Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin American-Statesman op-ed by auto dealers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree! Tesla should not be treated any differently than any other company that sells it's products online and/or direct to consumers. They are being unfairly singled out and mis-treated by special interests who are blowing smoke to keep their monopoly. I can buy books, clothes, food, and houses online, why not cars? (which I did anyway ;-)

I agree! Tesla should not be treated any differently than any other company that sells it's products online and/or direct to consumers. They are being unfairly singled out and mis-treated by special interests who are blowing smoke to keep their monopoly. I can buy books, clothes, food, and houses online, why not cars? (which I did anyway ;-)
Chris, the issue is not online sales, it's sales occurring in Texas. The online sales technically occur in California and that is why the cars we order online come with temporary CA registration. The issue with the franchise law is Tesla sales can't physically occur in Texas. If that was changed the Tesla "galleries" could become stores like any other store where price is discussed and transactions take place. Also there wouldn't be the extra steps of registering for a test drive "event" and having to go to the tax office to pay the sales tax separately and get the tags. Ordering online would be an option, not a requirement, just like with any company that maintains both physical and online stores.