Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin airport parking with charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had personal experience with a reliable slow charge near the Austin airport? We are flying to LA over labor day weekend to watch the Aggies vs UCLA and I would like to take my Model S from College Station but only if there is reliable charging even with just a normal 3 mph plug. The last time I tried this @ Hobby airport it didn't go well and was pretty annoying. There is no Super Charging along our normal route at this time and the San Marcos one is driving the other way from home.

We can just take my wife's BMW x5 but it is still under mileage warranty so we try to use my out of warranty Model S when it is possible.

I've parked at Fast Park & Relax a couple times. It's pretty nice with gated entry, covered parking, and some charging spots. The shuttle comes around to pick you and your luggage up instantaneously. They are usually there and waiting for you while you are still unloading!

Austin Airport Parking - Discount AUS / ABIA Parking Rates

Both times when I've gone the charging stations were all plugged in. If I remember correctly, there are spots back-to-back for each charging station and they say they will unplug the other driver once it's charged and plug yours in if you let them know. That would take some coordination of calling and getting through to someone that has time to do this for you and remotely opening the charge port, etc. In my case, I had enough charge to make it back to San Marcos so I didn't worry about it. You can call ahead and ask them some questions to see if you feel like it's an option for you.

Good luck and Hook 'Em Horns! lol

Regards, Ben

Reactions: KidDoc
I ageee with the recommendation for Fast Park. As long as there is a spot in the charging section you'll be ok. Even if you can't plug in when you park, the manager can plug you in when someone else is done. No you don't have to remotely open the charge port-- just plug in your J1772 adapter (which locks in place). You need a ChargePoint card but the charging is free.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc and benjiejr
I ageee with the recommendation for Fast Park. As long as there is a spot in the charging section you'll be ok. Even if you can't plug in when you park, the manager can plug you in when someone else is done. No you don't have to remotely open the charge port-- just plug in your J1772 adapter (which locks in place). You need a ChargePoint card but the charging is free.

I know I had a chargepoint card at some point I'll have to dig it up I haven't used it in years. So you just jack you J1772 adapter into the charge port and then they can plug the charger into it, or remove it, if needed right? I haven't tried that in the past.

And looking at your car TexasEV I think I might have met you years ago at the FIRST robotics competition in Houston when you were trying to plug into a non operative chargepoint or Blink. That was back when I had just recently received mine.

I travel a lot and use FastPark extensively. While I've never had a problem getting a charging spot, for a very small fee you can reserve a spot for yourself. Just sign up for their rewards club Airport Parking - Fast Park and them make a reservation. If you want me to send you a referral link for FastPark that will give us both a free day, just send me a DM.

Reactions: benjiejr
Parked at fast park and it worked great. There was a plug available. My car charged at 24a. When it was charged, someone moved to a different car.

I did see notes on windshields. Not sure if Mgmt did it or individuals did it.

- ok to unplug after date/time

- please plug in by date/time

I started the charge with my card. It was free. I assume if they plug it in, they used the parking lot card.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc and benjiejr
Yup worked great! I arrived at 25% or so, charged up to 90% after the first 24 hours then someone unplugged it and moved the plug to another car. I had 83% left after 3 days of vampire loss but only needed 50% to get home anyway. Great experience overall and it was so nice to get back into my old Model S after driving a Chevy Cruze around LA all weekend.

Reviving this thread since I’ll be flying out of the Austin airport next week where I’ll arrive with maybe 40% or so and not enough to return home on. I’ll be gone for 6 days. Have things changed any since the last post? How does parking at a FastCharge EV charging station work? Do I just park and they handle plugging/unplugging the charger for me?

Reviving this thread since I’ll be flying out of the Austin airport next week where I’ll arrive with maybe 40% or so and not enough to return home on. I’ll be gone for 6 days. Have things changed any since the last post? How does parking at a FastCharge EV charging station work? Do I just park and they handle plugging/unplugging the charger for me?
You park and lock in your j1772. You plug in or they do. I'd suggest bringing a piece of paper and a pen so you can leave a note on your dash (either please plug in on xxx or you may unplug on yyy).

But not sure if it's changed in the years since I used it. Saw the stations a month ago or so, but I'm close enough that I don't need to typically charge at the airport.

Reactions: chinhster
Dropped off my car last week early Thursday morning. All the EV spots were taken that I could see. Otherwise good experience.
I always see it full now. Guess people are trying to get back the $10-15 in electricity, even if they don't have a long drive home.

Probably time they charge for it. Even a small nominal amount would probably make a big difference.

Now that we also have a Leaf, I can view the Tesla owners (we have a 3 & S) as opportunistic unnecessary chargers in this situation (sure, some do come from great distance and need it to get home, but not likely most of them). Cannot get away with that with the leaf and it's short range (although it is fantastic that when I come back to it several days later it always has the range I left it with).

Reactions: Not That M3
I always see it full now. Guess people are trying to get back the $10-15 in electricity, even if they don't have a long drive home.

Probably time they charge for it. Even a small nominal amount would probably make a big difference.

Now that we also have a Leaf, I can view the Tesla owners (we have a 3 & S) as opportunistic unnecessary chargers in this situation (sure, some do come from great distance and need it to get home, but not likely most of them). Cannot get away with that with the leaf and it's short range (although it is fantastic that when I come back to it several days later it always has the range I left it with).
Not like it matters in this lot since you are shuttled there, but I think a lot of EV owners just want closer parking at places like the Domain.

Reactions: brkaus