Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Augmented Reality

If Tesla were to use Augmented Reality in the Model 3 how do you think they would implement it?

• Displayed on the Windshield

• Displayed on Glasses you Wear

• Displayed on the Center Console Screen

• Displayed on Some Other Screen

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a HUD system is the most effective, safest and easiest to implement. Manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW have very detailed HUD with a wide variety of information being displayed and using a full color spectrum.

This thread is not in reference to VR, it is about having an identification of pedestrians, animals, and other things via the vehicles centre console, HUD or other means.

A pair of glasses is not feasible as that would deter many people, look at 3D TVs and their failure due to different types of glasses required, replacing broken glasses, etc.

Thanks! I can see now. It's a head-up display that provides info/warnings to driver.

That should be easy for Tesla to include in its cars.

However, Tesla is progressing toward driverless option so I doubt it would promote such warning system.
As explained in that video the cues are necessary to provide the driver the peace of mind that the car is aware of the dangers and obstructions that they themselves can see. This is especially true during the transition to fully self-driving cars. Until we become comfortable with a car being able to safely drive on it's own we need something to assure us that it's actively working.

Reactions: RobStark
Would you please give an example of Augmented Reality in general
Here's a general example of augmented reality:
fc2998af0a6b9f5688b929958c28d231.jpg

Yellow first down line, blue line of scrimmage, and the large arrows on the field saying "3rd &5"
I'm not a huge sports fan, but I'm definitely a fan of augmented reality.

Perfect example @JeffK

Also, by definition:
Augmented reality
Augmented reality (AR) is a live direct or indirect view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented (or supplemented) by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data. It is related to a more general concept called mediated reality, in which a view of reality is modified (possibly even diminished rather than augmented) by a computer.

Absolutely. AR is being displayed on a camera for all to see.

The major push in the tech industry today is augmented reality directly overlaying real life instead of through a display mirroring real life plus the augmented reality holograms.

Hololens, Magic Leap, etc
Even auto manufacturers demos of augmented reality HUDs etc. are all displaying holograms on clear lenses.

Yes, they could do it through the screen (indirect augmented reality), but then why hire holographic UI designers? Granted, it could be for an unrelated display we don't yet know about but it's certainly not for the center screen.

Last edited:
As explained in that video the cues are necessary to provide the driver the peace of mind that the car is aware of the dangers and obstructions that they themselves can see. This is especially true during the transition to fully self-driving cars. Until we become comfortable with a car being able to safely drive on it's own we need something to assure us that it's actively working.

Exactly. One of the big differentiators between Autopilot and the rest is that Tesla shows what the car is seeing and responding to in the instrument cluster. Without that the user doesn't know what the car is doing and isn't nearly as confident.

An augmented reality HUD is a very logical development for them, which would make it much easier for the user to understand what is happening and when to intervene before we get to true level 5 operation, and should give drivers more confidence even then.

You'll note that Panasonic, Tesla's long term partner on batteries (and other things?) just showed an immersive augmented reality HUD at CES this year.

If Tesla does a HUD for the 3, this is exactly what I'd expect from them - and if they can make the profit margin work, it's just the sort of futuristic technology turning the industry on its ear competitive advantage that I'd expect from them...

Assuming that Tesla is using Augmented Reality in the Model 3 I'd like to know how you think Tesla would implement it.

The only AR implementation which is of use and as seen in concept cars are AR with HUD (windshield).
Glasses are a no go from the start. Requiring people to wear glasses just to drive a Tesla simply won't work.

Yes, you can put AR in the center screen.... but what's the point? There is no use for it even though it is the cheapest to implement.
AR is supposed to seamlessly provide info about the environment while driving without taking the eyes off the road. Since watching the center screen means taking our eyes totally off the road, it really is no use there.

I think the chance of having AR with HUD in Model 3 is close to zero.
Tesla wants Model 3 to be easy to manufacture with readily available parts.
AR in combination with HUD only exists in concept cars, no mass produced cars have one.... Why? Because it is expensive and very difficult to guarantee that it works well with drivers of all sizes.

AR requires wide view HUD (current HUDs aren't wide enough to totally cover a single lane ahead, let alone upcoming ramps etc.) and multiple cameras pointing at the driver to track head and eye position (to correctly overlay AR graphics with driver's line of vision). We don't even have an economically viable wide view HUD in production or in any car!
As for head and eye position tracking - you can just about imagine how difficult and expensive it is to implement (imagine tall driver, short driver, driver who move the seat all the way forward, driver who recline the seat while driving, driver wearing sunglasses, driver wearing dirty glasses.... you get the idea).

Putting an unproven technology with hard to obtain parts which may disrupt production schedule is not wise for Model 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsvick