Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin Build 2023 Quality Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver door interior trim has scratches that can most likely be buffed out
View attachment 910262

Tiny paint chip along the driver's door
View attachment 910263

Misaligned rubber trim along the rear window (passenger side)
View attachment 910264

The trunk's gap along the driver's side is slightly wider than the gap along the passenger's side. But I'm sure Tesla will tell me it's "within spec".
Took the car out for a spin both locally and on the freeway. No issues with the ride and no discernible cabin/vehicle noises that were out of the ordinary. It's going to rain this week in SoCal so that'll be another good test. All in all, the car is fine and my hope is that Tesla will resolve all, if not most, of the minor-to-moderate issues identified. The earliest appointment I was able to book at a nearby service center is March 6 (sigh). I'm going to get the windows tinted before then. Hopefully that doesn't disqualify me from the "100-mile guarantee". After that, I plan to get it detailed, have a paint correction done, then apply a ceramic coating. Sorry for the long, multiple post!
Hey, Everyone. Just wanted to close out my experience with what came out of my 100-mile service. I took the car over to the Alhambra, CA service center on Wednesday, March 8 and got the car back on Saturday, March 11. They were able to address every item listed except for the one to have the driver-side headlight more flush with the front bumper. This was the service note: "Inspected front LH Headlight. Found headlight is within Tesla's CVIS Standards, no adjustment possible at this time." 😞

I had HomeLink recently installed via mobile service and I mentioned it to the service advisor who came over. He said that the high level of effort and labor hours involved to adjust the bumper to align it better with the headlight(s) are generally why they [Tesla] want to avoid it. Hence, "within spec". I found that odd because, for my 100-mile service, the service center took my car to a body shop to replace two sets of plastic trim (rear and front bumpers). 🤔

And for anyone curious, I was given an Uber voucher worth $100 per day from March 8-11 in lieu of a loaner vehicle.

Regardless, I'm glad they were able to address most of my identified concerns/issues. The pending issues that remain are the car's alignment and a low, intermittent whirring noise that occurs when driving above 60 MPH. The wheel leans slightly to the right and the noise isn't from the electrical motor (that I know of), road, or wind. The problem is that it's not consistent and not immediately discernible. 😕

I hope no one else has had to deal with a similar situation. The initial experience has been disappointing but, overall, I'm okay with the vehicle. I'll be a happier camper once Tesla re-enables the safety features for non-USS vehicles. 🤓

edit// searched the forums and found a thread that pertains to the noise I hear
What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

Last edited:
Reactions: BailMY and sivaram
I don’t think the type of headlights are embedded intelligently in the VIN. Currently, the only way to determine whether or not your build will come with matrix headlights is if there’s an ‘F’ instead of ‘A’ for the 11th digit to denote it’s from Fremont as opposed to Austin. Again, if Tesla’s supply chain permits it, I wouldn’t be surprised if both factories reached parity on the type of headlights installed by the end of this year. I’m sure since the headlights aren’t as prevalent, it’s not a priority from a software development standpoint.

My MYLR is part of the PA066* batch. Confirmed no matrix. Members with PA07* VINs have started to also confirm theirs do not have matrix.
Correct. MYLR VIN PA07* do not have matrix.

Hey, Everyone. Just wanted to close out my experience with what came out of my 100-mile service. I took the car over to the Alhambra, CA service center on Wednesday, March 8 and got the car back on Saturday, March 11. They were able to address every item listed except for the one to have the driver-side headlight more flush with the front bumper. This was the service note: "Inspected front LH Headlight. Found headlight is within Tesla's CVIS Standards, no adjustment possible at this time." 😞

I had HomeLink recently installed via mobile service and I mentioned it to the service advisor who came over. He said that the high level of effort and labor hours involved to adjust the bumper to align it better with the headlight(s) are generally why they [Tesla] want to avoid it. Hence, "within spec". I found that odd because, for my 100-mile service, the service center took my car to a body shop to replace two sets of plastic trim (rear and front bumpers). 🤔

And for anyone curious, I was given an Uber voucher worth $100 per day from March 8-11 in lieu of a loaner vehicle.

Regardless, I'm glad they were able to address most of my identified concerns/issues. The pending issues that remain are the car's alignment and a low, intermittent whirring noise that occurs when driving above 60 MPH. The wheel leans slightly to the right and the noise isn't from the electrical motor (that I know of), road, or wind. The problem is that it's not consistent and not immediately discernible. 😕

I hope no one else has had to deal with a similar situation. The initial experience has been disappointing but, overall, I'm okay with the vehicle. I'll be a happier camper once Tesla re-enables the safety features for non-USS vehicles. 🤓

edit// searched the forums and found a thread that pertains to the noise I hear
What is this high pitched cricket like noise?
What body shop? I have a ticket for gap panels and they’re sending it to a body shop in Santa Ana, not Tesla.

What body shop? I have a ticket for gap panels and they’re sending it to a body shop in Santa Ana, not Tesla.
Yeah, it wasn't Tesla. I pulled up the invoice just now but there weren't any notes about which body shop. But I remember when I was checking the progress on the service, it stated that it was going to be sent over to a body shop for the panel gap, front bumper trim replacement, and paint work.

I only mentioned it because I found it odd that I was told that Tesla wants to avoid the cost/work involved with adjusting the headlight alignment with the front bumper when they ended up paying a body shop for the body-related work to address my other concerns anyway. 🤔

Picked up my Austin built LR from Austin on Saturday, 3/18. Drove it back to Houston. Today, I’m already getting the dreaded “Vehicle may not restart” message. Lucky me. A brand new car now with 598 miles. My first dabble in the EV world. Never had something this major in any ICE vehicle.

Reactions: vet757
Austin build. MY LR. 19” Geminis. Clicked Buy on the Saturday following the infamous Thursday price drop. Took delivery Feb 18th in Burbank. Pleased with suspension and handling vs that of the previous MY’s I’ve driven. Fit and finish is quite good. Interior fit/finish and materials is great. No rattles or creaks. Two minor cosmetic flaws. Made a service appt for 1) driver's door not quite flush and 2) passenger side fender/front quarter panel slightly mis-aligned. Door should be an easy fix of adjusting the striker plate, I’d think. But curious about the fender/A-pillar alignment - has anyone had experience with Tesla correcting this kind of panel issue? If both concerns can be corrected the 120 mile round-trip to the Burbank SC will be worth it. Again, these are fine tuning/OCD level issues - big picture: great car!

IMG_1131.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: Abraham
I would assume by the time you get home its expired since you took possession and added 100 miles.
For my case My 100 miles started from delivering my car to my residence
They were lenient on mine and didn't even mention the mileage when I submitted a service request. Was at around 130 miles when I submitted it.

My Austin build had a leaking wiper fluid reservoir, which they replaced. Outstanding issue is paint chip which will require time in the body shop.

After waiting for 2.5 months, I finally got the delivery at Long Beach Location, California. The Austin built car looked great and we were ready to go.

The CAR moved 20 feet and was at a full stop. The emergency lights are on and it says " The engine is ready to shut down". The technicians cannot identify what exactly went wrong. We ended up with a different VIN and hope to get the CAR in March.

I have a Lexus. Can you image if it would ever happen to a Lexus? Is it a right decision to switch to a Tesla?

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
I honestly think Tesla did have bad quality issues in the beginning, I htink for the most part, they are solved. But because of its history, thing issue has been heavily scrutinized under the microscope. And us looking at these horror delivery stories only adds to the fuel. I see just as much from other makes like Nissan and Totoya, infotainment blacks out, buttons don't work and they are new cars. but they never talk about them.
first impressions are lasting …

Picked up my MYLR today and no problems at all.
I wonder what percentage of "no problems at all" deliveries there are vs the problems ones. Sort of imagine the vast majority of "no problems at all" people just never come here to post :) But could be lots of people who just don't notice/care about panel gaps, misaligned headlights, tiny paint chips, etc. Hard to say.

That said, I'm still waiting on mine so happy to see posts like yours haha

I wonder what percentage of "no problems at all" deliveries there are vs the problems ones. Sort of imagine the vast majority of "no problems at all" people just never come here to post :) But could be lots of people who just don't notice/care about panel gaps, misaligned headlights, tiny paint chips, etc. Hard to say.

That said, I'm still waiting on mine so happy to see posts like yours haha
That is honestly why I posted. I started getting some cold feet after reading all the negative posts. I've had the car for a month now and still ZERO issues.
The only things I can complain about are:
Paint - I got black. The paint looks fine. However, every single fingerprint, wipe, little spec of pollen, etc. leaves a mark. I already have several small scratches, even with ceramic coating.
Cruise Control/Autopilot - I love the feature, but it has some bugs.

That is honestly why I posted. I started getting some cold feet after reading all the negative posts. I've had the car for a month now and still ZERO issues.
The only things I can complain about are:
Paint - I got black. The paint looks fine. However, every single fingerprint, wipe, little spec of pollen, etc. leaves a mark. I already have several small scratches, even with ceramic coating.
Cruise Control/Autopilot - I love the feature, but it has some bugs.
Picked up new Y AWD Texas built 3/17. No problem so far. Looking for the flimsy job, nothing. Driven 1k miles. All good.

Austin Build PA095xxx. Overall exterior panel gaps and paint were fine. 4D1 Rear Motor.

Main gripes are the two front door panel alignment gap and paint scratches on the passenger side. Would appreciate any feedback if the interior door panel gaps in the first photo is normal.

Scheduled a service appointment and received the following message: "Please be advised the lines inside the door jams due appear to be within spec but we will inspect."

Attachments

• IMG_9834.jpeg
    IMG_9834.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9823.jpeg
    IMG_9823.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_9827.jpeg
    IMG_9827.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_9798.jpeg
    IMG_9798.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_9799.jpeg
    IMG_9799.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_9795.jpeg
    IMG_9795.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_9806.jpeg
    IMG_9806.jpeg
    543 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_9814.jpeg
    IMG_9814.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 188
Austin build PA082xxxx. A section of the rubber strip between the roof and the lift-gate is under the metal part.
Anyone has the same issue? I’m not sure if that will cause any problems. I’m not too confident that the service center can fix that without causing any problem or making it worse!

Attachments

• CB2B4179-79A7-43C8-90A5-B19F2A8A866D.jpeg
    CB2B4179-79A7-43C8-90A5-B19F2A8A866D.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 4CA0F3D4-C782-42EB-8C23-450603A1A1C5.jpeg
    4CA0F3D4-C782-42EB-8C23-450603A1A1C5.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 27785A3A-83D7-4AA1-9FCF-630361674A14.jpeg
    27785A3A-83D7-4AA1-9FCF-630361674A14.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 128
They were lenient on mine and didn't even mention the mileage when I submitted a service request. Was at around 130 miles when I submitted it.

My Austin build had a leaking wiper fluid reservoir, which they replaced. Outstanding issue is paint chip which will require time in the body shop.
There are probably exceptions. My delivery location is 300ish miles from home. I'm in Maine and have to take delivery in NJ.