Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August 2020 Model Y Post Delivery Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my LR AWD Model Y white/white 19" on Wednesday (8/4 car manufactured in July) and during my walkthrough, I noticed some pretty bad panel gaps, issues with the frunk, the trunk was misaligned, charge port sticks out a lot, the opposite side tailgate is indented in, the rear trim piece was falling off (literally could have pulled the trim piece off), the rear seats did not close when using the button in the trunk they had to be folded down manually.

I was pretty close to rejecting delivery but I figured all of these things were fixable so I took delivery.

It's now been 2 days and after driving around 60 miles I've noticed more issues listed below:
  • The trunk does not fully close / latch all of the time when using the automatic liftgate.
  • Rattling in the driver-side A-pillar when driving 60mph+
  • The electronic release in the rear driver side door does not work. We have an 8-month-old and I went to the backseat to play with him and I wasn't able to open the rear door to exit the car. Ended up rolling the window down and opening it that way.
  • The B pillar is not recognizing either key cards. Was told there is something defective and would need to get the entire thing replaced.
Now at this point, I am pretty sure most of these things can be fixed after multiple service appointments but I just feel really salty after paying $53k for a vehicle to have this many issues. I own a 2016 X and was going to sell it but I ended up cancelling the sale and at this point, I'm most likely going to return the Y to Tesla on Monday. It is my understanding that I would not be able to order the same trim.... and refunds take 4 weeks? I guess I can still order the RWD when it is available. Is there anything else I should know with regard to returning the car?

I took delivery of my LR AWD Model Y white/white 19" on Wednesday (8/4 car manufactured in July) and during my walkthrough, I noticed some pretty bad panel gaps, issues with the frunk, the trunk was misaligned, charge port sticks out a lot, the opposite side tailgate is indented in, the rear trim piece was falling off (literally could have pulled the trim piece off), the rear seats did not close when using the button in the trunk they had to be folded down manually.

I was pretty close to rejecting delivery but I figured all of these things were fixable so I took delivery.

It's now been 2 days and after driving around 60 miles I've noticed more issues listed below:
  • The trunk does not fully close / latch all of the time when using the automatic liftgate.
  • The electronic release in the rear driver side door does not work. We have an 8-month-old and I went to the backseat to play with him and I wasn't able to open the rear door to exit the car. Ended up rolling the window down and opening it that way.
  • The B pillar is not recognizing either key cards. Was told there is something defective and would need to get the entire thing replaced.
Now at this point, I am pretty sure most of these things can be fixed after multiple service appointments but I just feel really salty after paying $53k for a vehicle to have this many issues. I own a 2016 X and was going to sell it but I ended up cancelling the sale and at this point, I'm most likely going to return the Y to Tesla on Monday. It is my understanding that I would not be able to order the same trim.... and refunds take 4 weeks? I guess I can still order the RWD when it is available. Is there anything else I should know with regard to returning the car?

I am still waiting for my refund - returned it on July 6th. So it may take more, many people reporting 2-3 months. You will not be able to order the same trim, but your wife can do that.

I did the same mistake as you did - "I was pretty close to rejecting delivery but I figured all of these things were fixable so I took delivery." - you bought a new car, why should you start fixing it immediately !?

My advice is to return the car. Tesla may or may not fix these things, and even if they do it will likely mean multiple trips to the SC before everything has been satisfactorily resolved.

Last edited: