Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin paint different from Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a common topic over the years about the paint on Tesla cars made in California not being as hard or durable cars produced elsewhere because of California laws that dictate paint components that result in those drawbacks. Usually in the context of discussions about car washes or paint protection film.

However, I've never seen a definitive source that confirms that. So...anyone know if this is really true? If so how do you know?

More important, the topic of this post, will the paint from the Austin factory be different....better? Harder or longer lasting because it will be a different composition?

There's a common topic over the years about the paint on Tesla cars made in California not being as hard or durable cars produced elsewhere because of California laws that dictate paint components that result in those drawbacks. Usually in the context of discussions about car washes or paint protection film.

However, I've never seen a definitive source that confirms that. So...anyone know if this is really true? If so how do you know?

More important, the topic of this post, will the paint from the Austin factory be different....better? Harder or longer lasting because it will be a different composition?
Yes. It’s even broken down on a county-basis to be more ridiculous.

As automotive paint goes, Calif paint is about as durable as Water Paint your kids use. Am hoping Texas vehicles get a more durable paint along with some NEW color options. Aside from the 4680 batteries, I want some new paint options. Once it's confirmed that ALL new Model Y's will come from Texas we will trade in our 2020 Model Y.

So Elon, hurry up and take my money.