TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Augmented Reality

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by S3XY, Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
?

If Tesla were to use Augmented Reality in the Model 3 how do you think they would implement it?

1. Displayed on the Windshield

2. Displayed on Glasses you Wear

3. Displayed on the Center Console Screen

4. Displayed on Some Other Screen

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

That's VR.

AR has to include Human intervention. AR is a computer interpreting Human actions.

2. Jersey Shore Tom

Jersey Shore Tom Supporting Member

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

No, VR is 100% computer generated, hence Virtual Reality. AR is augmented actual reality (real life) overlaid with data/images/etc.

The only interaction a human does with AR is look at it with their eyes. There is no other interpretation of human actions. For everything else, there are other names such as gesture recognition, etc.

Things like HoloLens can interpret movement and orientation of the device itself using a gyroscope to change the view for a human. The gesture recognition the HoloLens has (which is horrible btw) isn't necessary for AR at all.

Eye and head tracking are useful when viewing AR with holograms such as with an AR HUD so things line up correctly, but again not actually necessary for AR in general.

That vein projector thing, HoloLens, MagicLeap, and an AR HUD are all examples of AR through a direct view. Examples indirect view AR would be the lines and graphics on an NFL game viewed through a TV (first down line and line of scrimmage), the Google Translate app viewed through a phone, etc.

Other than providing the view itself, AR doesn't need to interpret human actions of any kind.

4. Garlan Garner

I'm not looking for everyone to agree. I get paid to develop AR at a major Telecommunications company here in the US. That's where I'm sitting right now typing this.

Unless someone wants to re-define my job for me.

5. Jersey Shore Tom

Ok, as long as you don't expect everyone to accept your company's atypical definitions.

6. Garlan Garner

My company is AT&T. We set standards. Billions of VR applications out there. AR is on its way.

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Well, if what you're doing recognizes gestures then it's "gesture recognition."
    If is tracks body parts (head, face, eye, finger, etc) then it's "{body part} tracking."
    If you have a camera recognizing objects, then that's "object recognition"

None of these are AR though, but they can be used for human interaction with a computer. The computer might then output to some AR system... or a screen, or a text file, etc. You can also interact with a mouse and keyboard (also not AR).

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I hated organic chemistry... I loves the labs though, but slept during lecture.

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Not to beat a dead horse but here is AT&T's definition of AR:
    AT&T Developer Program

[​IMG]

I think after this thread we are all experts on the AR definition ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  10. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Wikipedia may not always be the best source, but, in this case, it does seem to agree with every other source out there.
    Definition of AUGMENTED REALITY
    the definition of augmented reality
    What is Augmented Reality?

There are several dozen more ....

My initial response was that your company's definition seems to disagree with almost every other definition I've been able to find. Then I saw that Jeff actually found their definition, so I assume it is you're interpretation of their definition.

Things like gesture control and eye tracking are just ways for you to interact with the augmented reality. It would still be augmented reality if you just sat there and did nothing.

• Like x 1
  11. 22522

22522 Active Member

Relevant field of view narrows as vehicle speed increases. Don't know how this plays with the AR UI.

12. electracity

electracity Active Member

Because Musk implies that autonomous driving is just ahead. He shouldn't have trouble replicating mobileye's functionality if he is claiming to go far beyond that system soon.

If Tesla is months late on maybe 5 percent of the autonomous driving problem, how does he have any idea when the really hard problems will be solved?

13. Jersey Shore Tom

IIRC, AP 1.0 had many millions of miles of driving data collected before many significant functions were turned on. I suspect it a several months to collect sufficient data to turn on AP 2.0.

• Like x 1
  14. calisnow

calisnow Banned

I thought/think the theory is interesting - o-chem lab though I couldn't stand.

• Like x 1
  15. Garlan Garner

#95 Garlan Garner, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    That's VR.

Gear VR | Samsung US

We are working on Samsung AR. The standard is being set - because obviously it isn't yet.

16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

No, Gear VR doesn't overlay information/data/images/etc on to the real world. It is therefore not AR. Now, if you set the Gear VR to do camera passthrough then it has the potential to do AR (because it's a view of the real world).

What dsvick is describing is an example of AR with zero human interaction, because it doesn't need human interaction to be AR. Examples might be: if you mounted your phone with the Google translate app to view some text.

You can do anything you like, you can jump in circles, wave your hands, talk to yourself, etc and the phone will just sit there and display augmented reality ( a view of the physical world overlaid with the translated text ) 100% independent of human interaction.

• Like x 1
  17. Garlan Garner

#97 Garlan Garner, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    what dsvick is describing is NOT AR. That's a weak argument you are making about jumping around with a phone- because you aren't interacting with it. An overlay is NOT AR... That's like saying a viewmaster is AR. Or kinda like saying...Will you please Xerox this? Its a term that morphed in to something else just like AR. Even the praised Wikipedia site conforms to the fact that Xerox is a verb. Is NOT. Its a company.

Wikipedia and others have mished up HUD-VR-AR and viewmasters all in the same definition. View-Master ® - View What's Possible <------ For goodness sake...they even list the phrase "Get Virtual" on their website....lol.

Anytime you are in the Chicagoland area....I can get you in to my work location where we are working on true AR at a feverish pace. Please let me know. And bring a Wikipedia writer with an eraser.

You will see in time. Till then........ I don't care. You may have the last word. That seems to be the only thing that ceases conversation.

18. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

According to every definition of AR, except yours, that I've been able to find, you do not need any sort of gesture control, eye tracking, or voice recognition for something to be considered AR. As Jeff posted, it can be as simple as having your phone translate a sign for you when you hold it up to it, or overlay restaurant reviews in your Google glass when you look at the sign. You may well be working with AR in your job, but your continued insistence that nothing else that has been mentioned could possibly be considered AR, comes across as a bit narrow minded and defensive.

If you want to continue to insist that everyone else is wrong, when we are demonstrably not, feel free to start a campaign to get the definition changed. Until then I'm going to stop discussing with you what AR is and isn't.

• Funny x 1
  19. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

You mentioned Samsung AR so we can let Samsung have the final word. Here is a single slide from Dr. Sung-Hoon Hong VP at Samsung Electronics in a presentation about the future Samsung AR offerings in December 2016 as reported by New Samsung VR Headsets Will Improve Upon HoloLens, Magic Leap.

Note Level 1

[​IMG]

here's an image from a patent by Samsung related to their future device providing both AR, VR, and MR.

The pic illustrates AR because real life is passing through the display. There are no VR elements merging with real life elements so it's not MR, and it's not 100% computer generated so it's not VR.

[​IMG]
    The only human interaction in this patent related to menu selection.

for reference this is mixed reality:
    [​IMG]

Here's a nice pic that sums things up:

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  20. Garlan Garner

IMHO.....Tesla has made no inkling that
    Works for me.