TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aussie 60 Minutes shows off possible new tesla rims

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ekhozindar, Jul 26, 2015.

1. ekhozindar

ekhozindar Member

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Hard to tell, looks a bit small. Aerodynamics isn't my field, but it also had ridges which doesn't seem, to me, to be aerodynamic.

3. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Does it bother anyone else that they might still be doing clay modeling of the Model X? Or maybe that guys was messing with an old model just for effect?

Maybe the partially finished model that is 2nd from the right is an early Model 3?

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

5. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Not just rims, but spokes and center hubs too!

(Sorry, pet peeve - it's a wheel. A "rim" is just the hoop around the circumference.)

6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

7. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    This one is entirely different. Try to reload it. I am not in the US but it loaded easily enough for me.

8. ecarfan

#8 ecarfan, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Finally got it to load and watched it. (Yes it is a new piece, not recycled from the 2014 piece shown in the US). I didn't learn anything new (except that two Australian guys are involved in the Tesla Hawthorne Design Studio building clay models of new car designs, wow do they have a great job!) but it was still a lot of fun to watch. Much of the piece was older stock footage, the interview was of course recently done.
    The clay model shown partially exposed in the Tesla Hawthorne Design Studio is a Model X. The piece was likely filmed months ago so the X design was still being finalized.

9. Matteo

Matteo Member

No this is very recent. In the video when talking about the recent SpaceX failure it said last month. Therefore this video was made this month.

I think the video doesn't work from the USA. When I tried to simulate a USA connection it didn't work. To watch it, you can download the browser add-on ZenMate and change location to Germany. I use ZenMate for Netflix. It works great.
    ZenMate for Google Chrome
    ZenMate for Firefox

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I have a VPN service which has a couple of servers in Australia.

11. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I had no problem with watching the video here in the US.

I think the interview was filmed a couple months ago, then afterwards they edited in the SpaceX failure when it happened.

12. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

It is absolutely breathtaking what the good folks at Tesla and SpaceX have accomplished in just a decade. My appreciation goes out to the scientists and engineers who make these awesome geeky things possible, and to the production, customer service and back office employees who keep it running and thrill customers every day.

Very happy to support this with my purchasing power.

13. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

Agree with you, not much new to learn in that footage. TMCers are usually ahead of TV shows regarding their Tesla information level.

Piece like that in a show like 60 Minutes is unlikely to break news, but may increase public awareness of the company and its product.

The relevance of the story of two Australian guys that used to work for local car manufacturers and now work for Tesla might be difficult to understand without the local context. There is an endless one way jobs outflow from Australia to offshore, hence 2 guys managing to stay in their line of work despite car industry local disappearance is a "feel good" and "there is hope" story.

14. Smallfootprint

New nosecone in Australian 60 minutes segment?

It looks like there might be a new nosecone for model S visible in the background of the 60 minutes interview? An experiment or a forthcoming style refresh?
    Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 8.02.53 PM.png

15. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

#15 drinkerofkoolaid, Jul 26, 2015
    The clay Model of the (Model 3?) is something new.

Also, Elon reminded people that the Model S, an electric vehicle, is regarded by the most difficult critics in the world as the best car. Not really new information for those who already know it, but I think a lot of viewers will remember this part. It's possible the question, and Elon's response made a few people question why they own a gasoline vehicle?

Maybe Elon can encourage Australia, "cough" Abbott to get with the reality?
    :rolleyes:

Australian Prime Minister Says Repealing The Carbon Tax Was Best Thing He Did For Women This Year | ThinkProgress

16. anxman

anxman Member

That looks like a 2-door roadster to me. The front is very aggressive, which would make sense for a Roadster refresh. Also would corroborate with the 2-door Model S recently seen near Palo Alto, CA.

17. ecarfan

I think the Model S in the background of that shot is an early design concept that never went into production. It is not a 2 door Roadster.
    I am not aware of any reliable reports of a Model S coupe sighting in Palo Alto CA or anywhere. Link?

18. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

It looks like a Model S with a mesh grill.

Tesla_ModelS_Mesh2.png

19. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#19 stopcrazypp, Jul 26, 2015