Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin tire installation?

thenaimis

Former Tesla Cheerleader
Sep 26, 2016
Texas
I need to replace my front tires and am looking for alternatives to taking it to the service center. Has anyone used another shop and if so, what are the good and bad things and specific location for your experience?

Xd85

Oct 20, 2017
Central Ohio
I need to replace my front tires and am looking for alternatives to taking it to the service center. Has anyone used another shop and if so, what are the good and bad things and specific location for your experience?
Took my S to cedar park costco for a full set. no problems. Comes with road hazard and even got 100% rather than 78% nitrogen:rolleyes:. Other locations may or may not have the jack pads (yes they know about these, which was reassuring)

• Informative
Reactions: thenaimis

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
Just call around and ask if they can change the tires on a Tesla. General answers are:
  • No
  • Uh, just a sec
  • Yes
  • Yes, we've done a number of them
Don't go to the first two. Definitely go to the last.

So I get my tires from TireRack and then have NTB on 290 down here in Oak Hill put them on. Its worked great thru 2 sets of tires for the MS and 2 for our hybrid Highlander. Love TireRack and thier road hazard warraty that comes with all the tires they sell. Also, they have lots of great research on different tires for different types of driving and weather.

good luck

• Informative

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Not sure about all Tesla models, but many of them have foam lined tires. Feedback is mixed if it actually helps noise.

the tire models you get from Costco, discount tire, etc do not necessarily have the foam.

had tires put on my S at Costco South Austin with no problems.

• Informative

thenaimis

Former Tesla Cheerleader
Sep 26, 2016
Texas
Currently leaning towards buying on amazon (cheapest prices) and installing at maybe NTB. Discount Tire is closer, but they're always busy. I might drive by the NTB to chat first just to work out their capabilities. Luckily the in-car manual is working again despite my not having installed any software updates since they last broke it. (2018.42)

Shaggy

Aug 9, 2015
Austin
Just got my first set after 37k. Got it at the Costco on 183 and MoPac. Decent pricing even against tirerack.com. Right now there is a $150 kickback from manufacturer.

Xd85

Oct 20, 2017
Central Ohio
Just got my first set after 37k. Got it at the Costco on 183 and MoPac. Decent pricing even against tirerack.com. Right now there is a $150 kickback from manufacturer.
Good to know. Back in June they told me they could only do 3 and X cause it would be ‘months’ before they got the S jack pad.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC