Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Kentucky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning a trip with most of my family and possibly some friends to see the total solar eclipse in August. The plan is currently set for Kuttawa, KY, where we would spend two nights at the hotel hosting the supercharger and very likely observe it there as well. The drive should be about 14 hours each way including charging. Of course, we'll be keeping a close eye on the weather forecast so we don't go down there to look at clouds.

Is anyone else planning to be in the area for the eclipse or considering it? Any other locations in or near Kentucky you think may be better for a Tesla road trip or gathering to see the eclipse? My dad initially reserved a hotel near Nashville, which I convinced him wouldn't be as good for either the eclipse or charging.

I'll be bringing my Celestron NexStar 127SLT with a homemade solar filter (don't worry, it's safe, using this with cardboard and tape). I'll certainly record the event, though not sure how yet. Likely my phone for the human perspective and maybe a DSLR mounted to my scope, unless I decide to keep the scope available to look through. At the same time, I want to be sure to enjoy the experience without getting caught up in capturing it on camera. I've only seen one partial eclipse (Oct. 23, 2014) and this would be my first total eclipse.

I'm shooting for St. Joseph, MO.

But I'm not sure whether it would be best to just go there or whether to stage in Kansas City and then either go north to St. Joseph or east to Columbia depending on the weather. Unless traffic is horrific, there should be plenty of time for travel the morning of Aug 21. St. Joe is only an hour away and Columbia is 2.

My extended family and I are going to Nashville for the eclipse. I'm on the Model 3 list and only own a Leaf right now, so I rented a Model X for the trip. I found a hotel in nashville with L2 charging within walking distance after much searching.

I'll be bringing the telescopes down for the whole family, so having the X will be nice from a space perspective. I'll be bringing a Lunt60Tha, a Coronado PST, and an 80mm APO with white light filter, all on EQ mounts. Hope to do some photography as well.

Clear skies!
-Jim

Reactions: MMC-
Last edited:
I'd suggest making sure that everybody get 100% charged up the night before the eclipse. We've all got plans on where we are going to view the eclipse, but the clouds might say otherwise. Be prepared to drive, potentially a long way, in order to get clear skies.

-Jim

I'm going to just south of Knoxville, TN for my viewing. Rain or shine!

I'll be in the Knoxville area also for the eclipse. Looking at Marysville or somewhere similar to view the eclipse.

I'm probably going to hang out in Farragut but Lenoir City isn't much further for me.

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Farragut, TN:
Duration of Totality*: 1m 20s
Partial phase start: 1:04:26PM (EDT)
Totality Start*: 2:33:27PM (EDT)
Partial phase end: 4:02:28PM

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Lenoir City, TN:
Duration of Totality*: 2m 2s
Partial phase start: 1:04:17PM (EDT)
Totality Start*: 2:33:02PM (EDT)
Partial phase end: 4:01:xx PM

There is totality for a few seconds on the west Knoxville border (Cedar Bluff to Turkey Creek exits) but you have to leave Knoxville into Farragut at least to get a full minute.

I didn't do the math for maryville because I didn't think the extra miles were worth the hassle (I live just inside the totality line so I could sit on my back porch and catch a few seconds).

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Maryville, TN:
Duration of Totality*: 1m 36s
Partial phase start: 1:04:57PM (EDT)
Totality Start*: 2:33:53PM (EDT)

Last edited:
I'm probably going to hang out in Farragut but Lenoir City isn't much further for me.

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Farragut, TN:
Duration of Totality*: 1m 20s
Partial phase start: 1:04:26PM (EDT)
Totality Start*: 2:33:27PM (EDT)
Partial phase end: 4:02:28PM

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Lenoir City, TN:
Duration of Totality*: 2m 2s
Partial phase start: 1:04:17PM (EDT)
Totality Start*: 2:33:02PM (EDT)
Partial phase end: 4:01:xx PM

There is totality for a few seconds on the west Knoxville border (Cedar Bluff to Turkey Creek exits) but you have to leave Knoxville into Farragut at least to get a full minute.

I didn't do the math for maryville because I didn't think the extra miles were worth the hassle (I live just inside the totality line so I could sit on my back porch and catch a few seconds).

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Maryville, TN:
Duration of Totality*: 1m 36s
Partial phase start: 1:04:57PM (EDT)
Totality Start*: 2:33:53PM (EDT)

Is there a website that calculates this info?

Is there a website that calculates this info?

I'm pulling from Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Communities in Tennessee! but it doesn't show the partial end, you'll have to do the math if you are curious. Still you can manually check a ton of cities to find the longest totality and then manually figure out which one to focus on.

I'd start with looking at http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps/states/TN_web.jpg and pay attention to cities near the blue line. Then compare that to the supercharger map

If I'm reading it right the only supercharger in TN actually between the red lines is Knoxville, so literally at the Knoxville supercharger you'd get almost a minute of totality. And it's a trivial drive west then south if you want more time in totality (you'd have to leave the supercharger well before the eclipse to find a spot in time but the distance to optimal wouldn't be far)

The key takeaway is you want to be southwest or west-northwest of Knoxville not south of it. At least if you are looking at it as a Knoxville native.

If you want to mix NC into it look at http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps/states/NC_web.jpg and Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Communities in North Carolina!

But to me NC would only be interesting if you were coming from southeast of Asheville and didn't want to cross the mountains to get to a TN spot.

Oh and I wrote this assuming you were looking around Knoxville, if you are somewhere else you can start at http://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm and drill down.

Last edited:
USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

I've been using that and it's great. You can click anywhere on the map and get all the data as well as a diagram of what the eclipse would look like for that location.

Exit 56 on I-75 south, south of Knoxville is almost right on the blue line (about half a mile to far south). Has a truck stop with a Wendy's inside.

Exit 60 is about 3 miles north and has hotels/restaurants if you wanted to hang out close but with a larger collection of services.

anywhere north of exit 60 but south of I-40 is decent viewing range should the weather push you slightly north.

Exit 49 is about 7 miles south and has better hotels/restaurants than exits 56 and 60.

-----

coming from Nashville exit 258 is near the blue line, various restaurants. Maybe 20 miles east of Nashville.

Now the question is what makes for a good solar eclipse viewing?

Flat ground?
Top of a hill?
parking lot to have open horizon / avoid trees?

Last edited: