Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August delivery X Long Range initial impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered Tesla Model X 6 seater black on cream with full autonomous capability in May 2021 when having issues with Volvo XC90. Locked in then current price for $100 deposit.
Purchased BMW X5 45e June 2022 thinking X would never show. Traded in XC90 for BMW. (Loved Volvo)
Received notification of X delivery about a week before a extended family vacation in France in late July.
After much go around realizing Tesla was not flexible on delivery date, arranged for a friend appointed as limited POA to take delivery of vehicle. This was a substantial hassle while out of country, but totally worth it. Already had charging arranged for the BMW plug in hybrid, so we were delighted to come home to a fully charged Tesla in our driveway.
We (wife and I) have each had several solo drives, nothing longer than an hour, in the vehicle.
So far we love it.
Mild arguments/discussions over whose primary driver this will be.
Driver experience is quiet, ‘clean’, calming, and extremely enjoyable. Love the green light notifications, the seamless and abundant acceleration, the controls, and the range.
As a passenger I am comfortable, have ample space, and very relaxed.
The captains chairs in the back are luxurious, and we all (family of 4) look forward to family trips.
After I figured out how to fold in the 3rd row I find the storage space abundant. Frunk is cool.
Love the app. Have more to learn, i.e. trip planning from app would be nice…probably there but don’t know how to do it.
We live in a rural setting with scarce super chargers, and many of our destinations are also rural. Real life range anxiety will be interesting. Will report back.

We have multiple vehicles, and do not ‘need’ the X, and I had called to cancel delivery upon taking delivery of the BMW (purchased as Volvo service issues became cost prohibitive…a vehicle that we loved, BTW…2016 XC90 was intended to be a 200k+ vehicle, BUT we bought one of the first models before kinks worked out, and thought best to part early) but found that our locked in price was 35k below current asking price. Took delivery thinking worst case was drive for a while, then part with a profit. After driving for 3 days highly inclined to keep vehicle and have as primary for the next 8-10 years.
X5 is a GREAT plug-in-hybrid, qualified for tax credit, and very comfortable, but more in line with size of Y than X. We all prefer the X to the BMW.
Am loyal to our 2015 manual Audi S4, but find driver assist safety features attractive for sometimes distracted busy professional.
2016 Toyota Tacoma long bed 4 door is utility vehicle for outdoors activities and chores. It’s nearly perfect without any maintenance issues or service.
Primary motivation for hybrids and EV is
1. reduced emissions (chose renewable power sources through electrical provider)
2. Safety features
3. Perceived overall cost of ownership/financial value
4. Neither of us like going to gas stations to fuel our vehicles. Home charge is great.

Good info and wow, that’s a lot of cars. I always like hearing the reasons people like their EVs. I was thinking about this yesterday as someone asked me if I bought my Tesla to save money on gas. Not going to lie, saving a ton of money on gas is more of a side benefit of owning an EV. I think My biggest reason i prefer EVs is the convenience of home charging and less maintenance. Also efficiency as I hate waste. But mostly because I am lazy and home charging is so convenient compared to going to gas stations that always seem to happen when i am late for something or it’s freezing cold out with 30mph winds.

Reactions: BogeyGofler22
Ordered Tesla Model X 6 seater black on cream with full autonomous capability in May 2021 when having issues with Volvo XC90. Locked in then current price for $100 deposit.
Purchased BMW X5 45e June 2022 thinking X would never show. Traded in XC90 for BMW. (Loved Volvo)
Received notification of X delivery about a week before a extended family vacation in France in late July.
After much go around realizing Tesla was not flexible on delivery date, arranged for a friend appointed as limited POA to take delivery of vehicle. This was a substantial hassle while out of country, but totally worth it. Already had charging arranged for the BMW plug in hybrid, so we were delighted to come home to a fully charged Tesla in our driveway.
We (wife and I) have each had several solo drives, nothing longer than an hour, in the vehicle.
So far we love it.
Mild arguments/discussions over whose primary driver this will be.
Driver experience is quiet, ‘clean’, calming, and extremely enjoyable. Love the green light notifications, the seamless and abundant acceleration, the controls, and the range.
As a passenger I am comfortable, have ample space, and very relaxed.
The captains chairs in the back are luxurious, and we all (family of 4) look forward to family trips.
After I figured out how to fold in the 3rd row I find the storage space abundant. Frunk is cool.
Love the app. Have more to learn, i.e. trip planning from app would be nice…probably there but don’t know how to do it.
We live in a rural setting with scarce super chargers, and many of our destinations are also rural. Real life range anxiety will be interesting. Will report back.

We have multiple vehicles, and do not ‘need’ the X, and I had called to cancel delivery upon taking delivery of the BMW (purchased as Volvo service issues became cost prohibitive…a vehicle that we loved, BTW…2016 XC90 was intended to be a 200k+ vehicle, BUT we bought one of the first models before kinks worked out, and thought best to part early) but found that our locked in price was 35k below current asking price. Took delivery thinking worst case was drive for a while, then part with a profit. After driving for 3 days highly inclined to keep vehicle and have as primary for the next 8-10 years.
X5 is a GREAT plug-in-hybrid, qualified for tax credit, and very comfortable, but more in line with size of Y than X. We all prefer the X to the BMW.
Am loyal to our 2015 manual Audi S4, but find driver assist safety features attractive for sometimes distracted busy professional.
2016 Toyota Tacoma long bed 4 door is utility vehicle for outdoors activities and chores. It’s nearly perfect without any maintenance issues or service.
Primary motivation for hybrids and EV is
1. reduced emissions (chose renewable power sources through electrical provider)
2. Safety features
3. Perceived overall cost of ownership/financial value
4. Neither of us like going to gas stations to fuel our vehicles. Home charge is great.

Would be great to hear more of a comparison between the X and the BMW plug-in.

I first wanted to thank you for such a positive post both for your honest review and your detailed experience. This type of post with experience that goes beyond Tesla is of great value and I wish TMC members would follow your lead and post more positive, informative post such as what you have provided. I had three MB S Class vehicles before buying the 2017 MX 100D. After just a few drives the MX became our preferred vehicle and the MB S550 just sat in the garage. I got rid of the MB in 2018 and replaced it with a 2018 Performance M3. To this day the MX is our preferred road trip vehicle and M3 is used for short drives for daily chores. Home has solar so home charging provides free electric for 95% of my driving. This alone saves me $5,800 annual gas bill I had before getting rid of both ICE vehicles (This annual expense was when price average $3.69 a gallon, now it is $5.99 in our area.) I ordered a new 2023 MX in June that shows estimated delivery of April - July 2023 so they are still taking 10- 13 months for deliveries. The 2017 MX is still the most perfect vehicle I have ever owned so I'm in no hurry. Thank you again for such a great post. Look forward to seeing more balanced information from you on TMC.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: geometro
What issues did you have with your XC90? We are looking at (and loved) the XC60.
In ‘16 and early ‘17 they used low resistance piston rings, and around 80k the Volvo started burning oil. After working with the dealer and corporate, they ended up repairing this at Volvo’s expense, which was awesome. At 103k we had a sensor alert which turned out to be a leak, which we eventually isolated to the super charger, a $2500ish repair (to replace the gasket). At that point I called the service manager and asked him what else was in store, he rattled off a reasonable list, and including the supercharger repair it was going to amount two around 8k over 12-24 months.
We loved the Volvo, and I understand that mid year 2017 and after most of these issues have been resolved. But it was time for us to move on.
Great car. We miss it.

Would be great to hear more of a comparison between the X and the BMW plug-in.
Sure thing! Note, the x has been with us only a week, so this will be updated down the road a bit.
X is larger, smoother, spartan-lux, and the captains chairs are pretty amazing for passengers. Excellent for moving people, and I’m looking forward to a trip with adult friends.
Tesla allows two drivers to utilize the app, so both my wife and I can easily operate the vehicle controls via our phones. Storage with the 3rd row down seems much larger, and with the 3rd row up and creative packing, utilizing the frunk, still good room.
BMW has all bells and whistles other than M package (82-83k?) and is exceptionally comfortable for driver and passenger, slightly tighter in rear seat, and of course, no third row.
Probably not the best comparison with size, and the X would be more in line with the X7, or pick your large SUV. Fit and finish is excellent in both vehicles (have not noticed any flaws with either yet…I had expected issues with X from reading other posts) and BMW feels a bit more sporty…not better, just different.
Have had a tech issue with the NAV on the BMW which is scheduled for repair later this week. Rear window shades are nice, and while getting to know the supercharger network I feel comfortable being able to use gas when battery runs low.
Auto-drive is good in both. Extra features in BMW, like massaging seats, leg extension in front seats are nice.
BMW has a lot more buttons, and is a different user experience than the X. Will take some getting used to mostly screen controls. Don’t worry about me: I’m up to the challenge :)
We feel so fortunate to have these two vehicles in our fleet, and I consider them both ‘best in class’.
Hope this helps.

Sure thing! Note, the x has been with us only a week, so this will be updated down the road a bit.
X is larger, smoother, spartan-lux, and the captains chairs are pretty amazing for passengers. Excellent for moving people, and I’m looking forward to a trip with adult friends.
Tesla allows two drivers to utilize the app, so both my wife and I can easily operate the vehicle controls via our phones. Storage with the 3rd row down seems much larger, and with the 3rd row up and creative packing, utilizing the frunk, still good room.
BMW has all bells and whistles other than M package (82-83k?) and is exceptionally comfortable for driver and passenger, slightly tighter in rear seat, and of course, no third row.
Probably not the best comparison with size, and the X would be more in line with the X7, or pick your large SUV. Fit and finish is excellent in both vehicles (have not noticed any flaws with either yet…I had expected issues with X from reading other posts) and BMW feels a bit more sporty…not better, just different.
Have had a tech issue with the NAV on the BMW which is scheduled for repair later this week. Rear window shades are nice, and while getting to know the supercharger network I feel comfortable being able to use gas when battery runs low.
Auto-drive is good in both. Extra features in BMW, like massaging seats, leg extension in front seats are nice.
BMW has a lot more buttons, and is a different user experience than the X. Will take some getting used to mostly screen controls. Don’t worry about me: I’m up to the challenge :)
We feel so fortunate to have these two vehicles in our fleet, and I consider them both ‘best in class’.
Hope this helps.
Tesla connects to our home WiFi network. BMW is cellular only for updates. We live in a rural setting, so this slows down updates.
Looking at vehicles side by side, they look about the same (Tesla X wheelbase is 116.7 inches, length is 198.3, and BMW is 117.1 wheelbase and 194.3 overall length). Replacing a motor with a frunk sure does increase interior room by what feels like a lot more than 4 inches!
Tesla feels like driving a spaceship/computer.
BMW feels like driving a highly refined car/SUV.

Tesla connects to our home WiFi network. BMW is cellular only for updates. We live in a rural setting, so this slows down updates.
Looking at vehicles side by side, they look about the same (Tesla X wheelbase is 116.7 inches, length is 198.3, and BMW is 117.1 wheelbase and 194.3 overall length). Replacing a motor with a frunk sure does increase interior room by what feels like a lot more than 4 inches!
Tesla feels like driving a spaceship/computer.
BMW feels like driving a highly refined car/SUV.
Thanks… very helpful.
Another reviewer mentioned that the X5 is noticeably quieter than the Tesla (which makes it feel more luxe).

Looking forward to further updates from you!