Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin MYLR shutdown on road after 85 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery on Monday with 15 miles, on Friday, when stopped at a signal, car display showed a red alert to pull over to roadside asap, something like "shutting down. rear motor power limited" or something like that. Remote diagnostics asked me to not to drive, not even 1 mile so I can reach home, and sent a tow truck.
Service center rep said it could be a drive unit problem.
(The wireless charger was also not working, charging 1% in 30 mins with phone case off, reported that as well)

Will post when I know the full diagnostics, anyone else facing such issues with Austin deliveries? My vin is 010xxx.

Attachments

• PXL_20220826_182953471.jpg
    PXL_20220826_182953471.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 191
I wish the MODs would create a STICKY where folks could post their VIN, mileage, date of the event, how long it took to get a tow, an appointment etc of when these events occur and how long it took to get them back on the road. There seems to be a rash of these issues and tracking this issue would be helpful. I am sure tesla has all this info, but owners should also.

MODs PLEASE?

I wish the MODs would create a STICKY where folks could post their VIN, mileage, date of the event, how long it took to get a tow, an appointment etc of when these events occur and how long it took to get them back on the road. There seems to be a rash of these issues and tracking this issue would be helpful. I am sure tesla has all this info, but owners should also.

MODs PLEASE?
The link I posted is a sticky in the Driving Dynamics section

Reactions: yser
I'm curious... this thread seems to talk like every rear motor out there is failing, requiring root cause analysis etc. Is it really widespread or are we just feeling like it because everyone that has a problem posts on this forum? No analysis is required if only 1 in a thousand fails, as an example. Parts will fail, it's just a fact. It's the rate of failure that's important.

The car broke down on the 26th (3 days after taking delivery), it has been 8 days since then, the car is parked exactly as the tow truck lowered, tesla support hasn't even touched it yet, and no diagnosis, they offered a loaner 2 days ago, when I went to pick up, the AC was not working in it, came back empty handed once again. Support response has been "we are too busy", either there are too many cars with severe probs like mine ahead of me, or they are severely understaffed, or both. If a car breaking down within 100 miles is not a top priority for the service team to take up (or at least diagnose), I don't know what is. Uber credits don't help when you have to pick up and drop off two kids at two different schools morning and evening.

• Informative
Reactions: IndyGopher
The car broke down on the 26th (3 days after taking delivery), it has been 8 days since then, the car is parked exactly as the tow truck lowered, tesla support hasn't even touched it yet, and no diagnosis, they offered a loaner 2 days ago, when I went to pick up, the AC was not working in it, came back empty handed once again. Support response has been "we are too busy", either there are too many cars with severe probs like mine ahead of me, or they are severely understaffed, or both. If a car breaking down within 100 miles is not a top priority for the service team to take up (or at least diagnose), I don't know what is. Uber credits don't help when you have to pick up and drop off two kids at two different schools morning and evening.
Sounds like you should have taken the loaner.

Got the problem diagnosed yesterday (the 11th day) and fixed by today. 12 days at the service center, the fix was the replacement of "rear motor inverter assembly".
However, noticed a dent in the front bumper, probably caused by the tow truck or by other machinery near the service center (the car was parked on an open lot, with forklifts operating near it all the time, moving parts like windshields around). First, they said it was not their problem but later acknowledged the pics they took when they received the car didn't show any dents, and agreed to fix (replace the front bumper) for free, and set up a subsequent appt for it.

I have mixed feelings about the whole experience, but at least the staff at the service center were really helpful and professional. It was probably my bad luck.

Reactions: ewkid and Corndart
Another Tesla owner with "bad luck" our 5-day-old MYP died and was towed to our Service Center on Aug 31st. It's day 8 and it's still there. Mine was caused by a "crimped ground strap". The part is either lost in FedEx or never shipped. I can't get a straight answer.

I did get a loaner but a planned trip to celebrate our granddaughter's 7th birthday in Maryland is in jeopardy.

This is frustrating for new owners - parts availability and overworked Service Centers

Took delivery on Monday with 15 miles, on Friday, when stopped at a signal, car display showed a red alert to pull over to roadside asap, something like "shutting down. rear motor power limited" or something like that. Remote diagnostics asked me to not to drive, not even 1 mile so I can reach home, and sent a tow truck.
Service center rep said it could be a drive unit problem.
(The wireless charger was also not working, charging 1% in 30 mins with phone case off, reported that as well)

Will post when I know the full diagnostics, anyone else facing such issues with Austin deliveries? My vin is 010xxx.
MY M3LR is at the NW SC. Rear motor failure. Picked up on Aug 20, and has spent the last 2 weeks in SC... Happy Days! Ironically, I was supposed to pick the car up today as per the app. About 10 minutes from the SC, I got a call telling me it would be Friday... More Happy Days!

Reactions: yser