Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auropilot randomly kicking me out w/msg: Autosteer Unavailable for rest of the trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my car just 3 days ago and am having this weird issue
On my drive back from Cincinnati to Kentucky, the car kicked me out of autopilot 3 times.
Had a 235 miles trip to Paducah KY and was kicked out of autopilot 5 times for no reason at all. It happens randomly and without any warning I get the red steering wheel icon asking me to take control immediately and autosteer unavailable for rest of the trip. I've noticed it happens after every 20-30 miles or more. It's extremely frustrating because I've seen a thread about it back in 2018 but no solution was posted.

Anyone knows what in the world is going on here. This isn't my first tesla either and I am aware of how to use the autopilot. Extremely frustrated with this

Can someone offer any help? Please ....

It only does that if you don’t have pressure on the steering wheel for extended periods of time. It’ll also do that if you exceed 90? 95?mph while in AP.

To reset it, simple pull over and park the car for a second and then resume the trip.
I have been pulling over and parking to reset it but it is getting ridiculous. I keep my hand on lower left of the steering wheel at all times and after the first two times I kept both hands on the wheel but no bueno.
Each time it was random and with no warning at all.

You really need to give more details for anyone to have an idea of where to start, I dont think anyone wants to dig through your post history to get some basic information. You said you picked you car up 3 days ago... for what? What type of Model S do you have? Approx Mileage? AP version, MCU version? Weather/road conditions?

Double-checking: are you getting the display indicator requesting you apply torque to the wheel?
Hey! Yes, I am getting the display indicator asking to apply torque but it is kinda weird. It'll be working fine for several miles and then out of no where I'll get a steering icon with red hands and a beep and I'll apply torque on steering for it to go away and all will be good. After several minutes I randomly get autosteer unavailable for rest of the trip notification.

Talked to customer service and they said they'll get back to me regarding this issue since it might be something mobile service would want to look into on person. I'm bummed out because I'm seeing them ignoring customers a lot more now due to Model 3 and Y volume. It used to be very simple and easy to schedule a service appointment and even mobile service apt but now they are trying to make customers drive to the nearest service center for all issues which happens to be 332 miles from where I am right now

I have been pulling over and parking to reset it but it is getting ridiculous. I keep my hand on lower left of the steering wheel at all times and after the first two times I kept both hands on the wheel but no bueno.
Each time it was random and with no warning at all.
It's really not about keeping your hands on the steering wheel, or gripping the steering wheel more tightly.

It has to feel you're trying to turn the steering wheel, not strong enough to break it out of autopilot, but enough rotational pressure that it can tell you're there.

Alternatively you can fiddle with the radio volume a few times a minute. I prefer that because I don't like pushing the steering wheel in a direction I don't really want to go.

You really need to give more details for anyone to have an idea of where to start, I dont think anyone wants to dig through your post history to get some basic information. You said you picked you car up 3 days ago... for what? What type of Model S do you have? Approx Mileage? AP version, MCU version? Weather/road conditions?
Here is the info:
2020 Tesla Model S - test drive unit with under 2k miles on it
Performance
Updated software 2020.40.4
Newest MCU
Clear Weather

It's really not about keeping your hands on the steering wheel, or gripping the steering wheel more tightly.

It has to feel you're trying to turn the steering wheel, not strong enough to break it out of autopilot, but enough rotational pressure that it can tell you're there.

Alternatively you can fiddle with the radio volume. I prefer that because I don't like pushing the steering wheel in a direction I don't really want to go.

Yeah, I know that. That was my preferred way to deal with autopilot in Model 3 but in Model S i wanted to be more careful especially after getting kicked out the first time. But nothing seems to work. Hopefully Tesla can figure something out

I get kicked out at the same place daily. It's a terrible intersection. There is a traffic light at a parking lot off a main road. The traffic light is waaaay back past the intersection. Car always kicks me out.

But, for me it's only at that spot (and one other odd condition up the street) and I never have to pull over.

I don't think this is your problem, unless your also getting kicked out at the same spot all the time?