Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Augmented Vision found in Model X software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
The term Augmented Vision found in Tesla Model S/X software, current Model S/X referred to as legacy:

capture-jpg.226830

AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?

The Augmented Vision is refusing to display an image on current "legacy" vehicles and might some future hardware iteration (such as in Model 3?) to work. Thanks @verygreen for the discovery.

I thought I'd start a thread for it here to not clutter the AP2.0 research thread with speculation.

What do you guys think it might be? Just a debug mode or something perhaps related to Tesla's Augmented Reality hires?

What do you make of current Model S/X referred to as "legacy"?

It's clearly a debug feature.
I speculate it just shows current cameras overlaid with detected objects and other such data.
It appears to require a special developer build of the software, at least on the APE side.

Also it has no connection to the lateral controls - that's just out of context crop somebody did that make it look related.

The term Augmented Vision found in Tesla Model S/X software, current Model S/X referred to as legacy:

capture-jpg.226830

The Augmented Vision is refusing to display an image on current "legacy" vehicles and might some future hardware iteration (such as in Model 3?) to work. Thanks @verygreen for the discovery.

I thought I'd start a thread for it here to not clutter the AP2.0 research thread with speculation.

What do you guys think it might be? Just a debug mode or something perhaps related to Tesla's Augmented Reality hires?

What do you make of current Model S/X referred to as "legacy"?
LAT CTRL I'm almost positive is lateral control. The question is, what is RR CTRL?
Remote Reality control?

Remote Reality is an approach to providing an immersive environment via the use of omni-directional imaging.

• Funny
Reactions: Softwizard

capture-jpg.226830

Also it has no connection to the lateral controls - that's just out of context crop somebody did that make it look related.

To be clear, I agree and know this. I just used a ready-made image to illustrate both points: Augmented Vision and the fact that current Model S/X features are called "legacy".

Last edited:
It's clearly a debug feature.

Of course, however is it a debug feature of future production functionality or merely for testing?

Those Tesla Augmented Reality hires of course keep lingering...

Tesla hires HoloLens designer, second Microsoft employee from the augmented reality program

Mind you, I'm not necessarily talking about HUD. Whatever is being toyed with here could also happen on the big screen.

My 2010 Audi A8 already had instrument cluster screen augmented reality nightvision after all...

LAT CTRL I'm almost positive is lateral control. The question is, what is RR CTRL?
Remote Reality control?
The tab name is "Lateral control", so yes. no idea about RR, but if you switch to it, nothing else seems to change.
To be clear, I agree and know this. I just used a ready-made image to illustrate both points: Augmented Vision and the fact that current Model S/X features are called "legacy".
Oh, the legacy thing is all over APE firmware anyway:
Code:
# ls opt/autopilot/bin/legacy*
opt/autopilot/bin/legacy_vehicle_msr  opt/autopilot/bin/legacy_vehicle_mx

Reactions: NikeWings
Oh, the legacy thing is all over APE firmware anyway:
Code:
# ls opt/autopilot/bin/legacy*
opt/autopilot/bin/legacy_vehicle_msr  opt/autopilot/bin/legacy_vehicle_mx

Yes, so I've understood from the previous reports. Thanks for adding more insight.

I think that could be a significant bit of info.

All the more reason to wait for that Model 3 launch if one is planning a car buy?

The tab name is "Lateral control", so yes. no idea about RR, but if you switch to it, nothing else seems to change.
[/code]
Someone suggested "Road Runner" in the other thread. What if "Road Runner" is a code name for FSD?

@verygreen somewhere you noted that the video logging was labled teslaroadrunner magic?

I know that they've got HW labled Coyote in the vehicle.

Red flags if you stumble upon "acme" in the code

Lol, not this can of worms again?

Is there some reason you think augmented reality would not be plausible on the Model S/X? Or a HUD? Elon said these models would always have the best tech, so Model 3 data isn't relevant here... and I mean, it isn't like HUD is something even your $35,000 ICEs wouldn't have these days as an option, so speculating that Model S/X might get a HUD at some point is, well, automotive normal.

I agree with @verygreen that this is likely the camera overlay that we saw in the FSD videos:

I agree this Augmented Vision may well be the camera overlay we saw and merely a debug function at this stage. But the "legacy" vs. non-legacy stuff is intriguing. What might for example an upgraded (non-legacy...) big display system be capable of, if anything different... It isn't unclear that this is a testing function. What is more interesting is what that testing might tell us about future production features. For example if it means the current central display can or can not display imagery from all APE camera inputs, that limits or expands future potential for current cars and so forth.

(For me the two big things I'm watching given Model 3 launch are the central display system and the charge port... plus the battery cells. Some of these things might be changing during the early launch and ramp-up of Model 3 for other Tesla models as well...)

Did a Google search for "Tesla Augmented Vision" and this was the first thread to pop up.

In the Autonomy day video I recall hearing this mentioned and it is indeed the camera overlay as stated above. Would be pretty cool if they made it a feature. I would definitely use it. Have always wondered what is going on behind the scenes that I cannot see.