Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin built MY LR quick review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it was only available in the US briefly in early 2021. Google it if you want more details. Elon pulled the plug saying the range didn't meet Tesla standards or something to that effect.
FWIW Gigafactory Shanghai is currently producing them or at least a very similar version of it...rear wheel and shorter range. Australia, German, and China markets have them available to order.

Is Tesla still making that model? If not, how long did they produce them?
Not still making in the US. It was offered for sale during Q1 2021. Ours was built Apr 2, 2021.
No, it was only available in the US briefly in early 2021. Google it if you want more details. Elon pulled the plug saying the range didn't meet Tesla standards or something to that effect.
Actually, he said they wouldn't make one because the range wasn't at 250 like the M3 but then they started selling shortly after. Then they stopped abruptly a few weeks later but you could still order for a few weeks in store. I know they continued to make them to fulfill back orders and orders on hold so some people took delivery well into mid/late 2021. It used the then same 2170 battery as the SR M3. With the switch to LFP, it would likely have shorter range than 244 which is optimistic at best, even compared to other Tesla ranges.

As others have said, LFP based SR RWD MY are being produced everywhere except the US for China and European markets. MY is 455 km vs M3 with same battery is 525 km. 13% less. Using that 13% less on the US SR Model Y would go from 263 (M3 2170 in early 2021) to 228. *shrug*

Reactions: rhk109