Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August/September VIN Notifications and Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys have me worried. I am 200 miles from my delivery center, so they are delivering to my house via a contract carrier. I am concerned about these alignments and QC issues. I think I would rather go down to my delivery center, but my SA only seems to communicate to me and not with me. She has not answered emails or text messages.

Think I should drive to my delivery center? I just got my VIN tonight from an 8/26 order.

Reactions: CO_MY
Got a text today that our Sep-10 is now Sep-4 (Fri). Same VIN. Build date is Aug 21st. Devon PA.

Tesla rep said lots of people are checking things over and pointing out gaps that are a measured few millimeters. They take photos and answer everything, but he suspects the Internet is bringing out everyone's OCD. He also acknowledged that a month or two back things were a mess and that now is much much better.

Will let you all know the results of my OCD session ;)
IMO, they have only themselves to blame for that. Had things just been a little off, yes, some would have found issue. There were checklists even back in 2013 when I got my S. But the shocking condition of some of the vehicles they now try to deliver, and subsequent refusal to fix issues definitively present at delivery once service is scheduled past the end of the return window, has led to an apparently noticeably-large portion of their customer base going in paranoid looking for every flaw.

Plus the "few months ago" was EOQ, which is coming back up. So if history is any indication, the rep should start preparing for another mess.

Anyone know if Tesla financing app has to be completed before a vin is assigned? I don’t want to complete the application just in case deliveries get delayed.

As long as you place order then it will likely be shipped within that timeframe. It's better to complete the lease/finance application soon because VIN can be assigned quickly depending on inventory. I got my VIN within 2 business days.

You guys have me worried. I am 200 miles from my delivery center, so they are delivering to my house via a contract carrier. I am concerned about these alignments and QC issues. I think I would rather go down to my delivery center, but my SA only seems to communicate to me and not with me. She has not answered emails or text messages.

Think I should drive to my delivery center? I just got my VIN tonight from an 8/26 order.
I have the same concerns/problem. Go pick it up, be able to look at it, and reject if need be or happily drive it home (many hours but still...). Not to mention withhold payment until I confirm it passes the initial reject tests. Vs have them deliver to me, possibly have better QC due to delivery (or so others have mentioned), but likely have to submit payment before they drive it to me? (and then have my money be stuck with them if I do reject/return), and rely on the app for repairs if needed or return if very bad and then be ineligible for a new one.

I don't know what to do! I'm being very hopeful and optimistic with my family but internally terrified that production quality and other issues will leave me with an expensive car with big problems.

and Preorder 1/20
Delayed delivery 3/20
Finalized order 7/31
Finally thought about finalizing paperwork 8/14 ....waiting

picked my MY up yesterday
Ordered: 01/20
deferred delivery because of COVID-19: 03/20
07/20: told Tesla September and add tow hitch
picked up yesterday in Cincinnati Ohio
Midnight Silver
Performance
19" wheels (too many pot holes around here)
VIN: 39xxx
no problems except IPhone app will not connect with car
IT is working on it
panel gaps and everything else looks great
they did clean off some tree sap
car is awesome
it is stupid fast

Reactions: LicenseToDrive
I ordered August 4th, got the standard 3-6 week email. Last Tuesday I got a 2-4 week email. Yesterday, I didn't get anything, so I emailed my sales rep to she if she had any information. She emailed me back saying I have a VIN and it's on it's way to the Delivery Centre in Calgary. Tentative appointment for September 5th at noon! AWD Deep Metallic Blue, Gemini wheels, black and white interior and full self drive. VIN 445xx. Didn't get the build date.

I ordered in July and still, no VIN assigned. So I just had a chat with the Tesla chat and I was told that the VIN has been assigned and the MY is on its way to the pickup location Once it arrives and goes through the service center, they will text me with the VIN and then I should be able to schedule for the pickup. When I asked him to provide me the VIN, he said that I have to wait for the text/email.

Has anyone got into a similar situation?

Something to keep in mind about panel gaps. In his MY team down, Sandy Munro mentioned 4mm as the spec/standard he was measuring against. This matches with some reading I did which mentioned the Standard measurement spec/standard is 1/8-3/16".

On the BMW X3 I'm replacing for the MY, the median panel gap is 4.5mm. Personally, I'll only become concerned in the gaps when they're noticeably inconsistent (more than +1.5 or 2mm) or exceed 5.5/6mm.

Just context for how I've thought about navigating the 'spec' conversation, if necessary.

LR MY, midnight silver, B&W, FSD, tow hitch
ordered 8/25
received text today :
Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model Y to be ready for delivery 1 - 3 weeks from today. We'll continue to provide updates as your estimated timing gets closer.

should I expect VIN soon ?

Reactions: Holgerson
LR MY, midnight silver, B&W, FSD, tow hitch
ordered 8/25
received text today :
Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model Y to be ready for delivery 1 - 3 weeks from today. We'll continue to provide updates as your estimated timing gets closer.

should I expect VIN soon ?
Yes, very soon... like in 1-3 weeks. LOL. I got the same text last Tuesday (8/26), no update yet. Chat with the CS on tesla website.

• Funny
Reactions: Janene