Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin Build 2023 Quality Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought matri
Driver door interior trim has scratches that can most likely be buffed out
View attachment 910262

Tiny paint chip along the driver's door
View attachment 910263

Misaligned rubber trim along the rear window (passenger side)
View attachment 910264

The trunk's gap along the driver's side is slightly wider than the gap along the passenger's side. But I'm sure Tesla will tell me it's "within spec".
Took the car out for a spin both locally and on the freeway. No issues with the ride and no discernible cabin/vehicle noises that were out of the ordinary. It's going to rain this week in SoCal so that'll be another good test. All in all, the car is fine and my hope is that Tesla will resolve all, if not most, of the minor-to-moderate issues identified. The earliest appointment I was able to book at a nearby service center is March 6 (sigh). I'm going to get the windows tinted before then. Hopefully that doesn't disqualify me from the "100-mile guarantee". After that, I plan to get it detailed, have a paint correction done, then apply a ceramic coating. Sorry for the long, multiple post!
I thought matrix headlights were standard now

I thought matri

I thought matrix headlights were standard now
Just Fremont for now. I’m not sure if Austin is building MYP. If so, matrix headlights are standard with that trim. I’m sure Austin is burning through its existing inventory of non-matrix headlights. I wouldn’t be surprised if they started using them for the deliveries next quarter or the quarter after that.

Just Fremont for now. I’m not sure if Austin is building MYP. If so, matrix headlights are standard with that trim. I’m sure Austin is burning through its existing inventory of non-matrix headlights. I wouldn’t be surprised if they started using them for the deliveries next quarter or the quarter after that.
Needs to be an X in VIN to confirm Matrix lights?

Needs to be an X in VIN to confirm Matrix lights?
I don’t think the type of headlights are embedded intelligently in the VIN. Currently, the only way to determine whether or not your build will come with matrix headlights is if there’s an ‘F’ instead of ‘A’ for the 11th digit to denote it’s from Fremont as opposed to Austin. Again, if Tesla’s supply chain permits it, I wouldn’t be surprised if both factories reached parity on the type of headlights installed by the end of this year. I’m sure since the headlights aren’t as prevalent, it’s not a priority from a software development standpoint.

My MYLR is part of the PA066* batch. Confirmed no matrix. Members with PA07* VINs have started to also confirm theirs do not have matrix.

I picked our Tesla up in Austin on February 3 after a morning flight (we have no dealerships in Lousiana and this was the closest store/showroom whatever) to NOLA that had the car we wanted (mainly my wife wanted a blue one). I will note that this was the very same day we discovered the IRS was reclassifying the Y as an SUV so good news all around).

With that said, everything seems good, except for a rattle on the passenger side, the exact location of which we haven't been able to localize. I listened to the Consumer Reports podcast/review on the Y from a couple years ago and rattling/door alignment was an issue then - and apparently it's something they still haven't fixed.

Picked my Austin build yesterday MYLR - VIN: PA06.. I can confirm NO matrix headlights. I did get a cargo cover. One thing I noticed was my accelerator/brake pedals were not the metal finish. They were just rubber pedals. Do those only come with MYPs?

Other than that, the build quality was amazing. I didn't notice anything wrong with it (no panel gaps, no paint issues, and no scratches).

Picked my Austin build yesterday MYLR - VIN: PA06.. I can confirm NO matrix headlights. I did get a cargo cover. One thing I noticed was my accelerator/brake pedals were not the metal finish. They were just rubber pedals. Do those only come with MYPs?

Other than that, the build quality was amazing. I didn't notice anything wrong with it (no panel gaps, no paint issues, and no scratches).
The metal pedals are on the MYP. MYLR has the rubber ones.

I picked our Tesla up in Austin on February 3 after a morning flight (we have no dealerships in Lousiana and this was the closest store/showroom whatever) to NOLA that had the car we wanted (mainly my wife wanted a blue one). I will note that this was the very same day we discovered the IRS was reclassifying the Y as an SUV so good news all around).

With that said, everything seems good, except for a rattle on the passenger side, the exact location of which we haven't been able to localize. I listened to the Consumer Reports podcast/review on the Y from a couple years ago and rattling/door alignment was an issue then - and apparently it's something they still haven't fixed.
Then everything is not good, I’d be more worried about a rattle than a scratch on the paint. Did you put in service request?

Picked mine up and has some tiny touched up that someone did on the hood. They will fix that by detailing and adding a different touchup as the one they did did not matched the paint.
I found some touch up on the inside of my A pillar that wasn't noticed at delivery, but it started coming off. Service agreed it wasn't right and is taking to their body shop to "do it right". Wish I noticed that at delivery, just shows how important really looking hard can be.

There's a big gap on the front driver side fender trim. Same on the passenger side but not as bad. Mobile tech came to adjust it and it's still there, they'll come back with a new part.

It looks like a bad design from Tesla and there's barely any clips to keep the trim flush.

PXL_20230301_134850231~2.jpg

There's a big gap on the front driver side fender trim. Same on the passenger side but not as bad. Mobile tech came to adjust it and it's still there, they'll come back with a new part.

It looks like a bad design from Tesla and there's barely any clips to keep the trim flush.

View attachment 912646
is this regular range MYAWD or long range Model Y? If long range, theres good chance this can be fixed. If MYAWD.. this could be the structural body casting problem and almost hard to fix

Reactions: BailMY
It is low cost to the products by designing the parts with wider tolerances . It costs more to buy or build parts with smaller tolerances. The tolerances are adding up when building the car and cause misalignments.

Picked mine up a couple weeks ago.
2 minor panel gaps that I didn’t even notice. The worker cleaning my car told me about.

But there is some wind noise coming from the lower driver side windshield once I hit 50+.

I submitted tickets for both. Odd that for the panels gaps they’re sending me to a body shop. I’m in so cal