Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin hotels with good EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just charged at the Hyatt Regency on Congress, just south of town lake. There are three High power wall units on the 2nd level just passed the entrance. I was somewhat disappointed in that the units are not rated at 50amps. Two of the units displayed 50/64 amps at 208v. This gave 25 miles per hour. The third unit, nearest the entrance, displayed 32/32 amps at 208v and gave 17 miles per hour. What's the deal? Aren't these supposed to run at 50 amps 250v and deliver 50 miles per hour? I had planned on the higher rate and am now going to have to scramble to get enough range to make my trip successful. The lesson: don't asume that the rated range will will always be available.

at the Hyatt Regency on Congress, ... Two of the units displayed 50/64 amps at 208v. This gave 25 miles per hour. The third unit, nearest the entrance, displayed 32/32 amps at 208v and gave 17 miles per hour. What's the deal?
Wow, interesting. I infer that this was a "visit to charge" and you weren't staying overnight. Since I'm planning a business trip soon to lower North Congress (near the lake), I had called the Hyatt and they actually don't know a lot about their own charging setup.
It appears there is a fee for Hyatt guests to park in the garage. Now, since my company allows the Hyatt as well as Embassy Suites... I think I might as well stay at the Embassy (free breakfast and parking) and utilize the ChargePoints at One Texas Center right behind them. Austin Energy PlugIn EVerywhere membership is hyped on the stanchion, but [(edited - Thanks TexasEV!) they can be activated with the ChargePoint membership card or app].
Rick

Last edited:
I just charged at the Hyatt Regency on Congress, just south of town lake. There are three High power wall units on the 2nd level just passed the entrance. I was somewhat disappointed in that the units are not rated at 50amps. Two of the units displayed 50/64 amps at 208v. This gave 25 miles per hour. The third unit, nearest the entrance, displayed 32/32 amps at 208v and gave 17 miles per hour. What's the deal? Aren't these supposed to run at 50 amps 250v and deliver 50 miles per hour? I had planned on the higher rate and am now going to have to scramble to get enough range to make my trip successful. The lesson: don't asume that the rated range will will always be available.
Most commercial power is 208V rather than 240V. HPWCs can be set to use circuits ranging from 50A to 100A (delivering 40A to 80A). It depends on what power is available at the location. I don't know where you are in Texas, but for example the HPWCs for the Tesla gallery at Northpark in Dallas are on 208V, 70A circuits and deliver 56A. A 14-50 outlet on a 240V, 50A circuit, the typical garage setup, delivers 29 miles/hr so you can set up the ratios for the different voltage and amps at any given location to predict what miles/hr range you will add.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, interesting. I infer that this was a "visit to charge" and you weren't staying overnight. Since I'm planning a business trip soon to lower North Congress (near the lake), I had called the Hyatt and they actually don't know a lot about their own charging setup.
It appears there is a fee for Hyatt guests to park in the garage. Now, since my company allows the Hyatt as well as Embassy Suites... I think I might as well stay at the Embassy (free breakfast and parking) and utilize the ChargePoints at One Texas Center right behind them. Austin Energy PlugIn EVerywhere membership may be required though, maybe just ChargePoint, I am not certain because I do have the PIE at $25/6 mo.

Rick
Chargepoint cards work at the Chargepoint stations in Austin. You don't need to sign up for the Austin Energy unlimited use program to access them.

$6 to park in Austin Hyatt for 4 hours- it is a role the street from the embassy suites

- - - Updated - - -

At the Domain shopping mall in North Austin there are two wall Tesla wall chargers and a NEMA 50 on the 2nd level of the parking garage across the street from the Loft hotel. No charge for parking or power.

At the Domain shopping mall in North Austin there are two wall Tesla wall chargers
And these are a great option. I made late-night runs to these during the ComicCon / ACL weekend. Our Hampton had not even a 110 plug outside. I used the ChargePoint in the Convention Center Garage for a couple of hours - 18 mph but the parking rate is tourist high.

Yep - all of the Austin Energy ones I have seen are $2/hr with a ChargePoint card. As you mentioned, the main thing for them is that you don't need to sign up for their monthly membership, you only need your ChargePoint card.

I just charged at the Hyatt Regency on Congress, just south of town lake.

I attended a SxSW event last Saturday and valeted here and asked to be plugged in. Glad to have the service, but surprised that the charger was limited. I was also pulling around 20 miles per hour. Luckily my event was 7 hours so I got enough charge to get back to the Columbus SuperCharger with a lot of other running around. I think the destination charging program should also list max amps. This goes for the Galleries as well. Austin Domain is limited to 70 amps, and Dallas Northpark is even lower.

Sure, I get that. However, I'd like to see Tesla giving priority to companies that agree to higher amp installations, and to provide some incentive to do this, Tesla should include the max amps on the website where they list the destination charging locations. They should also do this for the Tesla locations where they have issues getting enough power like Northpark. I explicitly went to Northpark to charge thinking they had full power HPWCs. Had I known they didn't, I would have gone to the Silver Fox (which I did later). Currently the text for the Tesla gallery in Dallas says "7 Tesla connectors, available 24/7 located at Macy's parking garage. Please call Sales to confirm availability." It should also say the max amps. On the Silver Fox entry it does say "up to 80 amps" so there is precedence for that.

I attended a SxSW event last Saturday and valeted here and asked to be plugged in. Glad to have the service, but surprised that the charger was limited. I was also pulling around 20 miles per hour. Luckily my event was 7 hours so I got enough charge to get back to the Columbus SuperCharger with a lot of other running around. I think the destination charging program should also list max amps. This goes for the Galleries as well. Austin Domain is limited to 70 amps, and Dallas Northpark is even lower.
Dallas Northpark HPWCs are on 70A circuits, so 56A output.

The Hyatt's three HPWCs are not identically powered.
The one on the left (as you face the wall) is the wimpy one.
I'll have to refer to my notes on PlugShare for the exact amperages... I see 32A was logged... but preferred are the rightward ones!

The Georgetown rec center (north of Austin, exit 262 iirc) has two free CP chargers, available 24/7, but not really near something.

The Austin Energy ChargePoint deal is $25 for 6 months unlimited charging, for residents, it is a line item on our electric bill. This same bill gets our solar credits added in, so mostly my driving is free. Most of the chargers at 6.6 kwh shared poles (so if you are the only one on the pole you get the full 6.6).

The Chargepoint website lists well over 350 sites in the Austin area, but I'm sure they are each pole and not sites...

The Austin Energy ChargePoint deal is $25 for 6 months unlimited charging, for residents, it is a line item on our electric bill.
Non-residents can buy in to this, too. Same rate, $25 is prepaid on a credit card every 6 months.
Search for "Plug-In EVerywhere" on your web engine of choice :)

Lots and lots of ChargePoint stations on this plan in Austin. $2/hr otherwise I believe.

Non-residents can buy in to this, too. Same rate, $25 is prepaid on a credit card every 6 months.
Search for "Plug-In EVerywhere" on your web engine of choice :)

Lots and lots of ChargePoint stations on this plan in Austin. $2/hr otherwise I believe.

Correct. My poorly structured sentence was to only imply that residents get it as a line item on their electric bill. I recall the AE rep saying he's got 10s of out of area and a couple of out of state subscribers.

Do any of you Austinites know whether the gallery at the Domain still allows owners to use their HPWC? I am visiting a friend in Austin this weekend and the gallery will be the closest charging option > 30 amps.

I believe you have to call ahead or they may be using it for test drivers. There are several destination chargers free to the public in the area as well. The Lone Star Court at the south end of the Domain for example, they've let me charge every time I've asked. There are a couple of 16 kW ones nearby as well.