TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Austin - new facility coming

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Zaphod, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

2. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

#2 Twiglett, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    At least that would be a little easier to get to than the Burnet Rd location

[edit]
    Looking at Google maps, it looks like it could be 12833 Research Blvd rather than the 12345 noted in the article. The map shows a couple of buildings there, but street view show the demolition had already started.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

It's not a rumor, and it's old news reported on this site months ago. The new service center will be at Hwy 183 and Pond Springs Rd.

Maybe that's an easier location for Twiglett, but I'm much closer to the current Burnet Rd. location. They definitely need more space though.

4. GregTexas

GregTexas Member

I dug this address up as well. I assume there will be superchargers. I wanted to see nearby eating places. Looks like Jack in the Box and a bakery are the choices.

5. Zaphod

Well, I guess we can have a mod edit the thread title then. I hadn't seen it before.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Why would you assume that? It's not on a highway used much for long distance travel but there are hundreds of Model S within a few miles of it.

7. GregTexas

GregTexas Member

Someone working at The Domain store hinted superchargers would be there and the new service/sales center in north Houston has superchargers.

8. Twiglett

A supercharger on 183 would be a odd place to put it, but easier for Tesla as they already own the location.
    If there was one between San Marcos and Waco a better location could be the 130/45 intersection in Stone Hill Town Center.
    Lots of food options there.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

The distance from San Marcos to Waco along I-35 is 147 miles, a little longer than most spacing, but I agree a supercharger in northwest Austin wouldn't help that. A supercharger there may be useful for service, but in terms of enabling long distance travel it would be solving a problem that doesn't exist. There is very little traffic north of Austin on 183 that isn't local traffic, and most of that non-local traffic begins or ends in Austin. I can think of a dozen better locations in Texas to cover first-- starting with the Baytown gap on I-10 and 281 from DFW to Amarillo so traffic heading west doesn't have to go all the way north to Oklahoma City and turn left.

10. Twiglett

You'll get no argument from me there :)
    There is so much of Texas that is out of range of a reasonable charging option.

11. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

Superchargers are a good idea at busy Service Centers because the desire is to hand serviced cars back to customers nicely charged up - and if you're relying on 9.6kW chargers built into the car, it can become difficult. 120kW FTW!!!

They are also used for charging up demo cars, which can lose a lot of charge when being run into the ground repeatedly during ludicrous test drives.

As for being in a population center, I can only foresee some owners getting cease and desist letters for Supercharging too often :)

All that said... I haven't heard any evidence that there will be Superchargers at this location. Not sure there is the room available, the site isn't that big.

12. brkaus

brkaus Member

They could put in a supercharger "for official internal use only"...

Have that done that anywhere? I was thinking it would be useful with test drives back to back and such. Much less planning required.

I had to make sure I returned my demo 4 hours before next person to ensure it was charged.

13. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I had a 12v battery replaced under warranty, and decided to Supercharge before driving back to work. (North Houston Service Center)
    When I stopped the charging and removed the cable, an Error appeared which turned out to be a fault in the Battery Heater. The techs replaced the heater and said it was fortunate that my random Supercharging "pushed the heater over the threshold" so that if failed right there at the Service Center (not weeks later on a road trip).

Supercharging ain't always about saving pennies or traveling. It can be an important part of a complete Checklist!

• Like x 1
  14. AlbertOnMars

AlbertOnMars Member

Stopped by the new service center yesterday and took some photos..

Attached Files:

15. Zaphod

Nice! Thanks for posting the pictures. Does anyone know estimated completion/opening?

16. HillCountryFun

Anyone have an update on the new Service Center construction status?

17. Twiglett

I drive past a few times a week. It seems mostly done on the outside, but there where no signs etc other than the original one that's always been there.
    I'll try swing by this weekend and take pictures

• Like x 1
  18. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Zaphod, have you checked to be sure that M3 comes with a double headrest option? :)

• Funny x 1
  19. Zaphod

You know, it took me a bit to figure out what you were saying, but then it finally hit me. Just in the one head though. :p

• Funny x 1
  20. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Well, on the one hand… :)