Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin tax preparation advice: want my $7500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Austin Texas owners, please point me in the right direction. I can’t seem to find someone competent or experienced in ev tax incentives. The lady at round rock Tex center insists I’m only gonna get $750 of the tax credit,,,,,,,my wife and I brought in over $130k in taxable income, so I know this can’t be right.

I am not a tax person, with that said, the only reason I can think of is that your tax liability is <$7500. In your scenario that would mean you only had $750 in tax liability after taking into account other tax deductions and such. The EV tax credit is nonrefundable, which means it can only reduce your liability to 0. Did you have a lot of other deductions and credits in 2018 that could have dropped your tax liability a lot?

Of course the devil are in the details, there could be more at play but that's what I'm thinking of, but that's what I'm thinking of.

Any Austin Texas owners, please point me in the right direction. I can’t seem to find someone competent or experienced in ev tax incentives. The lady at round rock Tex center insists I’m only gonna get $750 of the tax credit,,,,,,,my wife and I brought in over $130k in taxable income, so I know this can’t be right.
Maybe she just misread or is misinformed about the amount of the credit? I can imagine that someone who doesn't deal with lots of people buying EVs might miss that extra zero at the end.

If you use one of the software packages, it will easily walk you through the steps. Anyone that doesn't know how to do it shouldn't be trusted as a tax professional..
But you DO have to owe more than $7500 in taxes. No, this isn't the amount that you expect to get as a refund, it is the amount of tax that is calculated that you owe. You probably will have already paid a good portion of it and will therefore receive a reimbursement of it.
Be aware, than this may result in more taxes on state income taxes.

Reactions: Shaggy
Give TurboTax a try and see what it comes up with, you don't have to pay anything until you file with it. My household makes less and I got the full $7500. I don't have a dependent to claim for 2018 though.

Might also be possible you and your wife have a lot of taxes withheld from your paychecks.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV