TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Austin <> Dallas in a Model S 60?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Kcharwood, Apr 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kcharwood

Kcharwood Member

Anyone make this drive often? Can you do it without a stop in Waco? Or is that cutting it to close?

2. rocketdallas

rocketdallas Member

I've made this drive numerous times, but always stop in Waco for the charge.

• Like x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I always stop in Waco.

4. RedRaider

RedRaider Member

The Waco stop is nice and easy. Unless you're going to drive slow, start in North Austin, stop in South Dallas and not get caught in a traffic jam on I35, I don't think that you would make it without stopping in Waco. If you did make it, you would be worried about it for a while.

Stop and do a quick charge. Show your Tesla key at Colin Bakery to get a free drink and relax.

• Like x 1
  5. Kcharwood

Kcharwood Member

Wish there were more nearby food options there. Would be a good meal stop for the kiddos.

Or better yet, wish a supercharger was at buccee's in Temple

• Like x 1
  6. JasJ

JasJ Member

I wish every Bucee's had a supercharger in Texas. They tend to be just outside of town's rather than in... less chance of local's clogging them.

• Like x 2
  7. Kcharwood

Kcharwood Member

Well I didn't pull the trigger on the 60, and now I can get a 75 for the same price. I'm guessing the 75 can do this trip without the Waco stop pretty comfortably?

8. JasJ

JasJ Member

Nope A Better Routeplanner says you still need to stop for at least 5 minutes in a MS75D Austin->Dallas (city centers).

Remember EPA mileage is NOT the range you get driving 75+ mph in Texas heat (A/C) - head wind will make it worse (killed me driving to Corpus from Houston this weekend)

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

evtriplanner.com says, for Austin, TX to Dallas, TX:
    95*, 72* cabin, 10mph wind multiplier 1.0: 215 rated miles, 64.4kWh.
    20mph wind makes it 241 rm, 72.2kWh.

10. JasJ

JasJ Member

evtripplanner uses 70mph for the segment. If you drive that speed, maybe and the wind is not too bad. Me, I like to drive 75+mph on the 75mph roads. I'd stop if needed.
    better.PNG evtrip.PNG