Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Augmented Reality Projected on the Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Volkswagens new concept uses augmented reality projected on the windshield instead of an instrument cluster. We know that Tesla has hired heads up display engineers. We also know that the Model 3 is going to have an instrument display unlike any car we have seen in history (otherwise it would have been shown with an instrument panel in the first place). I think it is safe to assume that we will see an augmented reality windshield for the Model 3.
On electrek.co it is also mentioned that this Volkswagen will have a steering wheel that retracts into the dashboard and will be fully autonomous. This also lines up with Elons vision of Autopilot 2.0 and I bet the Model 3 will have the same features.

Says it at 1:24

The retractable steering wheel for now is a gimmick- cars will have to be fully autonomous for some time before they remove the ability to instantly resume control if wanted/needed.
I theorized right after the reveal that they might do something with a HUD that projects what the sensors are seeing with autopilot enabled, so you can more quickly ascertain if there might be a problem or just have more confidence in the system. The S already does this a little bit in the dash display. Plus you can daydream that you're in the F-22! :D

I think we will definitely see some form of low level augmented reality in HUD form on the windshield. I bet we will see input from the autopilot sensors as well as things like navigation and of course vital information previously supplied by an instrument cluster. What I think would be great is a full side to side augmented reality windshield that could highlight potential hazardous conditions etc but I realize this tech is probably a few years off at least.

To me, "augmented reality" describes a scenario where a certain non-transparent display panel actively displays the outside view seen by a camera and "augmented" additional information alongside it.

HUD on the other hand, just projects that additional information on windshield which is transparent so the outside view is seen passively. The likelihood is that Model 3 will have this type of HUD. In that context, I am not sure whether the reference to "augmented reality" is strictly correct. The point being, this type of HUD is already available so the tech is already there.

There were a couple of threads on HUDs and "Augmented Reality" (I've always loathed that notion and phrase) a few months ago. One of them had a video of an advanced HUD. The part I liked was integrating the navigation with the HUD, so it points out exactly which road to take.

The thing that I hate about about GPS is it'll say something like take turn on right, and there's 2 branches off to the right, and I wind up taking the wrong branch. Or it'll say "In 100 metres, turn left" and I'm sitting there "Is that this next left, or the one just a bit further?" and I wind up taking the wrong one.

Reactions: garsh
There were a couple of threads on HUDs and "Augmented Reality" (I've always loathed that notion and phrase) a few months ago. One of them had a video of an advanced HUD. The part I liked was integrating the navigation with the HUD, so it points out exactly which road to take.

The thing that I hate about about GPS is it'll say something like take turn on right, and there's 2 branches off to the right, and I wind up taking the wrong branch. Or it'll say "In 100 metres, turn left" and I'm sitting there "Is that this next left, or the one just a bit further?" and I wind up taking the wrong one.

YES! I completely agree, when they say turn in 300 feet I feel like an idiot when's i cant gauge if that's the next turn or the one after that. HUD that could highlight your route as you drive would be fantastic.

To me, "augmented reality" describes a scenario where a certain non-transparent display panel actively displays the outside view seen by a camera and "augmented" additional information alongside it.

HUD on the other hand, just projects that additional information on windshield which is transparent so the outside view is seen passively. The likelihood is that Model 3 will have this type of HUD. In that context, I am not sure whether the reference to "augmented reality" is strictly correct. The point being, this type of HUD is already available so the tech is already there.

Agreed, as cool as some type of active display on the windshield would be, could you imagine the cost to replace this when your windshield cracks? Has to be a projection as others do it now but somehow better, right?

Agreed, as cool as some type of active display on the windshield would be, could you imagine the cost to replace this when your windshield cracks? Has to be a projection as others do it now but somehow better, right?

I don't think the windshield will do anything special, no more than the screen people used to project their reel type video recordings on a couple generations ago.

Tesla has purchased Scully tech hardware to try to replicate or improve it for m3. Should be nice-simple and clean on the eyes.

Is this being reported because I don't remember hearing anything about this. I know some in here have talked about implementing a similar setup in the 3. I say they eliminate the rear view mirror and replace it with a HUD type version like you see in the helmets.

Having glasses myself, I've never had goggles over my face which were comfortable. Not respirators, safety goggles, night vision goggles, etc. Having to wear special goggles just to drive a car would be a pain in the butt and a deal killer. That falls into the category of "What were they thinking?"

Reactions: Topher and Red Sage
I wouldn't mind that glass screen at all. That would be totally cool until it gets a rock chip in it.

It certainly beats HUD - which is awful.

How about there are two curved screens. The outer one is the conventional windshield, subject to normal wear and tear. The inner one, which it curved to match, is the display screen. It is separated from the outer one by a small gap.

Sort of double-paned window idea, although the inner pane wouldn't need to cover the full height of the windshield over the driver's head. It could just cover the space from dash to sun visors - or maybe not even that tall.

It could also be hinged to swing towards the seats for easy cleaning of both surfaces and/or if/when the windshield needs replacing.