Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin Model Y Trunk Cargo Tie Down Hooks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I plan to swap my Model 3 for a Model Y but not until cargo tie down hooks are added to US made models, as they are in the MIC and MIB Model Y. (We transport our dog in a crate that must be secured to a proper tie down system.) So, does anyone know if the made in Austin Model Ys have cargo tie down hooks? (I’ve searched far and wide but can’t find an answer.) Thanks for the help.

Daniel

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I plan to swap my Model 3 for a Model Y but not until cargo tie down hooks are added to US made models, as they are in the MIC and MIB Model Y. (We transport our dog in a crate that must be secured to a proper tie down system.) So, does anyone know if the made in Austin Model Ys have cargo tie down hooks? (I’ve searched far and wide but can’t find an answer.) Thanks for the help.

Daniel
In case you never got a reply, my MYLR from Austin does NOT have tiedown hooks. I picked mine up June 28.

I know this post is almost a year old now, but I just came cross it while researching anchor points in the back of of the MY. If it's just to keep a dog crate from sliding, what you could do is wrap the tie down straps around the bottom of the floor panels, both the forward and rear ones. That should make the crate and floor panels one solid unit. If it still slides, maybe add a rubber mat, or cargo liner, in between.

Reactions: andaconda
We added tie downs to our 2021 model Y without any drilling. Removed the rear trunk floor and the carpet in the bucket area and then used the existing bucket bolts to attach a motorcycle tie down. We ran a tie down strap from that hook under and to the outside of the side rails the the floor sits on.
8FB7236E-C143-4E39-B7B1-D8CBD5243F3C.jpeg
3A96D5B1-3261-4357-8A0B-EEFAEA1ABA3B.jpeg

The motorcycle tie down might be hard to source—attaching and 8-hook under that same bolt would probably work as well!

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and positiv
@black_mamba can you please elaborate what do mean by wrapping tie downs around floor panels? I have same problem as OP - need to secure dog crate in the trunk
So, we removed the carpeting and the molded pieces on each side that the floor panels rest on. We then ran the straps under the molded side piece (think run them from the tie down location into those side pockets in the trunk). We then reassembled the trunk carpet pieces—put the bucket floor back in, then the molded side pieces go over the tie down straps (so that the straps are essentially sitting in those side bucket areas still, running under the molded side pieces). You put the floor panel back in and then the strap comes up the side of the floor like what you see in the picture. Does that help??

I’m a little confused. Did you have to cut the carpet at any point? Have any additional pics to clarify?
No, we didn’t cut the carpet. The carpet comes out in several pieces. We took four pieces out—the back floor panel, the two side rails, and then the piece that lines the rear bucket. Just run the straps to each side and then reinstall the carpet pieces. This is a pic from an earlier attempt (before we found the motorcycle tie down). Maybe it is a bit clearer on how the strap is running.
1682334601916.jpeg

Reactions: Occhis