TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Augmented Reality

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by S3XY, Feb 6, 2017.

?

If Tesla were to use Augmented Reality in the Model 3 how do you think they would implement it?

1. Displayed on the Windshield

2. Displayed on Glasses you Wear

3. Displayed on the Center Console Screen

4. Displayed on Some Other Screen

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

works for me

• Like x 2
  2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Except that he didn't say that this was announcement part two of Model 3. He said that when earlier he talked about announcement part two, this announcement is what he meant. One therefore has to conclude that his statement on April 3rd was referring to this announcement.

3. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

So Garlan - what is your theory on what "spaceship controls" means and how/what the Model 3 steering wheel and display will be / look like / function?

4. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

It doesn't make sense that "spaceship" refers only to the shape of the steering wheel but not also the display system - given that the car is obviously lacking instrument controls in front of the driver. Add to the fact that you have a low dashboard, no center stack, a new vent system with no round vents taking up space, and the hires of the motorcycle helmet guy and the Hololens team member - this all points to some kind of HUD/AR. If not - then what do you think "spaceship controls" will actually be? This thread is full of people saying what they are quite sure *won't* be - but no theories on what *will* be.

Liability? :ROFLMAO: Do you remember this thing called "autopilot"? And you're worried about liability from a windshield display? Okay......

The Mobileye system had a full year of development before any of us got to use it. I was at the launch event in LA in October 2014. I was here on the boards as everybody moaned "where is my autosteering" for a full 12 months before 7.0's release in October 2015 - a very glitchy release. I have it and love it and have enjoyed watching it mature and grow "smarter" and smoother over the 18 months since its release in the wild.

I also have an AP 2 car I'm picking up in a few days - because what we have seen so far is AP 2 being developed far, far more quickly than Mobileye's sytem was. I'm very confident that given the same time they had to build the Mobileye system that AP 2 will be far superior. We're only 1 quarter from initial hardware deployment and we have a system functioning (hobbled and glitchy yes) and improving every couple weeks. Come back to us 8 months from now and tell us whether Tesla is behind or not. That will be equal time as they had with Mobileye.

• Like x 1
  5. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I have no theory. I'm waiting with anticipation like everyone else.

What kind of surprise would it be if you figure it out early?

6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

#106 MorrisonHiker, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    I know nobody else voted for glasses but it seems like an easy way of tracking the user's head and eyes. It could easily enable augmented reality, night vision, etc. Perhaps it could easily be added to existing HW2 cars as they could be wirelessly connected and work with the 8 cameras and supercomputer.

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It'd have to be wirelessly connected because there's no way the glasses they are showing could do that kind of processing in real time. I'm guessing the snapdragon could probably do a subset of what they're showing in the video.

This still doesn't alleviate the fact that many people won't want to wear them. Not only do they look bulky but they're probably heavy as well. If you've ever worn 3D LCD shutter glasses for long periods of time or even the nearly 1.3 lb Microsoft HoloLens you'll know that it's not terribly pleasant.

Does it come with the hat?
    [​IMG]

Personally, I'd like to not need to wear anything on my head other than the occasional sunglasses.

8. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

For starters I never said it won't be a HUD, I was only clarifying for the poster that the "spaceship" part of it was referring to the steering not the display. That certainly doesn't preclude a HUD. If the dash is indeed going to look the way it does in the prototypes I'd even say a HUD is probable.

Not everyone can wear glasses, not everyone like glasses. They would also probably be pretty expensive and get broken quite often.

9. S3XY

S3XY Member

I'd say the biggest reason that 3D TV's haven't taken off is that no one wants to wear the glasses. Who's going to want to wear them in a car? How would someone that wears glasses wear HUD glasses?

10. MorrisonHiker

#110 MorrisonHiker, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    I think most people wear sunglasses. What if AR glasses were clear and a lot smaller, such as Google Glass?

The videos above were from two years ago so I think they could've come a long way since then. As for people who wear glasses, they could make them just large enough to work with glasses or sunglasses. While 3D glasses aren't the most attractive, they work fine with prescription glasses. I'm sure AR glasses could accommodate prescription glasses as well.

To be honest, I hate wearing glasses so I wear contacts 99.9% of the time that I'm awake. With that being said, I have no problem wearing sunglasses when necessary. I would have no problem wearing AR glasses if they provided the awesome features hinted at in the videos above. Another possible benefit of AR glasses is that perhaps multiple pairs per vehicle would be possible. With HUD, it would likely only work for the driver.

11. DarthPierce

DarthPierce Member

Have you ever worn glasses that fit over other glasses for any length of time? They are incredibly awkward and uncomfortable - and that's not including all the extra weight added to make them active devices.

No way.

• Like x 3
  12. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

You couldn't make the HUD glasses smaller, there are a number of people that have to wear prescription glasses and cannot wear contacts. You're best bet would be to make them bigger so they would fit over prescription glasses. But then you couldn't wear sunglasses so you would need either a pair of clear HUD glasses and tinted ones, or just the clear with clip on sunglasses. Of course most people would probably be reluctant to wear them outside of the car so they'd still need regular sunglasses and they'd have to switch glasses whenever they got in or out of the car. Then fuss with the clip on part. You'd have to charge them periodically too, what happens when you get in the car and realize your glasses aren't charged? The glasses might be cool but there are way too many moving pieces to make them a viable solution for everyone.

Why would you want multiple pairs of HUD glasses in the car? The only passenger that I ever have that wants to see how fast I'm going is my wife and that is so she can tell me to slow down. I can also see a passenger getting out and leaving with your glasses on too.

13. MorrisonHiker

#113 MorrisonHiker, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    I usually only wear my driving sunglasses in the car so I have no problem removing them and storing them when leaving the car. I have other sunglasses that I use for activities such as cycling or hiking.
    When driving through deer country at night, I'd be grateful for a second set of eyes. It could also be helpful to have someone look towards the rear while the driver is facing forwards. I didn't mean to imply it would be necessary or that common...but would easily allow multiple people to experience AR at once if they wanted.

I mentioned in a previous post that AR glasses could probably be added cheaper than a windshield based HUD. I bet AR glasses could be made for less than $500 each. If they are going to make this standard in the 3 (since there is no IC), then they'll need to keep the costs down. The windshield HUD would require sensors to track the driver's eyes, head, etc. and could be even more expensive than a regular windshield if it needs to be replaced. It's possible AR glasses could be added to existing HW2 cars. I suppose another HUD option would be a glass that is on top of the dashboard instead of displaying on the windshield. It wouldn't be allow nearly as much functionality (such as AR) but could add some virtual gauges and would be a lot cheaper and easier to add than a windshield based HUD/AR system.

Maybe I'm just dreaming but obviously others at Google, BMW, etc. have had the same idea. Maybe someone at Tesla will have similar ideas as well.

Actually, I just saw some demo videos by Visteon and others and it looks like they have some potential AR setups for cars. The next few years will be interesting!

14. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Valid point but most people don't have separate glasses for different activities.

For simple HUD (with no AR) there is no need for eye tracking or anything else. Even with AR I don't think it would be required. I also don't think that HUD hardware would be more than $500, after all, it is simply a projector. I, and every other respondent, think that glasses are not the way to go for the sort of application were talking about. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Either way, we should be finding out in the next month or so.

15. 3Victoria

3Victoria Active Member

• Like x 2
  16. yesup

yesup Member

Actually, the low dashboard makes it less likely to have HUDs. Most current HUDs sit behind the instrument panel "hump". With the low dash and no instrument panel, the HUDs has no where to hide, and it would be too visible to the driver and passenger.

It is much easier to rule out things than predict what Elon has in mind. We can rule out features which are too expensive, too impractical or too premature in technological advance etc.
    But only Elon knows what he meant by spaceship control.

17. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

No, they can be flat and flush with the dash. It doesn't need to hide.

Check out the dark rectangle.

• Like x 2
  18. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Nice!

19. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Binnacle or not, Tesla could build a "hump" specifically for a HUD if it was necessary.

20. yesup

yesup Member

That's exactly what I am talking about.
    A big ugly hole in the dash. Sure, you can put a glass on top, but it is still a glass covered big ugly hole.
    For the Model 3, the dash is lower and the hole would be even more visible.
    Definitely not acceptable aesthetically for Tesla standard.

Of course, they can do that, but it would defeat the purpose and destroy the design language of the low dash.