought I wouldn’t. Well done Tesla. I also have not liked the look of them. I considered them almost ugly. But after spending time with it and looking at it more closely, I no longer think it’s ugly. They could make the nose look much better, and it still isn’t as sexy as a Model S. No contest.

So, the tech is great, battery charging rate, FSD, almost half the cost. Pound for pound I think it’s the best Tesla you can purchase for the money. Very nice car. I would be a happy owner if I had one. Really. But......

The P3D is supposed to be 0 to 6 0 in 3.2 seconds. My MS P90D is rated for 3.1. The one I tested is only about 3 months old and with less than 1300 miles. I didn’t break out the time or anything, but there IMO a very noticeable difference in performance. Going from 0 to 60 was fast on the P3D, but when I do it in my P90D, it lurches and drives you into the seat. Okay, I thought. Maybe it’s the permanent magnet motors take a little more time to get to speed and once at higher rpm, it closes the gap. I don’t think so. I ran another test going from 35 to 70 and it just didn’t have the torque of my P90D. As soon as I got back into my car I ran the same tests. It wasn’t close. Maybe I tested a lemon at the dealership? I don’t know. And I didn’t scientifically measure it. Maybe my Model S prejudices were kicking in? I really don’t think so.

So friends, I’ve decided to go ahead and finalize the sale of my P90D, invest it for a time, then possibly purchase the new Sept release of the Model S or Raven. Whatever it is, it will not be a P3D. It will most probably be a Model S.

All my best... Please leave your comments and share your test drive experiences with us as well.

Chuck

Reactions: Nick B and Shadnic