Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin CHAdeMO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a CHAdeMo adapter a couple of weeks ago, but didn't realize they're on back order. Does anyone know where I can borrow one in the Austin area until mine arrives? I'm looking to start making regular trips this weekend (5/19) and would like the flexibility to charge at one of the CHAdeMo stations just south of DFW.

Also be aware that almost all CHAdeMO chargers in Texas are EVgo, and EVgo costs $11 per 30 minutes of charging on those chargers.

I know, we have an expensive car and shouldn't care about such a paltry amount. I personally don't like being taken advantage of (language changed here), and I feel like EVgo is doing just that. They have a $5 fee to start charging, then charge per minute after that. But they shut the charger off after 30 minutes, which means another $5 start fee, plus you have to go back to the car and restart the charge.

Also be aware that almost all CHAdeMO chargers in Texas are EVgo, and EVgo costs $11 per 30 minutes of charging on those chargers.

I know, we have an expensive car and shouldn't care about such a paltry amount. I personally don't like being taken advantage of (language changed here), and I feel like EVgo is doing just that. They have a $5 fee to start charging, then charge per minute after that. But they shut the charger off after 30 minutes, which means another $5 start fee, plus you have to go back to the car and restart the charge.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of the 30 minute limit. I won't rely on this method regularly, but the times that I do will be worth it.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of the 30 minute limit. I won't rely on this method regularly, but the times that I do will be worth it.
There are a few Nissan dealers that are also agreeable about having Teslas charge at their CHAdeMO charger. Sometimes these are indicated as such on Plugshare, and sometimes not.

I got a CHAdeMO adapter when I bought the car, and have really only used it once when I needed it. The others were just to learn to use it. CHAdeMO is more prevalent in other parts of the country, so I wanted to have it for those travels, although the Supercharger network probably covers 90% of the same area now. Right now there are few Superchargers in urban areas (where CHAdeMO is king), so I thing the adapter is a decent insurance policy.