Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordering the same car today and having to wait for 11 months is irrelevant for those who are patiently waiting for their cars and wondering why they are getting jerked around.

Many of the September order dates have already received VINs and taken delivery. A guy who ordered a MYLR in October (similar config) six months after me, was celebrating his VIN yesterday. Good for him. Meanwhile, a guy who ordered and completed his profile a full month before me is still waiting and was just pushed back again. There is little rhyme or reason, and certainly no explanation from the company.
Not irrelevant as it illustrates the sheer volume of orders that are being fulfilled. Couple the order books with supply chain issues like shortages across multiple key categories (rubber, silicon, transportation, etc…) and you have a recipe for slow fulfillment.

Logistics will seek the most efficient way to fill orders, not necessarily the most chronological as there are many demands that influence when a car can go from production to individual customer orders.

And Tesla is not going to bother with orders that don’t have a complete profile, as they may as well not count. And they aren’t going to chase them down to finish their profile.

You can’t force someone to buy a car. So if they don’t have a payment method or some other key piece of data in the order…that’s not a serious/ready to buy order. They can’t read your mind. And they can’t force you to keep an order if you can’t buy it when your number is up. So until someone tells them they are ready and completes the information needed, they will not put that order into the books.

Not irrelevant as it illustrates the sheer volume of orders that are being fulfilled. Couple the order books with supply chain issues like shortages across multiple key categories (rubber, silicon, transportation, etc…) and you have a recipe for slow fulfillment.

Logistics will seek the most efficient way to fill orders, not necessarily the most chronological as there are many demands that influence when a car can go from production to individual customer orders.

And Tesla is not going to bother with orders that don’t have a complete profile, as they may as well not count. And they aren’t going to chase them down to finish their profile.

You can’t force someone to buy a car. So if they don’t have a payment method or some other key piece of data in the order…that’s not a serious order. They can’t read your mind. And they can’t force you to keep an order if you can’t buy it when your number is up. So until someone tells them they are ready and completes the information needed, they will not put that order into the books.
Agreed. All of the order date changes boil down to one word: logistics, and they tell you that from the very beginning.

I do wish they were more transparent about what constitutes order completion and whether changing payment type later boots you out of line or not.

Ultimately, however, we just have to be patient.

You can’t force someone to buy a car. So if they don’t have a payment method or some other key piece of data in the order…that’s not a serious/ready to buy order. They can’t read your mind. And they can’t force you to keep an order if you can’t buy it when your number is up. So until someone tells them they are ready and completes the information needed, they will not put that order into the books.
BUT, without reading this forum, how do you know its a requirement to finish Profile? Who knew payment method is part of a profile? To me, when I get charged an order fee on my CC, I assumed order was submitted and I was in queue. SA in a Tesla SC walked me through the Order part, but was not clear on "Pre-Delivery" tasks.

BUT, without reading this forum, how do you know its a requirement to finish Profile? Who knew payment method is part of a profile? To me, when I get charged an order fee on my CC, I assumed order was submitted and I was in queue. SA in a Tesla SC walked me through the Order part, but was not clear on "Pre-Delivery" tasks.
I did not read this forum when I placed my order. I called and asked customer support while I was ordering.

I wanted to know how to set up my profile since I knew the timeframe for delivery was far longer than any credit apps are open for. So I didn’t think I should set it for financing as I didn’t want to apply and hadn’t shopped rates, so I couldn’t give them a third party lender. They said to set it as cash and to call and change it once I had a VIN.

So, straight from Tesla I got the information I needed to get my order into the books…by asking them. If you have questions at any point during the process…that is what support agents are there to assist with. But at a minimum, if you are asked for information as part of the process, not providing the information is never going to be the right answer.

I did not read this forum when I placed my order. I called and asked customer support while I was ordering.

I wanted to know how to set up my profile since I knew the timeframe for delivery was far longer than any credit apps are open for. So I didn’t think I should set it for financing as I didn’t want to apply and hadn’t shopped rates, so I couldn’t give them a third party lender. They said to set it as cash and to call and change it once I had a VIN.

So, straight from Tesla I got the information I needed to get my order into the books…by asking them. If you have questions at any point during the process…that is what support agents are there to assist with. But at a minimum, if you are asked for information as part of the process, not providing the information is never going to be the right answer.
What tripped me up I think was the Sept EDD (for my August 22 order) that showed up September 4. An EDD of 9/14 IIRC. THAT's when I entered the trade in information. Which had I known what I know now, I would never have done without a VIN. I am even hesitant to put it in WITH a VIN and a Delivery appointment, because I have seen how those can vanish.

That should be clear from the beginning. Cash until you see a VIN. :D

Reactions: BGOwner

Three comments:

First, you are still wrong. An order placed in December of 22 is irrelevant to the people who ordered in August or September. Demand is strong, but the new orders should be way down the list that you say exists. The gap between now and then is substantial.

Second, the supply shortages you mention may indeed be valid, but all of the things you mentioned apply to all cars, regardless of order date.

Third, Tesla doesn't tell people that their order won't be complete without certain information. I knew about it only because I read about it here from others who learned the hard way. Consequently, my order date and profile completion date are the same. Saying people who didn't understand Tesla's unclear process are not "serious" is rather tone deaf. Plenty of people didn't understand that their order would be in limbo.

First, you are still wrong. An order placed in December of 22 is irrelevant to the people who ordered in August or September. Demand is strong, but the new orders should be way down the list that you say exists. The gap between now and then is substantial.

Second, the supply shortages you mention may indeed be valid, but all of the things you mentioned apply to all cars, regardless of order date.

Third, Tesla doesn't tell people that their order won't be complete without certain information. I knew about it only because I read about it here from others who learned the hard way. Consequently, my order date and profile completion date are the same. Saying people who didn't understand Tesla's unclear process are not "serious" is rather tone deaf. Plenty of people didn't understand that their order would be in limbo.
If I am wrong…then why don’t they have their cars?

I get the frustration. But your having said that I’m wrong doesn’t actually make anything I said incorrect.

You/they want to be mad at Tesla, fair. But they also should be upset with themselves for not ensuring they had taken every necessary step to avoid delays.

It’s easy to blame someone else for your inconveniences, but much hard to recognize the part you played in inconveniencing yourself by not educating yourself or fully taking responsibility for your role in the ordering process

Another example of this phenomenon. You left home late and are running late to work. And there is a traffic jam. It’s easy to be mad at the traffic, or the rubberneckers. But not as easy to recognize you are to blame for being late by not being responsible enough to leave yourself enough time to get to work on time.

Last edited:
Agreed. All of the order date changes boil down to one word: logistics, and they tell you that from the very beginning.

I do wish they were more transparent about what constitutes order completion and whether changing payment type later boots you out of line or not.

Ultimately, however, we just have to be patient.
I preface this with I am writing this now on the other side: I remember the utter frustration of opening up the app and the EDD being changed for the 9th, 12th or 14th time. Having never spoken to any SA (I never received any text messages, and the only emails were after I received my VIN) I was beyond frustrated. This forum was one of the main things keeping me from pulling my hair out. There is no rhyme or reason to what we see, and some communication would be much better; however, except for a very few with really good SAs (and I mean a very few) most of the communication we heard about was either the same that we, on this forum knew, less than we knew or BS to get the person off of the phone or out of the store. So communication can also increase frustrations. Know the average time from order to delivery 111 days. That means there are going to be some who get it relatively quickly, and others who are going to be waiting for what feels like forever. Unfortunately, those of us who waited 5-6 months were those unlucky ones. Supply issues are hitting everyone, and as such Tesla is filling the orders it can fill. I tried to remind myself of this every time someone who ordered after me received their VIN while I continued to wait. It is not an easy thing to do. But, if you are like most of us, when it does finally arrive you will love it. Be as patient as you can.

If I am wrong…then why don’t you have your car?

I get the frustration. But your having said that I’m wrong doesn’t actually make anything I said incorrect.

You want to be mad at Tesla, fair. But you also should be upset with yourself for not ensuring you had taken every necessary step to avoid delays.
You really aren't listening. I'm not at all upset with myself. I understood the process and did everything necessary to avoid delays, including completing all the information required in the profile at the same time I placed the order: selected cash, scanned my insurance information and drivers license, everything. I knew how to do it because of people on this forum who had bad experiences. Tesla could explain that with a few sentences, but they don't bother.

So I have no reason to be upset with myself. Wrong again.

Three comments:

For your second point you have to remember that while the supply shortage does exist for all cars, it doesn't exist equally for all the things needed for all cars. Colors, wheels, tow hitches, 7 seats, all may be affected differently. I also had to realize that my config choice (according to what I see in my area...not California and according to the spreadsheet) was one of the least chosen exterior colors. As such, less reason for Tesla to prioritize that color in batches when they made cars, a possible reason for my long wait.
For your third point, this is another thing down to communication. There are some who spoke to people at Tesla who were not given full information at ordering, which delayed their deliveries further. Communication should be universal, I agree; however, we also know there are some people who are good at their job, and some who just show up. Tesla can't control that.

You really aren't listening. I'm not at all upset with myself. I understood the process and did everything necessary to avoid delays, including completing all the information required in the profile at the same time I placed the order: selected cash, scanned my insurance information and drivers license, everything. I knew how to do it because of people on this forum who had bad experiences. Tesla could explain that with a few sentences, but they don't bother.

So I have no reason to be upset with myself. Wrong again.
You should notice my already revised post, as I realized you already had your car - even though you didn’t clarify.

I changed the pronouns to accurately reflect the position, without any personal bias towards yourself.

Edit: you haven’t gotten your vehicle yet. Posting on mobile and can’t see signatures.

Last edited:
You should notice my already revised post, as I realized you already had your car - even though you didn’t clarify.

I changed the pronouns to accurately reflect the position, without any personal bias towards yourself.
I don't have my car. If I had my car, or a VIN, or had not had six different EDD windows shot out from under me while in them, I might feel differently.

But thank you for changing the pronouns.

Friends who have taken delivery of their cars... I got my VIN last sunday and scheduled delivery for next monday 2/28. Two questions, how many days before delivery was it when the delivery center reached out to you to give you any directions/paperwork and how many days before delivery was it when you sent your plaid payment? Picking up on Monday, I'm wondering if I need to send the plaid payment soon so that the banks have to time to process it. Thanks!

Friends who have taken delivery of their cars... I got my VIN last sunday and scheduled delivery for next monday 2/28. Two questions, how many days before delivery was it when the delivery center reached out to you to give you any directions/paperwork and how many days before delivery was it when you sent your plaid payment? Picking up on Monday, I'm wondering if I need to send the plaid payment soon so that the banks have to time to process it. Thanks!
I didn't send my Plaid payment until I had inspected the car on my delivery day (I inspected it for about 45 min too). They may or may not reach out to you (they did not reach out to me). The app should show you the paperwork you still need (depending on your payment method).

I didn't send my Plaid payment until I had inspected the car on my delivery day (I inspected it for about 45 min too). They may or may not reach out to you (they did not reach out to me). The app should show you the paperwork you still need (depending on your payment method).
They haven't contacted me about it either. Pick up is currently scheduled for Saturday. I am going to drive down there with a printout of my Dealer Funding Request form from USAA and my trade in Subaru and hand them over when I've inspected the vehicle, I guess. If they do contact me I would have no problem sending them the DFR earlier if they ask.

Edit: you haven’t gotten your vehicle yet. Posting on mobile and can’t see signatures.
On mobile, turn your phone landscape to see signatures.

According to @thecavalry you must not be a serious buyer because you can't figure what what Tesla needs all on your own, despite them not (clearly?) telling you 😜

Or maybe Tesla isn't serious about selling cars since they don't care to tell you what you need to do (or do it in a clear manner??). I can't keep it straight anymore. 🤷‍♂️ 😜

Celebrating 200 days since my order, with a current EDD that changed overnight to "June". Yippie. It's probably my fault since Telsa can't be bothered to tell me anything. Can't wait for interest rates to start going up since I've been waiting for so long. Double yippie. 🤪

MYLR7, msm/black, 20", tow. No FSD.

According to @thecavalry you must not be a serious buyer because you can't figure what what Tesla needs all on your own, despite them not (clearly?) telling you 😜

Or maybe Tesla isn't serious about selling cars since they don't care to tell you what you need to do (or do it in a clear manner??). I can't keep it straight anymore. 🤷‍♂️ 😜

Celebrating 200 days since my order, with a current EDD that changed overnight to "June". Yippie. It's probably my fault since Telsa can't be bothered to tell me anything. Can't wait for interest rates to start going up since I've been waiting for so long. Double yippie. 🤪

MYLR7, msm/black, 20", tow. No FSD.
Selecting cash/loan/lease or finalizing trade-in vs leaving it blank for a month/indeterminant period of time is different than deciding when to submit a final payment for purchase.

Being a 7 seater, it isn’t too unbelievable to assume there is a production delay, as you are not the only 7 seater in limbo right now. Plus you have a less common (more complicated) purchase being military and purchasing in a different state than where you pick-up, and both of those states are also different than where you live.

Last edited:
Selecting cash/loan/lease or finalizing trade-in vs leaving it blank for a month/indeterminant period of time is different than deciding when to submit a final payment for purchase.

Being a 7 seater, it isn’t too unbelievable to assume there is a production delay, as you are not the only 7 seater in limbo right now. Plus you have a less common (more complicated) purchase being military and purchasing in a different state than where you pick-up, and both of those states are also different than where you live.
It would only be more complicated if Tesla did anything about it ahead of time. It's actually no different to them until it shows up at the delivery center. I'm hoping Patrick was able to get some more grease on the complication wheels though.

We'll see, some day, probably when it's most inconvenient for me, as Murphy would have it.